Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: PKM bolt vs AKM bolt

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by SW44 View Post
    Here you go! The photos show bolts from a PKM, Romak 3, and AKM (left to right). I took some measurements that I thought would be critical for bolt strength. measurements in inches

PKM Romak3 AKM

Model PKT Romanian AMD65

Caliber 7.62x54 7.62x54 7.62x39

Diameter across locking lugs 1.115 1.013 1.008

Bolt Face Opening 0.581 0.579 0.454

Lug Depth, left lug 0.669 0.537 0.417
    right lug 0.840 0.607 0.624

Bolt length 3.387 4.240 3.333

The PKM has bigger lug dimensions in the depth (front to back) and diameter. Just looking at them, the PKM bolt looks massive. I hope this helps.

This is a fascinating comparision, glad i stumbled upon it

Just to clarify though;

1. "Bolt Face Opening" is the Cartridge Base Seat?

2. Lug Depth Left & Right. Is this as they face us in the picture or as they travel into the Front Trunnion?
    They appear in the picture that the Left locking lugs are the Thicker ones.

The only other thing missing was AK Bolts in 5.56 and 5.45 and all bolts would be "compared"

Thanks

Edit to add links to "ALL AK BOLTS" Comparison...I Forgot about that one;

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f163/bol...15/#post544892

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the 5.45 an 223 bolts look about the same as a x39 bolt. the 5.45 has longer lugs and a slot instead of hole for the extractor.

if the pkm polt was reduced on the OD will it fit a staandard trunion??

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

that bolt has WSM written all over it.

Feedback Score

A virgin Yugo trunnion form rguns.. Maybe thread the trunnion and use a savage like nut, attach a rearsight block like how savage attaches the Recoil Lug. Could go all sorts of different ways with the gas system. I seem to remember 1biggun saying about doing a ar gas block and gas tube back to a captive short stroke piston....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Im working ona threaded switch barrel build now.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f43/my-s...d-ideas-52031/

dont really need a virgin trunion to do it but it would be a nice start.

there are a lot of options on the gas system but its hard to beat what works and the AK system works. MY main gripe with the original system is the low barrel position. Ive considerd moving the piston to the side of the barrel and then being able to get the sights/optics closer to the barrel. A flexable gas line to a captive pistion might have some accuracy advantages but who knows.

What I really want is a bolt trunion/reciver that can handel 65,000 PSI with a 1/2 bolt face/case head. if I had that I could build some truly remarkable performing AK variants.
    A magnum AK Platform is what im thinking. I dont understand why the Russians never built one at least as a experiment. It would be pretty simple if you had the equipment and resorces.

There is more AK,s than any other gun on the planet yet not one person can authoritvly say what pressures they can handel. I find this odd. there is so litttle data on them. you think Valimt or Vepr or one of the other vairant builders would wanted to build something to compete with browning or other comercial builder with a magnum offering.

Feedback Score

Going off of the yugo milled stub I have it would be close length wise. The barrel would have to be pushed forward pretty close.

Side note I have been looking into the m76 bolt, looks like the m70 bolt with a longer stem from all the pics. Not like the M77 308 bolt That have a beefier right lug. I don't suppose anyone has a m77 bolt to measure.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

THE M77 &76 STUFF IS IN MY 308 CONVERSION THREAD THERE ARE PICTURES AND COMPARISONS. iD LIKE TO ADD THE ABOVE PICTURES TO THAT THREAD AS WELL iM INTERESTED IN THIS BOLT

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

To clarify the dimension notations, the "bolt face opening" is the "cartridge base seat". Its where the base of the cartridge is held by the bolt.

The Left and Right lug references are based upon looking from the rear of the rifle and bolt, not the photo orientation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.