Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: .35 Remington

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

G3 mags would probably be great for 35 rem. That would be a fun ak. Come on you know you wanna build it

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by muttman View Post
    I hate the fact that you need to go back and get my brass, lol. I need the W's (who, ware, etc) so I can start hording it.
    Blue Star in Searcy, Arkansas:

Blue Star Cartridge & Brass

They do gun shows all over the south, so if there's one in your area soon, give 'em a call and make sure they bring some. They also ship via UPS.

After I posted the first message in this thread I've seen loaded .35 Remington all over the place - gun shows, sporting goods stores, even Wal-Mart. I would never have guessed it was so popular... and 9mm/.38, it's about a cheap to reload as you can get.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I wonder if that SAIGA rifle in 35 Remington kicked like this one ?
    Tree huggin' dirt worshipper!

Feedback Score

Looks like a start to an AK. Nice gun. Muttman

Feedback Score

I have seen comments in several places besides here that .358 or .308 brass can be sized down to .35 Remington. I wonder if any of the folks who claim it can be done have actually tried it? I have, and it did not work. The walls sized down just fine, but it formed a belt at the base, that would not go in the .35 chamber. Sure, that belt could be turned off, but I would rather just chamber for .358 in the first place.
    The .358, besides having more ready brass availability (in the form of .308), is a better cartridge because it has a longer neck. Also, the larger capacity allows it to be loaded to a similar power level at lower pressure, or more power at similar pressure.
    There is a very good discussion on 24hour campfire about rechambering Marlin 336 lever actions in .35 Remington to .358, and then loading it to .356 specs (which is just a rimmed .358 with a max OAL of 2.55").

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have seen comments in several places besides here that .358 or .308 brass can be sized down to .35 Remington. I wonder if any of the folks who claim it can be done have actually tried it? I have, and it did not work. The walls sized down just fine, but it formed a belt at the base, that would not go in the .35 chamber. Sure, that belt could be turned off, but I would rather just chamber for .358 in the first place.
    The .358, besides having more ready brass availability (in the form of .308), is a better cartridge because it has a longer neck. Also, the larger capacity allows it to be loaded to a similar power level at lower pressure, or more power at similar pressure.
    There is a very good discussion on 24hour campfire about rechambering Marlin 336 lever actions in .35 Remington to .358, and then loading it to .356 specs (which is just a rimmed .358 with a max OAL of 2.55").
    nope havent tried it. according to my Handloaders manual of cartrige conversion 303 british an 30-40 kraig is what is used to make 35 rem then you have to turn off the rim and cut a extraction groove. way to much work IMOO when brass is avaliable already. I have no intention of trying it as if I do a 35 (and I will I already bougt the reamer) it will be a 358 which can use 308 brass as well as 30-06 brass cut down that is cheap and much more avaliabe. I reload and as i have stated if your going to play with AK conversions much you really need to be a reloader if you want anything more than the normal factory stuff thats $25 a box. If I had a 35 reamer or barrel that was chambered and a bunch of brass then it would be a no brainer to build it in 35 remington. IMOO the only advantage a 35 rem has over a 358 win is that factory loads are likely safer( also weaker less performance) than a 358 win.

when ever I consider actualy building a conversion I look at what Im trying tho gain over a standard 7.62x39,223, 5.45x39 that is already easly obtainanble. then I look at what brass costs and and what the pressures are and determne if it will work on a standard bolt trunion. I wont state what I have considered safe for liabilty reasons and I dont show eveyr thing I build for the same reason. I dont wnat some one copying it nad not handloading to a safe pressure (what ever that pressure may be) .

I really think the 300 savage is great round for a conversion the down side is brass avalaiblty and cost. Its a lower pressure round that only has about 4 grains less capacity over the 308 and it will do pretty much every thing a 308 will do. and if down the road the gun ends up in my grand sons hands and he buys factroy ammo it likely wont kaboom.

I really need to do some improvised proof testing or have it done professionaly to really get any more comfrotable gong to true 308 pressures. I wonder what it would cost to have a gun proofed at a certifed pressure???? maybe it would be worth a few guys going in and sharing the cost and parts to find out. Id think a 308 build on a rommy bolt and trunion being proofed professionaly would go a long ways. there would still be the question of how many rounds is needed to prove its safe.

Feedback Score

Good idea. Another option would be to set up a donation fund to build a .308 rifle, then set up a remote firing arrangement and fire 100 rounds of maximum but not proof level handloads, and check the headspace. If no change, try 10 rounds of proof-level loads and recheck headspace. Builder/tester gets to dispose of the rifle or remnants thereof, as he sees fit. Full report with photos, of course.
    I would be willing to do it, if nobody else does. I have land that I could do something like that on.

ETA: I just re-read your post and saw that you did mention improvised testing. I'm willing to share the cost, or build the receiver and assemble it into a test rifle, and test it. I am curious to know what a standard Romy bolt/trunnion will handle.

Feedback Score

There is nothing wrong with a wildcat cartridge. You can design a shortened 308 case with a .358 bullet that will fit in an AK mag. Or use the 35 Remington brass. You can have forming and reloading dies made. I once built up an M1 carbine in 357 Auto Mag. It went 2000 fps with a 158gr bullet. A longer version of that round would work.
    The easiest way would be to rebore a 308 to 358 Winchester. The 358W is easy to make from 308 cases. Had a Winchester M88 in 358 years ago and it was a great cartridge. A rebored Saiga in 358W would make a great bear protection gun. Some were made in the M1A.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The question isn't "what's the most powerful .358 cartridge the Russians could have crammed into an AK", but "why did they choose the .35 Remington over all other competitors, including their own 9x39?"

My theory is it's because these civilian-market rifles were primarily intended to hunt meat for the pot. Why put up with more noise and recoil than you have to, and damage the meat more?

*Someone* thought there was a market for AKs in .35 Remington; both Izhmash and Molot made them for sale in the home market and Europe.

Molot doesn't exist any more, and Izhmash has dumped the .35 along with about half of the calibers they listed last year, during their recent American-style "product line adjustment" as they faced bankruptcy. Frankly, if I was an arms company facing extinction I'd list every cartridge that might conceivably bring some rubles in, even if I had to have old Piotr in the back room run a chambering reamer in with a tap wrench instead of making them on the regular line, but what do I know about business?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

there have been versions of the 308barnes (308x1.5) in 35 calibur. It would be a nice round for a stock length mag well. If your going to the trouble to make a 35 cal then might as well make it 308 length and use avalaibale brass the AR,s are the ones stuck with a short mag well not us.

I suspect the Russians went with the 35 rem because it was a known and used cartridge in europe the 358 never had that much of a following. as far as chosing it over there own 9x39 the answer is simple the round for hunting or any thing else is under powered. It IMOO was designed to be surpressed.

the easyest way for me to get a 35 cal is to simply buy a blank and turn it to theprofile of my 308 Sagia and then chambewr it with my reamer . likely would cost a total of $150 less if I found a cheap take off or blank. I dont havre a lot of use for the round my 308 or 243 will kill any deer I come across but it wold be a fun build none the less.

I was eyeballing a 284 case and if that was blown out to 35 then you could have near mag performance

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.