Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 8mm kurtz

Feedback Score

The RCBS die set is number#56343..7.92mmx33Kurz Mauser. it is their category 'G' set of dies.

1. I mark the approx. length on the 308 case with a fine tip magic marker.
    2. Cut to length with a small pipe cutter.
    3. Lube and run through the 7.92x33 Kurz sizing die. This will put the bottle neck on the case.
    4. Using a drill press vice, ream on drill press with 8mm reamer. I tried holding the cases with a vice grips, but it just don't work. Finally bought a drill press vice and it works slick. I could not find a 8mm reamer locally so ordered one from: Machine Shop Discount Supply
    5. Trim to proper length.
    6. Case is now ready for loading, i.e. primer, powder, bullet.
    Hornady 8mm 125 grain spire point bullet. 21 grains (20.0-22.0gr)(or 19.5-23.0gr depends on source) IMR 4198 powder and large rifle primer.

Lots of info.

Reloading MP44 Directions 7.92x33 8x33

Feedback Score

7.92x33 Kurz in the 1946 Soviet ammunition guide.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Feedback Score

A couple of pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

The 8mm kurtz is as I understand still used by the military in the Lebonese Army in their MP/StG-44 rifles !!!

Compare an 8mm kurtz round side by side with a .45 ACP round. It is amazing !!!

VD

Feedback Score

An ak should be a shoe in to convert, just change the barrel out to 8mm and chamber for Kurtz round and go shooting.
    Rome is burning.Buck Ofama

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Well after a pot of coffee, two of my sleepy brain cells were working well enough that I think I found the original thread I was thing about for broaching the chamber flutes. HK Weapon Systems Forums: Chamber fluting jig complete (pics) I can't tell for sure since the thread was from 2004 and the pictures are gone. It does explains how he used a spring loaded file as a broaching tool to cut each chamber flute one at a time. That plus the earlier thread I linked to earlier for a jig design would get you in business fluting chambers. I wonder if you could custom grind a long 1/8" carbide tipped masonry bit for a cutter?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

looking at the balasitics of the kurtz i dont see how it would any better as a hog gun than a 7.62x39 in fact it might be worse. I just dont see any real advantages in building one over a x39 that cost less than half to shoot.

other than the fact your the only one on the block to have one it relly dont offer much extra in any given area. possably a better round if made subsonic but not by much. velocity is not any better in fact looks worse. the energy is not a big differance. Id have to have a few cases of ammo to want to build one personaly. I dont think its a bad round just that there are equal rounds more avalaible and cheaper.

Feedback Score

Hornady made one run of loaded ammo for Graf a couple of years ago. The Hornady bullet that is right length and weight has been discontinued. There are a few retailers that still have the bullets in stock. Prvi had an explosion at their plant. There is loaded Prvi ammo that was imported. If nobody imports the Prvi bullets the supply of bullets for reloading looks like it will dry up.

Feedback Score

Moleman,
    Thanks for the link about chamber fluting via broach-filing.

By the way an EDM machine doesn't have to cost $50K per comment in the link. A simple one can be built from plans these days for about $100.oo or less.

ECM (electro-chemical machining) process could be the way to go for fluting. It is essentially an acid etching boosted by DC electricity. A protective coating (resist) masks the metal that is not to be etched.

VD

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ECM (electro-chemical machining) process could be the way to go for fluting. It is essentially an acid etching boosted by DC electricity. A protective coating (resist) masks the metal that is not to be etched.
    there is really good etching thread on the AK forum were guys are doing serial numbers and markings with a ac to dc addapter like used to charge phones ect. Id check that out. I plan on trying it on some scraped out recivers. its really basic to make one its in there sticky section of build it your self

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.