Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: .30-'06 conversion notes

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

A 30-06 AK variant would be interesting, but if you were going to go to all that work, why not do a short stroke gas piston system? If you were going to modify a PSL kit it would require extensive machining. Make a block that fits in the rear sight base ala sks, and make an insert that fits into the gas tube. You could even make it adjustable by using a yugo M95 gas system for referance.
    Freedom is not free. Some will perish to preserve it for the many. Just as our Forefathers did before us, we must take up the battle and not waver. Victory is our only option.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    Any idea what holds the pieces together?
    A short pin that wallers out after about 2500 rounds. Ask me how I know.
    Freedom is not free. Some will perish to preserve it for the many. Just as our Forefathers did before us, we must take up the battle and not waver. Victory is our only option.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Is the bolt face deepend to spigot the extension on?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

there are some other issues with a long bolt head. As the bolt hits the bullet guide and rotates the lugs of the bolt have to be past the lugs of the trunion. so you will need to move the ramp on the bullet guide forward as well. You might have to relieave the trunion slightly as well to get the longer head in there. Your only going to really want to move the barrel a head 1/2" or so as after thaat things get more complicated

I have nevver seen a 20 Guage bolt before Interesting. I to wonder how its held together. creates some interesting possabilitys. it could be presssed into a enlarged bolt face and pinned some how. if it was a interferance fit it would likely not come out if pinned some how even a blind pin would work. Interesting thanks for posting the Photo a buddy has a saiga 20 I might be able to look at.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

That has me thinking of a possable better way to convert x39 bolts to x25 bolts as well as making 223 out of x39 bolts hmmmmmmmmmm

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Lichtenberg sells rings to solder/braze into your x38 bolt to adapt it down to x25. He says they work fine.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The Saiga-12 has that same bolt-head design as well. I'm sure there are pics somewhere of a Saiga bolt disassembly process.

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    Lichtenberg sells rings to solder/braze into your x38 bolt to adapt it down to x25. He says they work fine.
    Isn't that what caused that one bolt failure we all marvelled at a few months ago?
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I found a picture of a Saiga-12 bolt that looks the same as the -20 bolt. Dunno about the bolt failure; do you have a link to it?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont weld on bolts perticulary gas builds. There is no way to weld on a hardend bolt and not create a stress riser regardles of the size of the weld. a blow back is one thing if it fails but on a gas gun you get a failure it can be deadly.

I was thinking of boring the bolt and pressing and pinning a head like in the picture. for a X25 Ill just spend the 45-50 dollars for a 5.45 bolt and sell off the x39 bolt or use it for some thing else.

I keep saying it would be cool if some one would manufacture a 3 lug bolt with small face that can be opend up to fit the build and leave the steam long as well. make it out of the best materials that are avaliable. They would sell. I wonder what a run of 100 bolts made on CNC equipment would cost???? Guys are paying $85 dollars for 223 bolts now.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Counterboring and pinning still looks practical to me. Bolts are supposed to be tough, not hard, and thus should be machineable. You can take a file to yours and check. <grin>

Turbothis' bolt thread is here: TheAK Forum :: Log in
    No traffic for a while; I rattled his cage. Anyone else interested might do the same.

I can reach out and touch the CNC mill from where I'm sitting, but I haven't had the time to learn how to use the freakin' thing. Building it was trivially simple by comparison.

X2, Xylotex 4-axis kit with 425oz steppers, heavily modded CNCFusion mount and ballscrew kit, extended Y travel, dedicated XP box, Mach3, and MeshCAM. I'd add the 4th axis and a digitizer probe in a heartbeat if I knew WTH I was doing with all this stuff... and though I used to be a draftsman for a living back in the pencil-and-track-drafter days, and I'm supposed to be an IT expert now, every CAD program I've tried to learn has driven me to the point of raking my tin cup against the bars and screaming in frustration.

Theoretically, I could put an AK bolt between centers on the 4th axis, tell Mach3 to go into digitizing mode, and after a while there'd be a complete 3D mesh to use to make another one, just like a 3D Xerox machine. Gharr....

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.