Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Blowback Head Space x25 Conversions

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

a 9mm soumi is a completely different shooting animal than a ppsh.....

soumis even in full auto are the absolute most accurate subby you will ever see... hands down. not even close.

ppsh41 is great to shoot but its more about practice and "feeling" them in to what works for accuracy, then actual "aiming" like you can a soumi.

soumi sites are real good and the weight just seems perfect for the round. ive ran some FA groups with a soumi that you would swear came from a longer barreled semi gun.

they really are quite impressive..... but that is a different thread. LMAO
    thanks for sharing Id love to shoot a full auto soumi or even get my SA project started for that matter. I get sad every time i look at my kits and see them all cut up and destroyed. what I was getting at was that if a good barrel and ammo was used the round should be accurate. Im planning a 16" AK with a decent barrel and expect it to shoot as good as my other builds with hand loads. a 7.62 Soumi would be neat.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I can tell why the splits are occurring in the neck of the rounds.

A .362 reamer doesn't touch the side walls where the case is .333. The case has an extra 30 thousands to split in. This is on three PPS43 barrels.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

1biggun:

oh you'll be happy with it out of the 16" barrel.... for sure. its a great plinker! and its still my favorite caliber to shoot.

WinnR: just when i thought we were about to hijack and redirect this thing to another build.... you full circled it and got it back on topic again.

you dog! (i'll try to be slicker with the redirect next time.... lmao)

interesting discovery on your part.

s
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

One other quick note one of you guys may have the #'s to check me on-- The PPS43 mag looks like it rides .100" high in the AK measuring from the base of the receiver to the firing pin or nob.

Maybe why everyone's had to trim off the bottom of their bolt to keep from picking up two rounds.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score

The case has an extra 30 thousands to split in. This is on three PPS43 barrels.
    Ya , they are really sloppy. Most have a .311 bore too which is not correct for the round. I guess thats why they are called bullet hoses and fed with a drum. Seriously though, if you are concerned with accuracy you should have a .308" blank turned and reamed with the correct Tok reamer. If you sold your factory barrel it would cover much of the cost. Im not sure if you have said yet what you are building.

I have to agree with sean the Suomi is in a different class than the bullet hoses.

I have experimented a little with the accuracy potential of the cheap surplus x25 ammo. The best I did was 2.75" at 50 yards with Yugo. The accuracy drops off fast at longer ranges. It was fired from a 16" .308" bore heavy profile free floated barrel with tight chamber on a dedicated AR platform. I was impressed it did that well concidering it was 6.5 cents a round and had split necks. I don't know what the results would be if you tried commercial or hand loads in an accurate barrel.

I machined the AR receiver from a billet of Fortal and it is fed with a CZ26 mag. This is her with an Eotech.

Sorry if I got off topic again.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

A .362 reamer doesn't touch the side walls where the case is .333. The case has an extra 30 thousands to split in. This is on three PPS43 barrels.

Ill measure my reamer in the am but I dont think there is any were near that much clearance in my chambers I cut. I did however split a couple necks in my 45-70 addapter. I did notice the bullets are heavyly crimped with a demple that looks like it was done with a center punch . the splits I had on the romy stuff all had them were it was crimped.

I just measured some fired brass and the necks were only .335 and they rechamber so im pretty certain Im at around .336 or around .003 clearance . Im sure in a machine gun were accuracy is the least of one concernes and feeding and extraction were the top priority. if there going to split at that tight of a clearance there going to split no matter what. .030 is a ton of clearance there is no way your going to see any good accuracy with a neck that loose.

Feedback Score

According to Frank C. Barnes in his epic book, Cartridges Of The World, DBI Books, Inc 1989... the .30 Mauser, the 7.62x25 Tokarev, and the .30 Borchardt all use the same size and shape case dimensions. Powder charges however vary greatly and should NOT be interchanged.

Yes, the commie burpguns have a great amount of slop in both the chambers and the bores. They were born of desperation not national matches.

Muttman, The straight chucking reemer will cut a non-tapered chamber. The brass (.45 ACP for example) will have a slight expansion at the front half of the case but is still reloadable if quality brass is used. Most military brass is junk compared to commercial brass these days. But we all knew that !!!

VD

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by doubletapme View Post
    Ya , they are really sloppy. .308" blank turned and reamed with the correct Tok reamer. If you sold your factory barrel it would cover much of the cost. Im not sure if you have said yet what you are building.
    What I'm looking for is a fun center fire gun shooting cheap ammo with minimum recoil that doesn't come apart when it's fired. I think a x25 on an AK can fill the bill. But, as has been stated above, I may be kidding myself.

It may be that a rechambered .308 is required. There's no doubt that in the PPS43 barrel the necks will split, they're completely unsupported, but with the round at least seated in the chamber now perhaps there won't be blowback from ruptured cases.

Yes, these barrels are going for $90 up!!!

I have to agree with sean the Suomi is in a different class than the bullet hoses.
    You know -- I haven't checked the ones I have but all these are in 9mm aren't they?

Sorry if I got off topic again.
    I think the topic is sub gun conversions -- you're right on top of it!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post

.030 is a ton of clearance there is no way your going to see any good accuracy with a neck that loose.
    Plus all the comments about the case rupturing are easy to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post

Yes, the commie burpguns have a great amount of slop in both the chambers and the bores. They were born of desperation not national matches.
    VD
    I think that's it. The other thing explained are the comments about fire balls. The unburned powder escaping around a neck thats unsealed

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

FWIW, regarding the Wolfe CZ-52 recoil springs.

I've been running the Wolfe 18.5 Lb CZ-52 recoil spring for years now. Never had a problem. Brass still ejects into the next county, but I was only concerned with reports of roller wear with light springs. It's the highest pound rate they sell.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score

sjohnson,
    that's what I needed to hear. I got what was recomended.

muttman

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.