Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: scratch build 7.62x25 on ak reciver blow back

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

what about a buffer of some sort were the bolt stop is on the custom trunion?? then perhaps mild steel could be used or aluninum would be possable for the trunion and possably the carrier if the weight could be added or in a 22LR build? hardend hammer activater could be added as well. . those CZ 52 extractors dont look bad for around $15.
    ill look into the beretta stuf as well. I have a idea for my own design as well If I got to make a entire bolt from scratch Ill just make the extractor as well or possably use a AK design. if a plunger ejector was added then you could use some key stock for lower rails and mill wider groves in the bolt/carrier and then eleminate the guide rod posssably. this would rule out a standard NDS 3 reciver un less you removed the ejector tip and kept the slots thin. but it would work good on a bent flat

Feedback Score

Well, I just remembered that I got a luger barrel for free because it has a ring in it, someone with a barrel wrench got a little excited... I'll make one of them 24Hr AKs, it'll be easy having a mill at my disposal. I figure if it ain't accurate it won't matter much, as the barrel was free and the materials wouldn't be all that much...

EDIT: The Orion's hammer guy is the one that made an AR lower out of a cutting board!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

well I got 2 cases of 7.62x25 and a PPS-43 kit w 4 mags and some other crap coming from sportsman guide. with the membership that I got at the same time. I hope its Rommy ammo its 80,s production. I was going to order just 4 mags but figured for a extra 30 I could get the kit as well. I picked up some of the 32 auto adapters for my
    30-06 as well. Ill get a reamer coming soon I have a couple barrel blanks to chamber.

with almst 2500 rounds to play with I better build some thing. Who has small ring mausers for sale cheap??? one of those would be cool with a detachable mag in x25 maybe with a 16" barrel and a thumbhole stock. be a good gun for my kid to learn on.

how does stainless hols up to the corrosive ammo????

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

1biggun, I don't think you should spend the money on a 74 bolt. Look here and see how this bushing fits a 47 bolt to size it down for x25 & 9mm, you can see the ejector will hit just the edge of the case.
    '+windowtitle+'
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    Im on the fence as well about if a mild steel bolt will be okor the trunion for that matter.
    Ill likley do a mild steel proof on design carrier first and see how it goes.
    Perzackitly.

Use plain old chicken-wire grade 1018 or 1020 mild steel to prototype with. It's easy to machine and cheap. Use those to debug the design. Any deformation will tell you exactly where you need a harder metal, carburizing, or whatever.

I don't see that the trunnion would have to be anything other than mild steel; all it's doing is holding the barrel to the receiver. Unless you get radical skeletonizing it, it'll still be way stronger than the screws or rivets holding it to the receiver.

If the bolt slides back and forth like an AK bolt carrier, that's a lot of area to slide. That might not be an issue. You might need to heat treat the area where the hammer hits, or you might could just built it up a bit with some MIG weld and grind it back down; ordinary ER70 wire is a lot harder than mild steel.

(unsolicited advice) Build something that will fire reliably, then worry about how long it lasts before parts get peened, mushroomed, or egged. If you get too much invested in a particular design, it gets harder to backtrack and start over if you find a better way.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    EDIT: The Orion's hammer guy is the one that made an AR lower out of a cutting board!
    Someone over there made several out of wood. Not fancy wood either.

I have a tendency of over-think or over-design things. If you go down that route far enough, you will eventually complicate things enough that you just give up. Which is why I developed a new mantra: "Perfect is the enemy of good enough." The AK is a shining example of that philosophy.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I don't see that the trunnion would have to be anything other than mild steel; all it's doing is holding the barrel to the receiver. Unless you get radical skeletonizing it, it'll still be way stronger than the screws or rivets holding it to the receiver.
    Im concernd about the hammering that the carrier will do on the trunion when it closes on a empty chamber. there is going to be a pretty good impact. but like you mentioned its got to be stronger than the screws or rivets is a good point.

1biggun, I don't think you should spend the money on a 74 bolt. Look here and see how this bushing fits a 47 bolt to size it down for x25 & 9mm, you can see the ejector will hit just the edge of the case.
    '+windowtitle+'

Im not a big fan of welding on bolts even if there blow back. I know lots of guys have done it. Im guessing a 7.62 bolt is around $35-$45 now and a 5.45 is $50. for a extra $15 im not sure its worth the hassel of striping the bolt welding in a ring then cutting the ring to clear the rails and the ejector.

I have a spare bolt that I may try it on. I was thinking of just pressing a 74 bolt into home made carrier and pining it in place possably. I would likely need to shorten the stem and the firing pin to make one work on a shortend reciver. unless I can come up with a bolt I can make un under 2 hours id be better to buy a 74 bolt for $50. Instead of welding in a delicate ring I would likely weld in a solid disk that I could keep the heat on and then just mill out the center to the correct size. I have a tig but I doubt the ring would still be round when I got done. Im going to buildwith out a kit for the pistol. but a ring may be worth it on say a AMD 65 conversion. I have a couple of those kits and it might be worth it in that case. HMMMM

for $85 you can get a bolt and carrier assembly add that to a $165 amd 65 kit and add a barrel lets for say $75. sell of the old carrier and bolt for around $50 to offset the cost of the 74 carrier and a guy could build a gas (im not welding on a gas bolt) or blow back pretty reasonably.
    if a mag well that simply snaped or bolted in were devised it would be a simple build on a standard reciver.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    Im concernd about the hammering that the carrier will do on the trunion when it closes on a empty chamber. there is going to be a pretty good impact. but like you mentioned its got to be stronger than the screws or rivets is a good point.
    Good thought. I'll have to put some 1/8" rubber gasket material on the trunnion where the bolt would hit it, the barrel I have is chambered with 1/8" of cartridge out the back, so I figure it'd close far enough on a round, but would have the rubber as a cushion at the end of the mag.
    Last edited by [486]; 08-06-2009 at 05:38 PM.

Feedback Score

I came up with a modification to the bolt on the orion's hammer build.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.