I drew up some plans for a rifle back in march and have been slowly collecting material and various parts as time/funds permit.
I'm starting with a TAPCO flat and the front end off an M70AB2. Originally, I was going to custom make the entire trunnion, but I thin I can modify the milled stub off the M70 easily to avoid a complete scratch build on the front trunnion.
I decided to go with G3 mags for the 243 shells. The reasoning behind this was the simple fact that I think they are cool as hell looking for a mag. The gas block/forward sight and muzzle attachement are also going to look a lot like a G3/HK, so they'll compliment each other.
I'm still undecided on the BCG. I'll probably just modify the M70 BCG. I might have to redo the upper half of the carrier to fit my low-profile needs, but doing that and redoing the piston shouldn't be too hard. Due to a longer gas tube, i was already going to have to redo the piston.
Forward grips will be made from 6061-T6 aluminum and freefloat around the barrel assembly. The barrel is a Rem mod-700 in 243 win. I cut it down to 17.5" and the muzzle is target crowned and outside threaded for 9/16"x24 (i already had those tap/die combo).
I finished my AK bending jig and got it tweaked so it bends the flats to an inside width of 1.245". To use the G3 mags, I'm going with a magwell. I bent up one using 0.032", 1050 steel. This is nice in that it fits just inside the AK frame when properly sized to fit the mags and when the dimples have been flattened. In the pic, it's still a bit large. It'll get the top 1/2" or so trimmed off and fit up into the frame higher than what you see here. I won't trim it until I get the trunnion made and mounted and the rails welded in. It took three tries to get the "perfect" magwell....I don't want to trim too much and screw it up!
I'll get to work on it next weekend...assuming my wife doesn't go into labor this week! ....even then, I still might get to work a bit.
Here's pics of the magwell fitting: