Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Calico helical magazines and Bizon builds

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    Another problem is the feed lips are only slighty raised above the rest of the mag, the rounds feed out a semi-circle cutout in the front of it. To reverse the feed over the body you would need some sort of short tower and that means the normal follower won't push the last round(s) up far enough to feed.
    Why not just bolt the top half of any single stack magazine to the calico magazines? Then for the follower, just add 3-4 dummy rounds to take up the extra room. This seems way too simple though, I'm probably missing something.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vz58 View Post
    you would need a feed tower anyway wouldnt it?
    I think it would
    Quote Originally Posted by rk5n View Post
    Why not just bolt the top half of any single stack magazine to the calico magazines? Then for the follower, just add 3-4 dummy rounds to take up the extra room. This seems way too simple though, I'm probably missing something.
    Even a feed tower that's only 2 or 3 rounds (maybe 4?) tall should work. You could also have it setup so when the last round is fed the first dummy stops short so the bolt doesn't hit it.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by rk5n View Post
    The Calico mags split where the feed lips are, when the mag comes apart a feed lip is on each half. You would have to make the feed tower easily removed. There isn't much of anything to attach it with, though. The mag walls are pretty thin. Best solution would be to make a mold to cast new outer shells with the tower molded in. Expensive though.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Y'know, if you wanted to use the Calico magazine without modification, you could make your own inverted receiver bullpup configuration... the centerline between the hammer and trigger pins and the barrel shouldn't be too tall to be a problem, and the magazine could tuck into the bottom of the stock.

I can't seem to figure out how to get Gimp to draw curved lines, but these three blocks show the basic layout. Without the gas piston and using a flatter bolt/carrier unit, the mag could snuggle right up to the correct position to feed the chamber.

Think taking a Calico pistol, inverting it, and implementing it with a bent sheet metal receiver. Of course, with a buttpad, pistol grip, and other minor details, my artistic masterwork would look even better...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

CDNN wants only $100 for each 50 round magazine
    Calico 9mm 50rd Drum New Factory

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

$20 more for the 100 round! I think I'll see how much is in the piggy bank...

Uh... anyone know how long that 100 round mag is? And the 50, for that matter?
    Last edited by TRX; 10-15-2009 at 01:07 AM. Reason: added question

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

TRX, I saw your post yesterday but didn't have a chance to measure them yet. I'll edit this later with the info.

The 100rnd is just over 12" oal and the mag body itself is just under 11 1/2"
    The 50 rnd is 7 1/4" aol and the mag body is 6 5/8"
    Last edited by Coils; 10-17-2009 at 12:21 AM.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yee-haaa! Thanks, Coils!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Your welcome.
    I was looking at Pookie's site and it looks like the Calico mags would be a good donor, the price of them is what makes it hard to try it though. If I remember right the mag body is the costly part. Maybe use a mag body as a template and make up a new shell, mold your own or something like that, but use original Calico internals?

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

If you insist on a full Bizon clone, yeah. I was thinking of a workalike.

I just wandered through the ATF web site and didn't come up with anything... why can't someone just email Izhmash and buy a real Bizon mag?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.