Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: .410 might be possible

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

none of the 308 mags are going likely work for a 410 at they are designed with ribs or get narrower in the front to properly hold a necked down 308 round.

I stuck some 410 shells in a fal mag and it not a very good solution.

Im going to be using G3mags on my switch barrel build and i likely will just bend up a square non ribbed box that will take a g3 spring. a double stack 410 may be tough but not imposable if they can get 7.62x54r to feed then it can likely be dont for the 410.

Im likely going to go rimless and avoid those problems and be able to use the G3 follower.

as single stack would be a easier way to go. orpossably just use Sagia mags but there way to pricy IMOO.

I think you really better think about buttin the upper shroud on the barrel to gide the round. it coing to be pretty tough to feed a flat shell into a hole that is only a few thousands bigger with just a bullet guide.

You might be able to press on a shroud onto the barrel by reducing the part that sticks through the reciver and then add the shrouds/ guides that wayif your working with a prechamberd barrel.

I have like 15 barrels to build before I worry about a shotgun barrel. then Im going to do a smokeless powder 458 cal muzzle loader barrel for it as well A 60,000 psi 458 cal smoke less powder muzzle loading ak will be that badest AK round yet at least for one shot. Oh yea they allow muzzel loader in my pistol/ shot gun zone.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

From the picture it looks like the Mossberg barrel has an extension built onto it already.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the picture it looks like the Mossberg barrel has an extension built onto it already.
    Interesting got a link by chance or a picture?? that would make it a lot easier to build.

I whave been wondering if the ribs ON a G3 mag could be hammered flat some how and the the mag modded for a 410 round. Its worth a couple bucks to try.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'll take a picture when the barrels come in. (I ordered one for the AK, one for the SMLE)

I'm not sure you could press the ribs out without warping the magazine. You might take a cut-off wheel and cut a slot down the indent to give the metal some place to go. You could weld it up, or if you make the slot neat, and you could just leave it open to tell how much ammo you had left.

The front follower stops need to be trimmed back or re-angled; they catch on the fluted plastic of the cases.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yea the stops Can be reworked. the slots are not a bad idea Ind I had considerd it.

a box like the mag could be done and if possable the upper part of the mag removed and add to the home made box. slots can be covered but likely would not need to be and they dont have to go clear to the bottom. Im going to add a feed lip/edge on them for use in my switch barrel build and not use a bullet giide so mags can be made for differant caliburs and the trunion wont need to have ta bullet gude changed. it also will hopefully allow me to move the mag forward slightly and gain some trigger clearanc guard clearance.

I think if the trunion was slid a about a 1/8 ahead or maybe more the hammer would still hit the pin fine and if i could get the mag slightly ahead I might be able to gain back the 1/4" you loose in a 308 type conversion.

If you went with 2.5" 410 shells you could almost use a normal length mag well as there really only about 2 3/8" long. the chamber is longer to allow th crimp to unroll. for example a 3" remington shell is really only 2 5/8" long. 410 will have a 2.5" or 3" chamber but the shells are much shorter.

I dont have a 2.5' shell to measure handy but they might fit a 223 mag with some mods single stack. if you relaod you can make plasic oned shorter with some mods to the die.

A 2 3/16 APROX actual length shell could be used on a standerd reciver easly and likely so could a standard 2.5" shell with a couple sweaks like moving the trigger guard back slightly and possably notching the center support.

I think a 223 length switch barrel build would be super easy on a Sagia 223 or 7.62x39 as the bullet guide could be built into the mag and the shroud could be made inot the barrel. it would be a cool addition.

I got to get this switch barrel idea to completion.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Could you measure the bolt length on your .410 for me?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Other than the challenge, why would you go to all that work when you can just buy one?
    Freedom is not free. Some will perish to preserve it for the many. Just as our Forefathers did before us, we must take up the battle and not waver. Victory is our only option.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

They don't seem to exist in my local area. And once I paid an FFL and shipping to get one here, I'd still have to convert it.

$120 Romy underfolder kit, $35 AK-Builder flat, $25 Numrich .410 barrel, and the parts box is cheaper than I could get a .410 Saiga to my door... and then I'd be out about the same time and money to convert it to AK configuration.

I kind of have my heart set on a double-underfolder .410 now.

Other than that, "just because" ought to cover it!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

for me it will be for my swith barrel build and I will only need to do the barrel. that and I have a few kits i bought cheap back in the day. 119 barrel less kit and a cheap barrel and it can be done for less than $150 total on a flat. I dont think they need compliance part on a shot gun or am I wrong???? I thought it was just on assult rifles I havent really thought about it.?????????

Dont for get that after you buy a Sagia you need to convert it if you want a pistol grip. and that is going to cost. then a Saiga needs expensive mags. I paid $175 for mine before obama and I need to but a pair of mags that will cost close to $80. If I can make a $2 g2 mag work then I can have lots of mags cheap.

the mag is however the secret to the Sagai working and its differant than any oter AK in how it feeds when the bolt is back the round hits the upper shroud before it ever starts to leave the mag. it a a reaally steep angle in the factory mag.

the dust cover is differant as well as the recoil assembly. the spring has a short rod in it and the spring does not go all the way forward inside the carrier and the buttion has a lock in itthat has to be pressed to remove the cover. there is also a cool sheild on the spring that covers the enlarged ejection port in the cover. I may coppy the sheold on my 308 length switch barrel build to keep dust and snow out.

here is a few pics the bottom of the carrier has a grove cut into it in the front also. and not the shell position when the mag isinstalled it is up against the shroud
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I found a 28 guage blank cheap Im still trying to figure out a rimless version for sporting clays I likely can take brass shells and rebate the rim. the case minus rim will almost clear the lugs a few thousands renoved and it will. I would only need a two rond mag for clays as that is all you shoot at one time. so I could actualy get away with a one round mag and load one in the pipe. 50 rounds of brass shells will last a long long time if i dont loose them. a small shell catcher will be needed to hold a couple shells per round. I must have a AK sporting clays gun in 28 guage.

I suspose I could buy a 20 guage and just use that but thats no fun besides who else would have a AK 28 Guage?????? LOL and I can hunt deer with a 28 guage cant with a 410 in this state. My son will need a small bore slug gun in my zone as he cant use pistol untill he is 18.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.