Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: .243 win based on AK innards

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Good luck with every thing. that stuffs a lot more important than guns.

Feedback Score

A few difficulties, but everything is fine and mom and baby doing great! It came out a pretty good scratch build...loads and ejects just fine now. Tends to be kind of squeaky, though.

Brendan Albrecht
    6lb 9oz
    9/23/09

Of course, might as well take advantage of the down time during delivery....
    I snapped this pic and figured all the gun-build forums would like it. I was designing stock parts and such in the delivery room. I had over 8 hrs to spend before it got busy.

Feedback Score

Here's some barrel work on the 243 (and couple break-action rifles in 357 max and 270 also). For the 243, a section was de-tapered where the gas block will be; the muzzle recessed, crowned at 12* and threaded 9/16-24; the chamber turned down to 0.957 so it will be a nice friction fit for a 0.954 hole.

Here's the rear trunnion base. There will be another part that fits onto the top. I haven't made up my mind what it will look like, so I just did the bottom section. This will get a hinge and a pair of locking-pin holes for the folding stock I'm making.

Feedback Score

This is a cool thread. I am new to building but i had no idea you could rechamber an AK! I am going to have to check in on this one. How did you resize the bolt face? A .243 has a base dia. of .473 as compared to .445 of the 7.62x39?
    IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

This is a cool thread. I am new to building but i had no idea you could rechamber an AK! I am going to have to check in on this one. How did you resize the bolt face? A .243 has a base dia. of .473 as compared to .445 of the 7.62x39?

you can cut the bolt face on a mill or drill press with the correct end mill or you can do it on a lathe. doing the bolt face is the easy part.

Feedback Score

I can only imagine. Lots of time spent at the bench ends up as alot of pride. Nice work,very nice!
    IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE

Feedback Score

There's lots of threads around here for modifying AK's for other calibers. I use a small lathe for facing bolts, chambers, etc. A mill bit works well. I also make use of the steady rest mounted on a section that has been trued to the bore, then use a sharp carbide bit or the mill bit. For this particular one, I'm not modifying existing AK parts, I'm making them from scratch since it required a lot of mods and I wasn't sure I could do what i wanted to do with existing parts. It's a lot more work, but it'll be strong enough for any 243 load and have all the custom features I wanted.

I got some more done on the front trunnion, but have been out of the country for a bit and haven't had a chance to mess much with it. I should have the trunnion done by the end of this week. After that, the bolt will be made, then the bolt carrier and gas system parts. Or at least that's the plan. Of course, I just got back yesterday and an coming down with some sort of flu like crud. Who knows what sombody coughed up on me during all the plane and train rides the last couple weeks!

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Erie Ordnance Depot does some simplified trunnions for blowback conversions. I've attached a picture. Note that it's welded up from pieces.

Also, there are a lot of weird bumps and cuts on a standard carrier that don't appear to do anything. I suspect they're to accomodate the full-auto bits we don't use.

You could use the same basic idea and use a piece of thickwall tubing to hold the cam track. I first realized that the depth of the track didn't have to be consistent, as long as the bolt lug had enough clearance. You could make some centers for the mill table and "peck" with a center-cutting end mill to make the track, then finish it with a Dremel.

I have three bolt carriers here, and the cam tracks are slightly different in each one. I don't think it matters a whole lot. Also note the important side of the track is the one that unlocks the bolt; the "kicker" on the bullet guide takes care of locking.

One of the carriers I have is from a well-used Maadi, and the track is beaten up a bit. Case hardening or 4130/4140 might be a good idea.

Anyway, I don't think you *have* to use a fancy 4-axis setup to cut the track, at least for DIY purposes. And I'd probably try plain chicken-wire-grade 1018 for the main bits and see how the rail bearing area held up in service. 1018 would be a whole lot cheaper and easier to machine, enough to be worth a try, anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

they have had these CARRIERS/BOLTS out for a while now. I have some thing simular in the works woth out the pison for a gude rod build.

as far as making a carrier from scratch for a gas op gun beside the benifit of I made it myself your looking at a lot of work to make a part that can be bought for $20.

Id like to see a all made in the USA variant as well but untill there not avalaible im sticking making what is't.

good point however that the cam track could be made seperatly.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    as far as making a carrier from scratch for a gas op gun beside the benifit of I made it myself your looking at a lot of work to make a part that can be bought for $20.
    Well, what's the fun in that?!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.