Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: .38 Special

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default .38 Special

I happened to have a .38 Special round on the desk, and just for kicks, stuck it to a Maadi bolt I had on hand. The extractor gripped the rim just fine. The .38 rim diameter was within .001" of the 7.62x39 cartridge I checked, as was the thickness.

Isn't that *interesting*...

I found Desert Eagle .357 magazines for $45 online. An AK in .357 Magnum would be nifty if the magazines weren't so expensive.

If I could still buy a kit in a bag for $75 I'd be tempted anyway.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

They make 32acp adapters for .308,.303,and 30/06 last time I looked.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

it would work with the mags. 357 is pricy to shoot un less you reload and it would likely need to be gas operated. I looked at doing one awhile back. I figued the 7.62 x39 did everything better cheaper. Hcpookie was working on a 9x39 that would really be a better round in the same aprox calibure. I passed as its to light for my hunting purposes and to heavy an expensive for plinking. I had a 357 lever action once and it was fun to shoot but I always felt under guned on deer with it at any range. on people it would be fine. If you got ammo build it it would be fun no question

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The very first thing I set up to reload was .38/.357. I used to have gallon jugs full of brass, which I traded off with my last .357. Still have the dies, though, and some bullets.

I wasn't seriously suggesting an AK in .357, just noting it seemed possible.

If it weren't for magazine issues, .357 Maximum would be very interesting. Maximum came and went in the '80s, but the other day I noticed Maximum brass was available again.

Hmm, from bellmtcs.com:

[357 Maximum]
    "Chronographed the 200 grain Hornady Spire Points
    today. They were pushing 1626 fps. If you're
    interested the load was 19.8 gr. of Winchester 296"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I would think that a .357 would be problematic due to the rimmed cartridge issue.
    MOLON LABE !!!!!

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjemin Franklin

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. -- Sigmund Freud

TO vote for the lesser of two evils , is to still vote for evil.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The Israeli Desert Eagle autoloaders originally came out in .357 and .44 Magnum. Coonan Arms also made a 1911-style .357 if I remember right. So there are magazines available for rimmed pistol cartridges.

For a .357 Maximum you'd probably have to fabricate your own magazine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

That is true about the .357 desert eagle, however those are very short magazines. I have a friend who has both a .357 and a .44 desert eagle, but I was never that impressed... to much weight, but it is true that they carry a rimmed cartridge.
    MOLON LABE !!!!!

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjemin Franklin

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. -- Sigmund Freud

TO vote for the lesser of two evils , is to still vote for evil.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Could fab a mag similar to one that the 10/22 uses or the ar-7's

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Invent a new wildcat, neck up a 7.62X39 case to .357. Custom chambered bbl, fire a normal brass cased 7.62X39 in it to fireform the cases, then get a custom set of dies made up to reload them. Standard AK mags would work, may need a spacer at the front for the shorter bullets. Pretty much what the Russians did with their 9X39 SP-5 subsonic cartridges but using the shorter handgun bullets.

Modern Firearms - Ammunition - Special purpose cartridges of USSR and Russia

Feedback Score

How is the dessert eagle clips different form other clips ,is it the way it is slanted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.