Gunco Forums banner

vz-58 conversion

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  jreifsch80 
#1 ·
looked around alot on here and elsewhere but how hard would it be to convert a vz-58 to .308? would it just require longer repair plates for a longer mag well and maybe a longer striker? or would the bolt carrier ned to be lengthened as well? just throwing out an idea that's been rolling around in my head to see what you guys think and what's been done before. I don't know a whole lot about the vz-58's systems just enough to get me thinking. I know i'll need to turn a barrel and enlarge the bolt face mod the ejector all that just thinking if lengthening the receiver would require lengthening other things.

also i put it here in the ak caliber conversion section as i wasn't sure where else to put it

#3 ·
Wouldn't the area between the locking block and the chamber have to be cut and lengthened for the longer 308 cartridge/mags? If so I wouldn't trust my welds to keep back 50Kpsi. Let alone as 1 biggun says, the pistol type locking block the vz has that is similar to a P38 or 92FS.

#4 ·
from looking at pictures of a vz i would think it would be behind the locking block that could be lengthened for the mags and round i guess you could legthen either side but if you lengthen behind the lugs and block i was wondering if you would need to thengthen the rear of the carrier and the striking pin I personally have no clue how much a vz can handle but from pictures it looks like a the lugs and locking block looks at least as large of contact and material as an ak maybe even more. anyone ever do a vz conversion? does vz-58 make reweld plates for it anymore? or did he ever get them working well?

#7 ·
My 6.5mm grendel build was easy compared to a .308 round. Hardest part was modding the AR mags. Not sure about whether it would handle the .308 or not. But you're right, the striker would probably need to be custom made since it would most likely be to short in the longer receiver.
As far as I know, no one makes vz repair plates. I think hcpookie was going to try(sorry if I'm wrong on who, been awhile since I read that post) but had issues with batf. A .308 vz would be cool. HMMM, hey 1biggun, ah never mind..lol I'll stick with the switch barrel idea! lol

#9 ·
I need to get one of these guns to play with. A 308 really steps up the pressures so do your home work on a conversion. the new 30 RAR might be a interesting round in a VZ 58 it gives a increase over the x39 and still fits in a ar mag. Afreys1967 mag set up would be perfect for it.

the grendal he did is pretty sweet and evcery thing fits with out serious mods.

#10 ·
You will no doubt have to lengthen the magwell area to accept a broader
mag. That might do the trick as far as cycling the larger cartridge on the Vz.
I find the .308 conversion enticing. Do homework for sure as 1biggun suggests.

#11 ·
ok thanks for the advice i might be able to convince welldog to work with me on this conversion also i'm going to look into making the lug on my repair plates bigger and might make the falling block out of some very strong steel and with larger lugs as well miught not be too hard

#13 ·
Translation from Czech. The model 67 was in 7.62x51, developed in 1966, and the model 70 was in 5.56x45.

Automatic rifle from the 70

Not long after the introduction of the Model 58 Assault weapons CSLA our engineers redesigned the automatic rifle to a standard charge of NATO - 7,62 x51mm. This gun came from marking the 67th
At this time we got to the M16 rifles captured in a new caliber of the Vietnam War, along with the ammunition. It was an adjustment of the Model 58 Assault on the type of charge.
One of the problems in this development was the unavailability of drawings nábojových chambers and major holes in this caliber. Designers, therefore, the value obtained is the M16 rifles captured in Vietnam. Barrel length has been optimized for low dispersion. A similar situation was to charge 5.56 x45mm, Blanická strojirny also used to develop M193 ammunition captured.
Development of 70 rifles began in December 1970. You have chosen a basis in vz.58 Assault infantry models with fixed stock. Originated two versions of these weapons. One version was the muzzle attachment for firing rifle grenades and the second compensator (similar to that of AKM weapons), which could be to replace the cap for firing rifle grenades.

The differences between the AP 70 and a machine gun vz.58:

Actual case concludes with pažbením (stock, forearm and nadpažbí) and the trigger mechanism was preserved. Therefore, it can be deployed in case the original container.
Changes to touch either the piston and the expansion sleeve.
The actual double-column magazine with a capacity of 30 rounds segmental retaining shape but with a smaller curvature and its length was a little smaller.
As stated above, this one change has been mainly using ending with another mouth. The version with fixed nozzle for firing rifle grenades were equipped with folding bead sight for firing grenades. Version with a removable cap, these sights mounted directly on the attachment.
Curve visor had to be adjusted for different external balistku charge M193.
Carrier závorník remained almost unchanged up to the slot for inserting small strips of nábojových 5.56x45 ammunition. For závorníku was made the largest number of changes. In addition to changing the actual dimensions of the bed on the bottom of the new charges, pleaded change the extractor and pin. Pin was unlike Assault vz.58 secured transverse pin.

Tests of automatic rifles from the 70:

This weapon has undergone extensive comparison tests with a machine gun and automatic rifle vz.58 M16.
Tests showed better control weapons using ammunition 5.56x45mm. The difference was significant mainly in firing rate. Tests showed that vz.58 Assault is using the same ammunition equivalent M16 rifle.

#14 ·
Assuming this is a parts kit build, you could machine an insert since as moleman suggests the lugs will have to be farther back, or you're going to need a barrel extension of some sort. Basically you're going to have to make your own repair section so the longer rounds will work properly. The springs should work OK as will the rest of the rifle, just the longer repair section and obviously longer magazine well. If you DO make your own repair section you should make sure the locking lug area is made of good steel. The lugs should be heat treated and stress-relieved as well after you finish welding the repair section. If the welds are done up GOOD then the only concern will be how well the locking lugs will hold up against the stress of the hotter round. Tough call there, I'd really get good welds, don't paint it, and inspect for cracks in-between shots for the first few dozen rounds. If the headspace remains consistent then you should be comfortable firing it as the receiver isn't stretching.

May just be easier to build an entire new receiver if you get the prints and lengthen that area. Buy a chunk of 4140 steel and a bag full of carbide cutters and go to it. Properly heat treat that baby and never look back. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.