Thread: .50 Action Express

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default .50 Action Express

I came across a .pdf called "D&S Designs AK & Semi Auto Receiver Plans and Instructions", dated 2000.

It talks about a couple of caliber conversions for the AK, and mentions that .50 Action Express will feed through a .30 Carbine magazine, which might be easier and cheaper to work with than a Desert Eagle magazine.

Wikipedia says the .30 is 1.65" long and the AE is 1.61", which sounds okay, and since the carbine mags are double stack, the larger diameter shouldn't be a problem either.

The AE is a true .500 like the .500 S&W and the .50 Beowulf. Green Mountain still lists their 15" barrels for $80, which would need a permanent muzzle extension or brake to bring them up to 16".

I didn't find anyone renting a .50 AE reamer. Pacific doesn't list one as a standard size, nor does Manson or Clymer, so you'd be looking at $140-ish for a custom. That might be why I didn't find anything except Desert Eagles chambered in .50 AE.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

it will work. Id personaly go with a 410 sagia and do a 500 S&W on it more ammo out there, the round is doable however. keep in mind that .50 barrels may not work with a barrel pin as it will hit the chamber. so threading the trunion like willie did on the 500 S&W may be the only way.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Numrich has Desert Eagle .50 AE magazines for $27.

Feedback Score

I single pointed my chamber on my 500 s&w. If you do single point the 50 AE use your compound or taper attachment at the proper angle with a step for headspacing . I have some input as to welding on a break also at another time. Seems like I remember seeing a M1 carbine converted to 45 Win Mag or 50 AE a 10 or more years ago and might have been a flop by someone wanting to manufacture (CRS again).

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I single pointed my chamber on my 500 s&w. If you do single point the 50 AE use your compound or taper attachment at the proper angle with a step for headspacing
    I have been considering doing the chamber on the 444??? wild cat this way. I was coing to use a throating reamer first do the throat and to remove some metal.

Feedback Score

I got thinking (CRS) and remembered that a straight reamer was used to finish the 500 chamber. I roughed it by single point and started the throat (knock off the lands). I used a .5005? reamer with a 2 deg lead to finish the throat. I have cut 9mm chambers complete by single point. The 50 AE has a tapered case like the 9mm. The above reamers were not pilot reamers like typical chamber reamers. I don't know your capabilities or tooling. The lathe used the hollow spindle type and was tooled to keep the barrel centered in the lathe spindle bore. I indicate my barrels in with "long stem" test indicators and am able to keep the bores staight and true with in "tenths". If you or your tooling doesn't then use chamber reamers. I have rented them from that place in Wyoming. I have made pilot reamers from straight reamers with bronze pilots for shotgun chokes (winchoke). My goverment jobs (aka gun projects) are still off limits at work.

Feedback Score

Another possibility if a non hollow spindle lathe is with truing bands at each end of the barrel. This involves using a steady rest and is not as rigid setup but will work. At lunch now and awake.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.