Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A question of chamber pressure?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Im planing on converting my 308 saiga to 260 Remington. it will have a heavy long fast twist barrel. my goal is a praire dog at 1000 yards and getting there with the 223 is tough. the grndal is a good round but it dont hold a candel to the 260 REM for long range work. it would be great out to around 400 yards however. with a AR mag well addapter a 223 could be converted to 6.5 grendal with just a barrel swap and possably some bullet guide work.

there are some other 6.5 wild cats that would be good as well 6.5x250
    6.5x300 savage. would be a good conversion for a AK If loaded correctly. the 6.5 credmore is another.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I see what you're saying with the 260, but then its not a true apples to apples comparison as the 260 is a full power rifle cartridge and no matter how you pack it, the grendal is still an intermediate round.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Its not meant to be a apples to apples comparison. Its meant to be whats the better round. The 260 remington out classes the grendal in every catagory except carry weight of the ammo and maybe barrel life. the grendal runs at near the same chamber pressures as many full power rounds it just dosent have the powder capacity of the bigger rounds to be competive.

The AK is not restricted to a AR length mag well so why stick to rounds that length?? The grendal round would not even exist if it wasent for the AR15/m16. AK builders are not stuck with this problem. the 250 savage is a 95 year old round that does pretty much every thing a 6.5 grendal can do better with only a 45,000 cup SAMMI limit. It was the first modern round to reach 3000 FPS it would be a ideal canidate for for a AK platform. opend up a few thousands to a 6.5mm/.264 bullet and it could shoot all the High BC 6.5mm bullets and it would also do it better than the grendal. the 250 savage also is the parent round of the famious 22-250 that has a really high SAMMI limit likley to much for the AK at max loads.

Dont get me wrong I think the grendal is a good round but AK builders not confined to a short 223 length mag. or a weaker AR bolt, so why play in that world. take advange of some of the AKs advantages over the AR.

250-3000 Savage (250-3000)

.250-3000 Savage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

for a guy that wants to try to use a factory length mag and not have to mess with modifing a mag well the 6.5 grendal it a excellent choice. but for a little bit more work a mildly loaded 260 is better in amost every way. IMOO

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Well, coming back from a hunting trip in Maine and lugging a my .308 Rem 700 sps through the woods and the type of engagement distances I was looking at I think something with a bigger bore would be a good idea, and I have a ton of g3 mags, as well as them being dirt cheap. So I'm looking at making this into a rifle in either a .358 round or maybe a 458 round.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Hrm how is the .250 savage different from the 6.5x55? Seems really close but I can't compare the two right now...
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Pookie, how did you go about making the groza style forward fire control box on you .45 win mag? I was looking at bullpuping this and thought that was an interesting setup.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.