Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: AMD 243 WITH G3 MAG BUILD ON STD REC

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Its a south bend 9" very early one as it dosent have the common 1 1/2 spindel but some other goofy size that you cant find backing plates for. I got a full set of standard gears for it. need a three jaw and a steady rest. I have a bigger calusing with roller bearings that I need to get up and running and cleaned up that will be better for this.

Id really like to use a AK 74 bolt and carrier but there pricey and I dont have any on hand. I think the bolt would be a little stronger. Im debating on going woth a stock RSB or making a custom one for optics only like onmy varmint builds. a 243 with out optics is kind of pointless. long range round with short range sights is not a good combo. Im going to make the lower rail with the ejector today and hopefully get those welded in. I need to come up with a cross member of some type as well Im thinking if the mag well to extend into the reciver in the back and the tab I left on the reciver was on the out side of the mag well housing that I could use the rear of the mage well as the center support and just weld it in and not need a rivet and tube set up. I have a whole bunch of ideas here to sort out.
    Im going need a few compliance parts as well if this gets a pistol grip and evil features. I may make a floor plate and use a US made stock.

Im wondering if I use a US made rod and butt pad on a AMD folding hinge is it a US stock Or not????? I have a AMD trunin with the stock rod broken off that would be perfect for this i want a folding colapsable that will adjust for a kid possable. That part is all up in the air.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Funny! I've got the same damn thing! Took a coons age to find the gears. No luck yet on a four jaw chuck. There's a guy on Ebay who sells new made steady rests.
    I bought a 1 1/2" headstock & plan to rebuild someday. I hate putting too much money into it because of the tiny thru hole making it useless for many barrels. I do see 4 foot beds on Ebay also.

NEW TELESCOPIC STEADY REST FOR SOUTH BEND 9" LATHE - eBay (item 400048686247 end time Apr-03-10 21:21:06 PDT)

BTW; I have not found the oddball reversing gear yet either.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Setback for the hammer and center support is the biggest hassle on these. You'll need to resize the hammer some to fit "around" the center support and for extra room for the spring. That's precisely what Saiga did with their .30-06 rifle, and what I discovered the hard way on my .308 conversion

It should go without saying you'll probably need to weld up the existing center support and hammer pin holes to move them back the extra 3/8" or so and re-drill.

Not hard, just tedious getting it all to fit.

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK...08/mag_308.htm

Edit to add that IMO after playing with my .308 conversion I believe the internal rails should be custom-built to be extra big. More like PSL rails than AK rails. Since you're going to have to modify the rail anyway for the longer .243 round you might as well make them custom all the way. You want that extra reinforcement on a 1mm receiver shell... I haven't had issues with mine and its standard AK rails after the 150 rounds or so I've put through it, but that extra metal sure won't hurt! I only heat treated the axis pins, but if you heat treat the entire receiver shell it would probably help just as much as heavier internal rails. Something to consider.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score

Hello 1biggun,
    Some fellows make their own chuck backing plate from old cast iron barbell weights. Those can be bored and threaded to your oddball lathe spindle, then trued on the spindle for a new chuck.

I have made a backing plate from a large nut matching the spindle thread. The nut was welded to a steel plate then trued and bored on the spindle for my chuck.

VD

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

OK here's a crummy pic of what I got.
    I didn't save the pins for the trigger or transfer bar thing, also I pulled the sleeve to get the disconnector spring, I didn't save that either.
    If there's anything you don't need that's in the pic, let me know.

PM me your mailing addy, I'm not sure if I still have it. I might not be able to get this mailed until Saturday though, so I hope your not in a hurry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

If there's anything you don't need that's in the pic, let me know.
    looks like every thing I need PM sent.

I can get the hammer to clear the mag with a bit of grinding and the spring will just clear or very lightly touch but not enough to be a issue. The the center support will take some thinking. I keep looking at the existing holes and thinking a U shaped weld in cross support could be welded in that comes back around the mag. I got to fill the holes any way.

This conversion would be sweet on a milled reciver.

Ill get it to fit some how. I could move the trunion slightly ahead but Id like to be able to make all the furniture fit like it should.

If I go calif legal I might just weld the folder in the open position and extend the stock slightly or add a spacer onto the butt plate andthen attach the rubber pad. I have a Saiga stock but there pretty cheesy. but it would be free and simple.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Hello 1biggun,
    Some fellows make their own chuck backing plate from old cast iron barbell weights. Those can be bored and threaded to your oddball lathe spindle, then trued on the spindle for a new chuck.

I have made a backing plate from a large nut matching the spindle thread. The nut was welded to a steel plate then trued and bored on the spindle for my chuck.

VD

Id have to figure out a way to thread it but Im sure it can be done. thanks for the tip on the barbell weight I like that.

My clausing has the oposite problem no 4 jaw but its got a standard 1 1/2" spindle so there are lots of plates and directbolt on chucks for it. Its a 12" and has a longer bed I really need to strip it down clean it and the reassmble it correctly. I wanted to put a variable speed DC set up on it as well.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

BTW; I have not found the oddball reversing gear yet either.
    does it look like this? I you can find a gear that is the corect teeth size and count it shold not be to hard to make one. I can get you the tooth count if you like.

I started looking into cutting threads Looks like 1-16 is pretty straight forward and simple.

I have 2 1/2" bed. I do have a drive plate for using dogs and screws or some thing that fits my spindle I suspose I could bolt a plate to that and then bolt the chuck to the plate. I might loose some precious bed clearance i have a tough time doing much on if its very long but he 4 jaw works for that any way. It would be nice to be able to just toss some stock i a three jaw for basic busshings etc.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I got the bolt opend up id rather have had a end mill and done it on the mill or even the end mill in the lathe would work or a drill press. It can be done with a die grinder but I have the tools so do it right. I set it a .475 same as a Saiga 308 face. I will give it a very slight bevel also.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Replied to your PM.

I think using the lathe the way you show is about the best way of doing it.
    I need to stop buying gun stuff for a little and get a lathe
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.