Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 45-70 x25 tokerov :)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

im pretty sure it will work in a 7.62x54 what im not sure of is what keeps it from splitting were its only .013 thick or so were it duplicated the neck of a round. Im thinling the addapter needs to be a pretty snug fit so that if it expands it is supported by the barrel. Im also conserned that it might get stuck and not easly come out. most of the adddapters ive seen are made to semi perminatly loctite into the chamber. the 32 auto adapters for the 308 and 30-06 that sports mans guide sells how ever are made to extract like a normal round after each firing. I have a couple of them and they dont fit all my guns BTW three on the tight side. on a 7.62x25 to 54r addapter I have to worry about it trying to fire down the barrel ans breaking the rim as well. that round head spaces on the rim not the shoulder so when the round goes off the adapter will be seeing pressure on the rim. an ideal addapter would seat against the shoulder and the rim simotaniously. that pretty tough to do when every chamber is differant. now if the addapter was made with no rim and loctighted in it would be simpler just leave the rim off and make it fit to the shoulder.

I see the case has a rounded face. Why? is the bolt face flat like a normal rifle? I will want the most material i can have there and if the addapter was made flat across the face it would be stronger. having a barrel stub that I could split down the middle would help. Of course I suspect all these chambers are not very close in specs

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

The rim is beveled to facilitate the extractor snapping over the rim to engage the cartridge. If flat, the extractor might not do so, keeping the bolt from locking or possibly damaging the extractor.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The rim is beveled to facilitate the extractor snapping over the rim to engage the cartridge. If flat, the extractor might not do so, keeping the bolt from locking or possibly damaging the extractor.
    I see well then it will have to be replicated. I wonder if a casting of the chamber might be the way to go???????? then just copy it

Feedback Score

Hello 1biggun,
    Perhaps you could simply use a spent 7.62x54R steel case as an adapter by silver brazing a 7.62x25mm sleeve into it. The x54R shell could be bored open from the bolt face end to allow the sleeve to be installed.

The new chambering could be done after the tube sleeve is installed provided that the sleeve is not a hardenable steel.
    VD

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'd make a casting (sulfur casting is easy ) and try that.

If you do use a spent cartridge use a steel case, as the metal in a brass case will flow due to pressures and you could eventually end up with a tighter throat than when you began. Not sure how bad it would be with the pressure from x25 but it still happens, which is why they have case trimmers.

A spent cartridge isn't a bad idea. Could you drill out the base and keep it centered for x25? If it isn't centered, would there be enough slop to let the bullet move down the barrel, or would it get pinched? That would be bad

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Mild steel cases flow and expand, as well. Just not as quickly as brass. All metals are ductile. Brass or mild steel, expansion (during internal ballistics) and contraction (after internal ballistics) will eventually lead to neck failure.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Ill be making it from steel out of old barrel with the rifleing removed so I know its good steel. a chamber casting would be the best way to get it as close as possable. Im going to copy a fired case if possable. getting the shoulder in the corect position will be tough. My main concen is the throat dosent split. if the addapter can handel the pressure with out being supported by chamber to wole thing could be made under size except the rim and the throat. My gut tells me that were shoulder transitions into the neck might be the trouble area. it may take some fitting and re cutting to get it perfect, Id like it to actualy head space on the shoulder if possable and also be making contact at the rim as well. I think idealy it should be slightly under size on the body as that area is thick and wont likely expand. that should make extraction easier. testing will tell what has to be done.

I know they offer a 30 mauser addapter for the 308 so if that holds together mine should if made from correct materials. the ability to extract and rechamber repeatidly is a question. how ever the 32 auto addapters seem to work ok as extractable allbeit at less chamber pressure.

all I can do is make it and see what happens. it may expand the throat and not want to rechamber although I suspect steel ammo will rechamber after firing. I see addapters are made in stainless as well. Im not sure what would best in strength and expansion and all that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.