Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Blowback Head Space x25 Conversions

Feedback Score

Hello mutman,
    Yes. I used a standard 25/64 inch straight chucking reamer to make my 9x19mm Luger chambers. The reamer was not tapered nor did it have a pilot nose. It works well. No rougher is needed either. A lathe IS needed to ream the barrel properly.

I have done the same thing with a 31/64 inch straight chucking reamer (.481 inch or about 12.22 mm) to cut .45 ACP chambers. Granted there is supposed to be a tiny chamber taper of about 1/10mm in the .45 ACP but it doesn't affect the proper sealing of the gas pressure in the breach.

A taper to the reamers would be nice but is not mandatory.

Back to the 7.62x25 Tokarev... Since this is a bottleneck type cartridge a rougher is needed to remove the extra meat from the barrel. A new drill bit (NIB even) can rough cut a chamber IN A LATHE. A bit with a useful tip angle could likely carve the bottleneck shoulder taper which is about 33 degrees included angle. I would not hand grind this angle on a bit. The hand ground tip will NOT track properly into a barrel blank !!! Do this job on a tool and cutter grinder - carefully.

VD

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by muttman View Post
    winn r,
    but Im new at this.
    BTW what LBS spring did you go with on the 52? I when up one from OEM that wolfe seals but have not had the chance to give it a try. muttman

You're not near as new at this as I!

I can't remember of course, what Wolfe spring worked in the CZ52. I'm tempted to say the heaviest they have but that may not be right. I found out long ago that, with springs, the full menu was worth the price -- I wouldn't be there unless I had a problem. In the package deals of different weight springs there was a solution somewhere.

My thanks to some unremembered on this board who advised the sharp recoil was fixable with a spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    Thanks Winn R !!

VD PS: Your .376 inch reamer appears to be a letter "V". The .362 is very close to a 23/64 inch reamer (resharpened ?? or press fit reamer ??).
    Most of these are like a lot of the women I've dated -- it doesn't pay to question their past too closely.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    I have done the same thing with a 31/64 inch straight chucking reamer (.481 inch or about 12.22 mm) to cut .45 ACP chambers. Granted there is supposed to be a tiny chamber taper of about 1/10mm in the .45 ACP but it doesn't affect the proper sealing of the gas pressure in the breach.

VD
    how did you know Im planing on a fal in .45 acp .
    the drill bit to ruffer you just made my day. thanks.
    of the reamer is over sized as these would be are the cases reloadable?

muttman
    Last edited by muttman; 10-04-2009 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added more

Feedback Score

winn r,
    " You're not near as new at this as I! "
    I dont think so. the blind hog get a nut happens to me some times.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Winn R View Post
    2xTM -- Sean, I also believe the other element, beyond headspace, is delayed extraction. Weight, spring, lock, semi lock, roller, gas --- I dunno man. edit -- I'm not so sure I want a rep for a good ream job!!
    LMFAO yeah i figured you'd catch that.....

now if you think back a few pages in this thread i mentioned that some of the guys use that "other" reamer but they have to "feel' it in there...

and you promptly told me "you werent that good".............................. uh huh and just how did you wind up doing it? :-) you "felt" it right in there after all didnt ya?

now that is FUNNY and ironic.

ok now back to the stupid question for you and the other "fancy" reamer guys..

im a bit confused here and you guys can probably sort htis out pretty quick..

7.62x25 TOK is what we all run in the subbys' and conversion...

that other reamer is for 7.63 x25 which is .30 mauser ..... ISNT IT?

so would that explain the loosness you guys are getting?

while they are close they are not the same....

or are they?

this is a great building conversation and im enjoying quite a bit.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

lets see what these look like. Can't vouch for the source though. The lower is 7.62x25.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

well as you can see there are some differances. Differant shoulder angle. differant body angle differant overall length. Differant OD at the shoulder. Ill stick with the reamer made for the round. as I under stand it the tokerov will fit and fire in the mauser chamber but the mauser has problems in the tokerov chamber. I havent personaly tried it only read it. IMOO it would be wise just to use the correct reamer. There avaliable and guarentee a correct chamber. I not removable pilot reamer would be less than the one I bought likely around $100 or less. I got mine from pacific BTW

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ok so they ARE a shade different.....

so that was part of my question back a few, were you guys using the TOK reamer or the Mauser reamer? ( in getting the "loose" chambers)

great info.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Im using a 7.62x25 reamer and its pretty tight like it should be IMOO. the loose chamber I referd to was in a used factory PPSH 41 barrel that a member sent me. it was considerably looser but one would expect that in a military full auto made to shoot in subzero temps and in the dirt. id say the side to side play was well over .005 there is deffinatly going to be a differance in how it extracts I wont know untill I get a gun built.

I relize that there will be no reloading of the surpluss stuff but commercial brass is avaliable and I like my stuff to shoot accuratly. There is not reason to think that good ammo in a good chamber and barrel would not be accurate. I have heard reports of 9mm Sunomies doing 1MOA or better it would be nice that a x25 with good ammo did the same. I suspose if you reload and have a 30 mauser chamber you could kust load so mauser for it. I have no issue using what every you have to make a chamber I plan on boring the chamber on my 444?????????? with a small boring bar. I see no reason it cant be done.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

a 9mm soumi is a completely different shooting animal than a ppsh.....

soumis even in full auto are the absolute most accurate subby you will ever see... hands down. not even close.

ppsh41 is great to shoot but its more about practice and "feeling" them in to what works for accuracy, then actual "aiming" like you can a soumi.

soumi sites are real good and the weight just seems perfect for the round. ive ran some FA groups with a soumi that you would swear came from a longer barreled semi gun.

they really are quite impressive..... but that is a different thread. LMAO

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.