Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 8mm kurtz

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default 8mm kurtz

thinking of another conversion for the future while i work on my current project. how hard or easy would it be converting to 8mm kurtz? maybe just open up the bolt face, see about mags and maybe turn and rechamber a mauser barrel? I'm not looking to start a 7.62x39 vs 7.92x33 debate I just am in love with 8mm rounds. also if there is other posting about this conversion (i couldn't find much) then let me know, i'm not trying to beat a dead horse

Feedback Score

7.62x39mm very closely duplicates the ballistics of 8mm kurtz, except the wider shorter bullet of 8mm does have a lower B.C. The shorter overall length does allow you to load longer heavier bullets, and yes the 8mm Kurtz rounds do seem to work OK in an AK magazine- i was able to load the 15 I have into an ak mag, seemed plausible. Would be a good candidate for a subsonic or silenced AK, or as a hog hunter.

Feedback Score

CETME parts would make a neet candidate for the 8mm kurtz round to create a retro-engineered clone of the StG-45. Chamber flutes might have to be carefully hand-dremelled into the barrel or EDM'd.

VD

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

You can cut your own chamber flutes with a home made broaching tool. http://www.gunco.net/forums/f151/nee...26/index2.html

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

yes exactly guys i like throwing around ideas i like an ak system so far (working on my first) but i have also thought about the possibilities of making a faux stg44 from a cetme. I like 8mm for a heavy shorter bullet like you said hog gun, or maybe pistol type bullets also it seems it would be easy to make brass for an 8mm kurtz, not to mention PP new produced ammo and possibly finding DDR surplus. are there any members here (especially from colorado or western nebraska) that turn barrels? (I know some guys who would do it but for future needs i would prefer doing business with community members)

for 8mm kurtz mags i could always get more of those awesome french 7.5 mags and shorten them very easily. but i'm thinking i would want a curved mag as the kurtz has a very soft tapper to the case and would probably like a curved mag for easier functioning. so probably the standard ak with 15 rounds like you said, was that in an ak 30rnd mag?

what would be very cool would be making a mag well like the g3 mag guys, an underfolder stock, or extend the receiver past the rear trunnion use the rear trunnion just for the recoil spring and cover fitment and then either another like homemade trunnion or just a welded in plate in the back to have a shorter wood stock shaped more like a stg44, just to give a stg44 feel to the whole thing like a what-if type rifle like what if they used the stg44 as more of a foundation for the ak...... just ideas i suppose, I like projects i guess haha,

or here's another idea real quick, neck down a kurtz case to 5.56..... shorter but fatter thatn 5.56 nato

Feedback Score

If it is going to be a CETME you might want to start with an HK-33 bolt carrier. You could cut down the weight of a CETME bolt carrier. I have Soviet post war drawings of 7.92x33 and I have the CIP specs for the cartridge. I think the Soviet book I have is dated around 1946 and has technical drawings for WWII cartridges. I was hoping it would have early 7.62x41 / 7.62x39 drawings but it doesn't. It does have 30 Carbine, 30-06, 8x57, etc. With an AK you wouldn't need chamber flutes and a Mauser or FN-49 barrel could be used.

Feedback Score

Hello moleman,
    Thanks for the link !!!

The fluting machine appears to be a single flute electrode EDM that pulls the electrode toward the chamber rear. The power supply is not pictured nor is the dielectric fluid supply. Typically the power supplies are a pulsed DC, RC network (resistance - capacitance).

The fluted chamber for gun barrels has been around since late WW-I, "The Great War". They replaced oil injection or wax coating ammo in several MG's where rather violent extraction happens.

I experienced the same stonewall when enquiring about chamber fluting (via engineering friends) at H&K and Rhinemetal in Germany. A BFD secret !!!

VD

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

very cool guys i asked a question about fluting an ak chamber in the ak biy section for ak use (if it would smooth things out and allow using much lighter recoil spring and less gas for the gas system) as far as the 8mm kurtz it seems like i would be able to cut down 8x57 cases or heck even 30-06 cases form them in a die then do a final trimming since the base, from what i have found, is .472 or so like the cases i mentioned.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    Hello moleman,
    Thanks for the link !!!

The fluting machine appears to be a single flute electrode EDM that pulls the electrode toward the chamber rear. The power supply is not pictured nor is the dielectric fluid supply. Typically the power supplies are a pulsed DC, RC network (resistance - capacitance).

The fluted chamber for gun barrels has been around since late WW-I, "The Great War". They replaced oil injection or wax coating ammo in several MG's where rather violent extraction happens.

I experienced the same stonewall when enquiring about chamber fluting (via engineering friends) at H&K and Rhinemetal in Germany. A BFD secret !!!

VD
    Somewhere out there in al gores intra net there's some pictures of a guy using a less fancy setup with some good closeups of his broaching tool. I couldn't remember where I saw it a couple years ago and the extra years haven't helped me remember where I saw it about 2005/6. Luckily Gwailo was able to find something from my ramblings. That might explain why the metal strip looking thing going into the chamber looks so thin if it is an edm setup. I have no idea how a edm works, but it would seem that that the barrel or electrode would have to be insulated from the frame in order to work? It doesn't look like it is in the pictures though.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

If you buy a tap to chamber a AK in 8mm Kurtz, you might as well get reloading dies at the same time.

If you do this, let us know where you got the tap and dies just in case we get jealous of you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.