Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: .35 Remington

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    Also note the .35 carries more energy downrange than the .45-70! Well, at least in its original military loading...
    Apples and oranges. The original black powder load is easily beaten but the high-performance loads with 350gr - 500gr bullets puts it up near the 458 Winchester Magnum (according to Hornady).

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yeap and start playing with pointed bullets and the 45-70 gets even better.

I have been eyeballing the 284 win case blown full length out as a good canidate for a .458 cal autoloader wildcat. the rebaed rim would work really well and ill bave brass as soon a sI get the 6mm-284 going.

the 35 rem would make a good AK conversion round that could also be hand loaded a little hotter as well. Ill have one if I evwer get the switch barrel set up done.

this whole job thing is not as cracked up as its susposed to be LOL

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    My first reaction to the .35 was "WTF?" A nearly-extinct levergun cartridge, alive only because of the cowboy shooting fad, best as I can figure. Why dig something like that out of its grave?
    what? the .35 is still very popular for deer hunting, I use one and it kills em dead. the 200 gr load is the most popular factory load, and is not meant for contenders. IIRC the 35 was designed for the remington model 8 semi-aut, not a lever action. ironically, I suppose we all know what the model 8 safety looks like....

Feedback Score

deleted
    Last edited by jlwilliams; 03-06-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The slightly larger cross section makes for punishing terminal performance
    that and its throwing a 200 grain bullet VS the standard 150 of the 30-30.

its doable with either barrel bore. HCpookie is working on a 9x39 BTW.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I just looked in my lyman reloading book and both loads for the 35 rem and the 358 win show the same bullets being used. so Im betting either bore would be fine. id try and find a 358 barrel persoanly and slug it.

here are a few intersting loads for the 358. these area all starting loads and they are all faster than a standard 7.62x39 except there throwing a 180 grin bullet.

40 gr rx7 180 Gr bullet does 2511 FPS with only 36,500 CUP

44 grains of xmr-2015 does 2519 FPS and has 39,000 CUP

a max load of 48 grs of 748 compressed makes 2521 FPS at only 36,900 cup. Id bet that that is the same powder that win uses to factory laod with and this being a compressed load I doupt they get it any hotter from the factory. It is possable that the factory load would be perfitaly safe in a AK. I wonder If winchester would answer a question on what powder they use.

I really think 358 is the better round for conveting a AK the brass can be made form necked up GI brass as well as standard 308 being cheaper, and there are more loads listed as it is a more modern round. 35 can also be made from 308 but its more work.

there are some max loads making almost 2800 FPS witha 180 gr bullet in the under 50,000 cup range. some were inthe middle would be a good round for the AK.

Feedback Score

I just cant let this one go

after sone thought on this one a 35 rem would be better for me in the long run than a .45 bush/socom from the reloading, build side of it (reamer, mod's, etc)
    1) boldt face to case fit. it fits, with out a spring gage cant tell the diff. in sliding one in (pic#1) x39 to 35 rem.
    2) mag issues, will not work in a x39 mag but a .308 mag will/should work. if you look at the 35rem case mouth (pic #2 longer brass) just short of a .308 case. bonus time no 922 with 10rnd mag's . now the down side , the M14 mags that I have do not have a front lug nor a standard back lug but this can be worked out.
    3) a .35 rem reamer can be rented (.45 bush/socom not so good) and there are barrels (blank and used) out there.
    4) .35 rem brass is still out there or in a pinch .308 can be reformed to work (pic#3) more work but I have a frend that pops off a .35 rem with in a blue moon. he does not relode (cost to him) there could be a trade used brass for reloaded ones.
    muttman

can poost photos wont uplode ? does not give a reason will try later.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

go for it you going to hand load it so it will do what ever you want. would be a good cast lead shooter as well. Id look for a mag that dosent narrow at the front.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I made a 90-mile trip yesterday to buy some .303 brass. I guess I should have called first... they were still cleaned out from last time I was there.

I thought of this thread while looking at .35 Remington brass. They had buckets of it, both new and once-fired.

Feedback Score

trx,
    I hate the fact that you need to go back and get my brass, lol. I need the W's (who, ware, etc) so I can start hording it. muttman

still trying to figger out what is wrong with my photos that wont post.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.