Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: .30-'06 conversion notes

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

here are some if you need more let me know
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

more pictures I need to get differant lighting and back ground for this stuff.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks! That should be pretty much all for the bolt.

While you have the top cover off, could you take a few shots of the visible parts of the trunnion?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

here is the trunion

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Geeze! I do a better job on the rivits! Heh....Heh
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

1biggun: thanks!

Brad: I think the "rivet" you're looking at is supposed to do the same thing as the ramp on the left corner of a regular AK bullet guide; that is, let the trunnion turn the bolt, as well as the lug going into the bolt carrier. I have a 1905 Ross straight-pull receiver that has a chamfered screw through the side that does the same thing.

Okay, I got to see what I was wondering about. The Saiga trunnion doesn't have the "tie bar" underneath that ties the left and right sides together at the magazine lug cutout. The bullet guide stuff is presumably taken care of by the Saiga magazine.

Valmet made both milled and stamped receivers, but almost all the Hunters were milled. I guess they'd've just machined them to whatever layout they wanted. I'd give a lot to see a Saiga trunnion out of the receiver, though.

If you ground out the mag lug recess and thinned the tiebar to give maximum forward length for the cartridge, and drilled your axis pin holes 1/4 to 3/8 inch further back, and maybe did some innovative shaping with the hammer and center support, you can fit a .30-06 in without cutting the AKM tiebar completely out, as I've verified with my Romy. But that doesn't take into account the room needed for the magazine, which could be as much as another quarter inch.

You could move all the bits further back in the receiver, but then you'd have to worry about finding a recoil spring stout enough to keep the bolt carrier from beating up the rear trunnion. The PSL kept the standard front trunnion geometry and just shifted everything back.

With a standard-length receiver it looks like you need a Saiga trunnion or you need to cut the bullet guide and tie bar out of the stock trunnion. The first thing that comes to mind is that the "wings" on the trunnion might spread out and let the bolt pop out of battery, which could be embarrassing. A Yugo trunnion has more metal in the sides than an AKM, though.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Brad: I think the "rivet" you're looking at is supposed to do the same thing as the ramp on the left corner of a regular AK bullet guide;
    correct, that bullet guide needs to be right on the money and its critical that it perfect to get optimum bolt rotation. I have seen some of these guns that could use more rotation IMOO. not sure what good three lugs do if they only rotate in 80% of what they could. I seen a few worn regular AKs that are the same with a bullet guide. ON my 223 were you grind the ramp on the virgin bolt this is critical.

If you ground out the mag lug recess and thinned the tiebar to give maximum forward length for the cartridge, and drilled your axis pin holes 1/4 to 3/8 inch further back, and maybe did some innovative shaping with the hammer and center support, you can fit a .30-06 in without cutting the AKM tiebar completely out, as I've verified with my Romy. But that doesn't take into account the room needed for the magazine, which could be as much as another quarter inch.

I agree about cuttin to much away.

Id be carefull making the cut out to deep, that will allow more side flexing of the lugs IMOO with angled lugs there is a fair amount of side load Im thhinking.

The bullet guide stuff is presumably taken care of by the Saiga magazine.
    correct. the bullet guide is in the mag and Im doing the same on my current planned switch barrel builds with G3 mags. that way I can tune the mag that costs $2 to feed any calibur and type of round I want with out having to replace a bullet guide.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default I think I'm in it deep now

Bearing in mind this whole thread is supposed to be merely informational in nature, and I have no intention of actually starting a .30-06 project, I find it hard to explain why I ordered an AK kit, an expensive chunk of 4140 square bar stock, and various milling cutters.

"Nothing to see here. Move along. These aren't the parts you're looking for."

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

TRX I had some 4140 I could have sent you. What else might you need?

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Jeez, now you tell me...

Hang loose and let's see how deep of a hole I can dig for myself.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.