Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Blowback Head Space x25 Conversions

Feedback Score

well all of you got me in the chicken mode. Im working on 3 pps43 trunions at this time. the barrels I got from omega wepons are off of 43'. so do I need to ream the chamber's or get the boldt (home made) slightly over on the LBS ? on all of the barrels the case does stick out farther than I like. muttman

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Muttman -- it was a surprisingly easy job to ream the other .030 out.

I'm sure, as everyone has said, the sub gun operation was not effected by a split case. I think with just an AK cover between me and it though, I'll be a little more careful.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score

Hello Winn R,
    What sort of reamer(s) did you use to increase the Tokarev chamber depth ???

VD

Feedback Score

I have built a few x25 conversions and shoot a lot of surplus ammo. I agree with most everything said and will just add a couple points.

The split necks are completely normal for much of the surplus ammo and are not dangerous. The cracks are often present before firing the ammo and were present at the time they left the factory. They were not adequately annealed during forming but perform their purpose fine. My bulgarian and Yugo surplus show many cracks and the importer (CAI) even puts a disclaimer on their web site. This ammo will exhibit splits in many rounds regardless of how tight a chamber you have. So yes it is not suitable for reloading but it is for many cheaper than reloading.

Any bulged or ruptured cases are not normal and indicate there is something seriously wrong. It usually does go back to insufficient bolt weight. The surplus x25 is on the hot side for simple blowback operation. I prefer to use gas operation on all but the tube guns. Many believe you can look at the weight of a factory bolt such as a PPS43 and say thats the correct weight because it works in a factory gun. Thats not correct. Most open bolt designs rely on advanced primer ignition to give the effect of a heavier bolt. If you convert the weapon to closed bolt the weight may need to be increased. If you add a longer barrel the weight may need to be increased. The simple blowback operation is sensitive to ammo changes so you should settle on a type of ammo and tune the weapon to it.

I think the x25 is ideal for kids or new shooters in a well designed weapon. I built a gas operated AR15 in x25 for my daughter and she and I love it. She likes the cool muzzle blast and low recoil and I like the cheap price of ammo and more range time together. I encourage all my friends to build in x25 and stock up on surplus ammo while it is still cheap.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

hey DOUBLETAPME! are we chasing each other around from forum to forum? LMAO

WInnR: glad to hear the reaming went good. :-0

and i noticed even more people mentioning that the split necks and case's are just how it goes for this round...

notice the DTM also agrees on the bolt weight being heavier for 16" subby conversions?

and yes lots of this does depend on the spring or if you went to a striker with a double inline spring instead of a hammer with a single inline spring.. not that any of that matters in your style of AK build.

it is a great cartridge but DTM & me differ on it for the younger crowd. thats what makes this so much fun.

sdk
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

2xTM -- Good to see you here. I appreciate your input on this and am more confident in being able to make a safe gun in x25. I've put alot of rounds through CZ52's, had to bump recoil spring weight but never noticed a blast from a ruptured case. That's all I'm trying for here.

I know the roller lock works, maybe there's something we can do on the AK. Supporting the cartridge seems to me to be a logical first step. Eliminating the .040" gap between the '74 bolt and PPS43 breech turns out to be easy.

VD -- I held the reamers out, I'll go out and get a measurement in just a minute. Sean, I also believe the other element, beyond headspace, is delayed extraction. Weight, spring, lock, semi lock, roller, gas --- I dunno man. edit -- I'm not so sure I want a rep for a good ream job!!
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

VD -- I didn't go to the books so I've got no idea if these #'s are in keeping with those published. Also, the barrel is still unfired so I can't give a definitive "it works".

Some folks collect baseball cards, I collect reamers. They're like a well stocked coffee can of random nuts and bolts, you KNOW it's there if you look long enough.

I used a .362" on the casing edge ledge and a .376" on the shoulder. They both had standard beveled edges. I didn't touch side walls or taper.

By hand with a half dozen fits per cut. Did the lower edge first to make sure it was riding on the shoulder.

Feedback Score

winn r,
    I should of stated that the build is non AK, it will be for a non kit pps43, read scrach build type gun, but I'm still working on my 9mm ak. the 43 build's should "work out" in the long run but the 9mm is the one that conserns me with the boldt. the barrel is a uzi and a round will sink in the chamber farther than the x25 but still will not sink down to the extractor cut on the case like I think it should but Im new at this.
    BTW what LBS spring did you go with on the 52? I when up one from OEM that wolfe seals but have not had the chance to give it a try. muttman

Feedback Score

Thanks Winn R !!
    I'll check the sizing vs standard reamer and drill sizes as well as metric sizes. I have used a 25/64 inch straight chucking reamer to create 9x19mm Luger chambers using a lathe. They fit rather well too !!

The 7.62x25 Tokarev (Mauser) uses the same dimensions plus the bottle neck and throating compared to the 9x19mm Luger. What a coincidence !!! Both rounds morphed from the American Borchardt

I will try a custom ground taper and throater to make the Tokarev chamber along with my 25/64 inch (9.921mm) straight chucking reamer.

VD PS: Your .376 inch reamer appears to be a letter "V". The .362 is very close to a 23/64 inch reamer (resharpened ?? or press fit reamer ??).

Feedback Score

viper dude,
    let me get this correct, you used a standard 25/64" (.3906) reamer made a 9x19 chamber? did you have it ground down to what was needed? I can get a reamer and have it ground down to size. now you got me thinking (not good).
    muttman

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.