Thread: 22AR

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default 22AR

224 AR

More case capacity than a 223 shorter case to allow long low BC bullets in a 223 length AK mag. this thing would make a awsome varmit calibure. could likely get 3800 fps with a 40 grain bullet and with the long stuff iand a fast twist barrel it would really reach out there.

runs a x39 bolt uses resized grendal brass. it would likely be a barrel change and mag mods only on a AK. is a necked down 6mmAR. It may well be my next .22 cal varmit build.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

One problem I've read with these "short and fat magnums" is they are prone to excessive throat erosion. Perhaps it would it be possible to get the same performance with a different case design?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

this is not a short fat magnum it a grendal case necked down. is a smaller OD case than a 22-250 and has far less caapacity. it is really nothing more than 22 PPC improved or a 22x39 improved or 220 Russian improved. the speeds fall some were between a 223 and a 22-250 with much less powder than a 22-250. I had considered a fast twist 22-250 shooting heavy bullets but decided against it when all reports claimed very short barrel life with the fast twist and overbore case. this one as Goldylocks said is just right.

cases that burn powder more effeciantly will make better speeds with less pressure and powder and that = better barrel life. obvoiusly it will not be as good as a 223 shooting a 1-14 twist with 40grain bullets but it should be decent.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.