Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A question of chamber pressure?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I have a .223 Saiga already, a Romy G kit that I need to put together, a FAL, CETME and a Remington 700 in .308. I was considering doing this one as a pistol build so I wouldn't need to worry about 922r. I have limited tooling so that is why I was looking at those three particular rounds because I believe, and correct me if I am wrong, that they have a very similar base diameter to that of 7.62x39. I would have no problem with an 08 loading other than as of yet I do not have any reloading equipment, so using anything other than factory loads would be a no go and I do tend to like my face and hands as they are.

I'd like to note that I wasn't looking at the .30 RAR, I was looking at the 6.8 spc's parent round the actual .30 Remington. My thinking with that one is I would be able to deepen the chamber on an existing yugo barrel that I could get for cheap and have little other machining to do.

I'm really just looking to make a fun gun to build and shoot.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the 6.8 spc rim is smaller than the 7.62x39. the one im holding is .416. my book shows the 30 remington .422 so my round is off a little most 308 and 30-06 stuff I actualy measure is. the best bet for a 6.8 would be taking a 5.45 bolt and opening it up. It might actualy work with the x39 bolt as is or with a little work to the extractor or the extractor bore. the round will snap in but very loosely if the extracter was ground to let mive in slightly it might work. another member reported doing this on a 7.62x25 build and making it wok. If i was going to try it Id be sure I had a 5.45 bolt with the same head space incase it didnt work. I have a 6.8 barrel but I havent been real motivated to do it its a stainless heavy profile rmeinton 700 barrel. also there is a 6.8 spc II out now that uses hotter ammo and a differant twist.

the 30 remington has a case length of 2.05" so its .005 shorter than a 308 winchester. doing a 30 remington is doable but the brass is going to be expensive and it wont offer any thing special. If the bolt face that your worried about a 7.62x39 can be easly opend up in a lathe or even a drill press with a end mill. the mags would fit there are lots of take of barrels in 308 or 243 or 7mm-08, 300 savage 22-250 ect. the 300 savaage is one that if brass was less expensive would IMOO be a great round for a conversion. factory loads are lighter then 308 win and might be safe in a conversion.

if kits hadent gone through the roof I was going to do some home grown proof testing on a 2 lug trunion my self. a simple build with just barrel no gas system and a reciver to hold the parts.

Now the 35 remington is a idea I like and offers some thing that not a lot of other rounds do . but you will have to open up the bolt face. the 358 winchester based on a blown out 308 is about the same thing and could be done as well. a 308 mag would work well likely for both. If it were me Id go with the 458 winchester because surpluss 7.62x51 millitary brass could be to make it much cheaper and that brass would be thicker. now if you have a bunch of 35 brass then go for it. I have been thinking about a .35 cal pistol for a while for hunting my self. the recoil will be getting pretty heavy

sorry I confused the 30 rem with the 30 RAR.

extending the chamber on a yugo has some issues because the shank is pretty short and the chamber would actualy extend into the thined part of the barrel. it might be ok it might not. Im not sure how thick a 308 or 30 remington has to be at the chamber. the other issue is that the yugo has a .311 bore and the 30 rem or other uS rounds are ,308. accuracy would suck. you can do a a build on a cheap take of barrel rechamberd . If you want to do a build PM I can possably help you with the barrel work and the bolt work. the main thing is keep the pressures in a safe range. If your going to play with this stuff I cant recomend hand loading enough so you can control the pressures.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

have you considerd a 6.5 grendal? its better IMOO than a 6.8 spc and has the same bolt face as the x39 and is the right length. the 220 russian with .223 bullets would be another possably a barrel change only. there is also the 22 and 6mm PPC rounds made from the 220 russian. the paarent caase for the russian is the good old 7.62x39 The case taper of the 220 russsian has a simular case taper.

there is a member her geting ready to do a Grendal and might be willing to let your barrel maker borrow the reamer. blanks are around $80 work to profile it and chamber it will be around $125 so it could be done for around $200 plus whaat ever mags. there are also AK to AR mag addapters that would let you use 6.8 SPC or 6.5 grendal AR mags as is. PM me if you interested in a barrel .

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I don't know that much about the grendal round. And that is a lot of info to process.

What does the .35 rem and/or 358 win have to offer that a lot of rounds don't?

