Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 8mm kurtz

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

hmmm wouldnt a 35 remington be easier and better? or are you stuck on keeping the short round??

is Kurtz ammo avaliable any were cheap??? that 30 RAR round necked up to 32 or 35 would be interesting.

Feedback Score

Hello moleman,
    That fluting machine seems to be an EDM since as you mentioned the little rod in the barrel chamber appears to be an electrode rather than a broaching device.

That electrode likely is mounted via insulation to the machine and a hot wire connects there to the elctrode. The ground wire would connect to the barrel.

As an engineering student I designed and built a small EDM machine a few decades ago. The EDM had an idiot simple "feedback circuit" that let the operator know when the electrode got welded accidentally to the work. That does happen even with the big buck machines. My heavy duty resistors were 200 watt lightbulbs. When the electrode welded and "grounded out" the bulbs (2 of them) would light up !! That signals it's time to back up and break contact. Fun stuff !!!

VD

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Good catch Viper Dude! I remember the original thread I saw was a home made broach and just figured back then that this one was the updated version since it had been a couple years since I saw the thread. I thought the broach looked too thin at the time and thought maybe it was just a mock up. I wasn't even thinking about an edm. I saw some home made edm plans on ebay a while back. Looks like the guy is still selling them 2 years later... EDM Machine Sinker Plans Build CD Broken Tap Extractor - eBay (item 160394607217 end time Feb-11-10 17:43:52 PST) Just figured it fell into the snake oil salesman catagory. Thanks for the information, I'd love to have 1/4 of the machining knowledge you have.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

If you 're looking for info on home-made EDM, there's a book on Lindsay press (same guys who publish Gingery's stuff)

Lindsay: EDM How-To Book
    Q - What is Bambi?

A - Viable Target

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Walker View Post
    If you buy a tap to chamber a AK in 8mm Kurtz, you might as well get reloading dies at the same time.

If you do this, let us know where you got the tap and dies just in case we get jealous of you.

CIP has standardized the cartridge now. S&B is now loading new ammo for it. It should not be too hard to have reamers and dies made as there is plenty of info about it available.

Feedback Score

yep there are a suprising number of sources for new commerical 7.92x33mm kurtz. also easily formed from 8mm mauser or similar cases. Still there is no point in doing this for the FMJ round, its near identical to the 7.62x39mm russian; load up subsonics or 8mm soft points at least.

I was able to load 15 rounds into an 30 round AK mag- there was room for more but I only own 15 rounds of DDR 7.92x33mm. i imagine it would fit 26-27, but not sure the curvature will let that many rounds feed without binding.

Feedback Score

Hello moleman,
    The EDM you referenced looks strangely like mine from 30 years ago !!! Wow, time flies when you are building neet stuff !!! I started with an ancient EDM circuit from a 1950's Pop Sci mag and up-graded it from a half wave rectifier to a full wave (bridge diode type) to get about double the power output. It was a challenge as I am not an EE.

The referenced manual machine uses however a Craftsman MIG welder as the power source. Cute idea !!!

Hello nkluksda,
    The EDM you referenced is a more involved machine that uses an automatic feed system with a feedback circuit like the big boys use. The EDM industry in the US once the largest in the world has vanished and moved to Europe (Germany and Switzerland). One of my college profs was a world-class authority on these "non-traditional manufacturing processes". I was always asking him EDM questions.

Even back then I realised that the EDM had small arms manufacturing potential as well as aerospace applications. However the process is VERY slow as it is a spark etching thing but it will carve even hard or exotic metals. A properly shaped tool-electrode can carve a wierd-shaped blind pocket (locking recess on a Soviet DP-28 for eg.). Those DP locking lug pockets were originally done with a special Metal Shaper machine shaping to a horizontal relief cut.

The EDM machine can do some very cool things in a small home shop that not even a CNC mill or lathe can do. Besides "etching" chamber flutes you could even etch small portraits in reverse on the side of your AK's from a tool made from a coin. Yes, an Abe Lincoln Commemorative AK from a penny !!! haha.

VD

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

i just checked for fun and midway has an 8mm kurtz hornady die set for 69$ not bad for an uncommon round and as far as the chamber reamer i have no clue but i wonder if a 8mm mauser barrel could have part of the chamber section cut off and even if the shoulder of the 8 kurtz is not as shart couldn't you use valve lapping paste on a kurz case and i guess lap the chamber till it fits right?

Feedback Score

Prvi was making ammo before the plant explosion. I don't know if they kept it in production because it seems harder to find now. Some case forming info.

Reloading MP44 Directions 7.92x33 8x33

Lothar Walther

Need Instructions-case Form 8mm Kurtz - MachineGunBoards.com Forums

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

hmmmm if the ammo is not a deal Im not sure what you are gaining over other rounds that are more common but hey its all part of the fun.

My book shows making brass out of 308 win. a 32x308 barnes type round would be very simular. there is a 8mmx308 wild cat as well. there are lots of cheap 8mm barrels out there to play with.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.