Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Blowback Head Space x25 Conversions

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Ive got the design in my head it would have to be with a custom bolt but I plan on doing that any way. The thought of one over size case or jam due to dirt ect really bothers me. I have this happen in a few SA 22lr,s the round isint all the way in the barrel. no big deal on 22lr but it could be bad with a the much hotter x25. I suspose a looser chamber would be safer as far as bad ammo or dirt.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Talking

lots of great input in this thread!

a very good adult discussion. congrats to all for keeping it civil!

back on the topic...

first thing:

WinnR:

i just dont consider the x25 round a good "kids round" and dont let my kids shoot any of my x25 guns. its just WAY too hot and the loads are just crazy in their differences of power/speed. and ive built way more x25 guns than im ever gonna admit or post.

1biggun:

someone mentioned the chrome barrel thing, the barrel i took deeper was NOT a chrome barrel it was just a 16" regular x25 barrel from IO that we stuck in a sten build.. so taking it a hair deeper was as easy as you mentioned and then adding that extractor "notch".

Moleman:

im gonna use the ppsh or 43 barrel and bolts combo for exactly the reason you mentioned.... its DESIGNED to have that space and functions perfectly that way.

the bolt weights are very important, we found out early in the ppsh41 conversions and then the 43 that you had to have all that weight for a short barrel and that a little more doesnt hurt if your using the 16" barrels.

the x25 is a great caliber to play with. its dirty, loud, smoky, fiery and cheap to shoot.

just look at my P7 video and see what i mean, that is in x25 with a 16" barrel and the factory epth of chamber and bolt head depth is set by the 9mm AR bolt head. it works perfectly and runs like a raped ape....

but it is just like all the FA x25's and just kills the cases.

the cartridge was just never meant to be reloaded.

sdk
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I dont let my kid shoot any of my semi autos yet just to many things to go wrong. he will learn to be a better shot becuse of it. I do let him shoot the rugger 10-22 on ocasion but its very supervised. I am going to build some sort of bolt action or break action in x25 that my kid can shoot cheap but it will be completly safe and over built.

the bolt weights are very important, we found out early in the ppsh41 conversions and then the 43 that you had to have all that weight for a short barrel and that a little more doesnt hurt if your using the 16" barrels.
    good to know do you have a good average weight for a blow back bolt or does the spring tension really make it impossable to nail down??

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

or if thats why people are reporting so many split cases with the 762x25?
    How are they splitting, length wise or around it?
    I ask because I got Bulgy and Romy stuff, the Bulgy sometimes gets splits/cracks from the front to the taper, I think it's just the brass is brittle in this area. I never had any issues with the Romy stuff, but then that is steel cased.

Thanks, that info might be useful to me soon.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

good to know do you have a good average weight for a blow back bolt or does the spring tension really make it impossable to nail down??
    If he can't answer, I'll weigh some of the bolts I have to see if there is an average weight between then. The spring does matter too, but usually the stock spring will work on a modded bolt too.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yeah i can go get some of the bolt weights tomorrow..

but i'll give you the ppsh 41 bolts as modded by SHerman for his semi conversion...

the first one we did was 564 grams after the mods and rod re insert...

the next one was done the same way and came in at 595grams

and we had one that was near 620 and it was a tad too heavy.

i'll get you the original weights tomorrow if someone doesnt beat me to it.

oh and yes the return spring does figure into the bolt weight but ive always just liked the heavier bolt and counted on just enough spring to chamber the round ... not really using it as a holding force....

my cases have always split from neck to nose and they all swell around the base.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I wonder if the x25 chamber reamers are all on the large size? Kinda like the chamber is oversized like on the M1 carbine so it will work well when its very dirty. Every carbine I've had swells the case slightly at the web.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

OK -- I'm a happy camper!!!! Cut the chromed chamber deeper.

With God's own collection of reamers I gleefully assumed the taper would be cut big and the only thing would be to lower the shoulder and casing ledge .030".

It worked!! Hand reamed, lots of cutting oil. Dycemed up a yugo cartridge to see where it hit, found the two reamers I needed (if someone wants I can go out and measure them) by dropping them in the chamber and did it by feel. Cleaned up the mess and fit alot.

The extractor hits the breech face and I'll have to mill that out but I've got a snugged up bolt and cartridge now.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I wonder if the x25 chamber reamers are all on the large size? Kinda like the chamber is oversized like on the M1 carbine so it will work well when its very dirty. Every carbine I've had swells the case slightly at the web.
    i do know that the 41 barrel I just copyed the round was fairly loose in the chamber compared to the chamber I cut that had no side to side play. I shot about 50 rounds through may addapter and had about 4 cases that split from the pin like crimp down I shooting rommy 80,s stuff that I have read is susposed to be the least likely to split. i noticed differances in recoil as well this stuff is not very consistant. the addapter has no protrustion and about .0025 head space on the average I hade no bulging as the case is 100% suported by the chamber but as mentioned some splitting . nothing that wold cause a issue but I havent shot 500 rounds either. brittle brass IMOO

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I've still got some wobble between the cartridge and chamber even after dropping the cartridge and not changing the taper.

Seems to me that for all these cases to split the chambers have to be cut big.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.