I'm going to have to research the x39 based cartridges you mentioned as well.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

What does the .35 rem and/or 358 win have to offer that a lot of rounds don't?
    there about the only .35 caliburs that are common that are in a .308 Win length. that means you can do a AK easier. the 358 Win is good deer round and is considered by some a better medium range hunting round than a .308. its a hard hitting round. a 458 win can send a 220 grain bullet down range at 2500 fps thats faster than a 7.62x39 can move a bullet a 100 grains less.

I guess the question is what do you want to do with the gun when you build it. If your going to do a pistol as you stated then the recoil of a .35 is going to be heavy.

Id really recomend getting a yugo trunion if your going to be pushing the pressure.

the 35 remington is a pretty light load in comparison to a 308 it looks like most loads are in the 35,000 CUP range so a factory load might be safe. its a pretty antiquated round but Im sure it can be loaded hotter in a safe/stronger firearm. but again why?

in a pistol a 6.8 0r 6.5 grendal would be interesting. light recoil better speed. but a serious pistol would need a longer barrel if your really going to hit any thing. Id want at least 10". if your not going to make it accurate then why bother to go to all the trouble to change the calibure? I think if my 12.5" AMD 65 hunting pistol was in 6.8 or 6.5 it would be really good out to 250 yards or more. You loose a lot of speed when you start shortening the barrel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I was looking at about 14.5"

Would a 6.5x55 surplus barrel be a good candidate for this or should I order a barrel that is known to have a 1-9" twist?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

A 6.5 surpluss barrel would likely be a good canidate as long as after you cut off the old chamber there is still a 23mm OD left.

I dont know what the twist rates fora 6.5x55 are but i do know they shoot a much heavier bullet than a 6.5 grendal so if any thing thaey might be to fast. Its always better to be to fast than to slow. the lighter the bullet the slower the twist.
    here is some info on the subject. most of the grendal ammo i see advertised is 125 grain or lighter.

McGowen Precision Barrels LLC Rifle Barrels

Rifle Barrel Twist Rates at EABCO

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

From the looks of it, the 6.5swede as is 6.5xs54r Mannlicher is about an inch faster than the Grendel so I don't see that being to significant, especially once I get setup to load my own I'll probably see about using heavier bullets. That and Numrich 6.5 Mannlicher barrels for under $100
    Dutch Hembrug Mannlicher Carbine 6.5 x 54R Barrel | e-GunParts.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

From the looks of it, the 6.5swede as is 6.5xs54r Mannlicher is about an inch faster than the Grendel so I don't see that being to significant, especially once I get setup to load my own I'll probably see about using heavier bullets. That and Numrich 6.5 Mannlicher barrels for under $100
    Dutch Hembrug Mannlicher Carbine 6.5 x 54R Barrel | e-GunParts.com

I looked at those barrels a couple weeks ago. Im not sure that after you cut off the chamber there would be enough Diamiter left work with and if doing a rifle the 17" barrel would be to short once cut. there possably very good quality. I was looking into ammo for that barrel for possable use on a PSL. That is a very old uncommon round. not much info on it.

Im going to be doing a 6.5 grendal barrel next moth on a Midway Adams & Benette blank that is about the same money. its the one at the very bottom its a 1-9 twist

here are some sources that I had.

rough blank lot more work but cheaper
    SHILEN : 6.5mm, 9 Twist, CM (787-264-090) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

lot less work
    SHILEN : CONTOUR #3 BARREL...BY SHILEN - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

good price know nothing of the quality lot of metal to remove. would make a good heavy target barrel possably. who knows what these are. but the price is right I might get one for a bolt action build.

Round Barrel Blanks | e-GunParts.com

some more here the adams & bennete is on back order but would be the way I would go. there are some nice shilen in the $160 range
    MidwayUSA - Advanced Search

Adams & Bennett Barrel Blank 264 Caliber, 6.5mm F54 Contour 1 in 9" Twist 26" Chrome Moly in the White - MidwayUSA
    good price good quality says will be in stock next month will the twist work for the grendal? Id be looking at these pretty hard.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Now you have me thinking of doing a matched rifle/ pistol set for this.

A 6.5 PSL would be a heck of a distance gun. I don't know anyting specifically about the round though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.