Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: AMD 243 WITH G3 MAG BUILD ON STD REC

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If you have or make a holder to take round shanked tools, an old two flute end mill makes a dandy boring bar. Just grind back one side for clearance, then set the other side level. The cutter geometry is way better than those nasty Chinese brazed-carbide boring bars.

Looks like your triangular cutter did fine, though.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

great idea on using a end mill with one side removed ill gice that a try for a couple of projects. I dont have a small boring bar yet.

the triangle did ok but that bolt is hard and it catches on the groove. I rather put it in my rotery table in the mill and true the face to the pin hole. the pin ole on this bolt is about .004 out of true. a metrick end mill is just the right size. It dont take much. I hit the extractor some with a griinder and cut off wheel to move it back I also trimmed the back were it hits the bolt so the front didnt have to be trimmed as much. pretty easy and it seems to lock into place I caan always go more off.
    the barrel is pressed and pinned into place and head spaced slightly tight on a go and just right on a hand formed round made form 7.62x51 nato brass with the neck ID turned. Im debating on a custom GB with optic rail or stock and doing somthing later.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Replied to your PM.

I think using the lathe the way you show is about the best way of doing it.
    I need to stop buying gun stuff for a little and get a lathe
    I got the PM thanks.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    does it look like this? I you can find a gear that is the corect teeth size and count it shold not be to hard to make one. I can get you the tooth count if you like.

I started looking into cutting threads Looks like 1-16 is pretty straight forward and simple.

I have 2 1/2" bed. I do have a drive plate for using dogs and screws or some thing that fits my spindle I suspose I could bolt a plate to that and then bolt the chuck to the plate. I might loose some precious bed clearance i have a tough time doing much on if its very long but he 4 jaw works for that any way. It would be nice to be able to just toss some stock i a three jaw for basic busshings etc.
    Yes Biggun that's the bugger. I bought an entire newer headstock with the tumbler type reversing gears I hope to use. But not sure yet if everything will fit.Or if all the gears will mesh. Just has not risen to the top of my priority pile.

BTW: you have a MUCH nicer gear change chart.. I'm printing out your pics to put by my lathe.
    mines a 405 I believe according to the UK website.

lathes
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I will get you some better pictures of the plate if you like. it not a proplem . mine has the part that holds the door broken were it mounts to the bed I just leave the door off but at some point I need to fix it. Id like a steady rest but likely will not by one as my other lathe has one and it bigger I ned to make sure the spindle is true and then rip it apart go through every thing and then reassemble. I like the idea of having two lathes so I can leave a job sitting if I want to and not hve to redo the set up. Im getting pretty damm fast setting up the 4 jaw though so its starting to be come second nature and is much more accurate.

Im going to make the rails today hopefully and weld them in then Ill address the cross memeber its going to be a pretty tight fit but Ill get some thing across there. might have to weld it in

Feedback Score

A little late to the party on this one, BUT....have you seen the new Saigas in .243?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

A little late to the party on this one, BUT....have you seen the new Saigas in .243?
    NO BUT IF THERE OF THE SAME QUALITY AND DESIGN OF MY 308 SAIGA ID PASS UNLESS THEY WERE $250.

ILL HAVE LESS THAN $2OO IN THIS BUILD DEPENDING ON COMPLIANCE PARTS AND FURNITURE. AND A SAIGA ISINT CALIFORNIA LEGAL I DONT THINK AND I MIGHT WANT TO TAKE THIS OUT THERE ON MY NEXT TRIP.

IM NOT PAYING $550 FOR A GUN THAT I WILL NEED TO COMPLETLY REWORK TO MAKE IT USEABLE WHEN I CAN BUY A DECENT 243 BROWNING BAR FOR THAT. IF I WERE NOT INTO AK'S I WOULDNT EVEN CONSIDER A SAGIA 308 OR 243. THEY SCREAM ELCHEAPO AND THE TRIGGERS AND STUFF ARE TOTAL CRAP.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Hey your PM box is full, no big deal to me, but others might try.
    Just wanted to let you know I got to the PO today, sent it regular mail (hope they don't F-it up ), I sent it in one of those padded white envelope things.
    Let me know when (if) it gets there.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by us_dragunov View Post
    Welcome to Gunco!

BTW I haven't seen that in .243 - never knew they made those. I'm a bit more optimistic on the functionality than biggun

I sent you a PM, BTW

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Welcome to Gunco!

BTW I haven't seen that in .243 - never knew they made those. I'm a bit more optimistic on the functionality than biggun

I sent you a PM, BTW
    It functions fine but they get way to much for them VS's the other Saigas when all your gaining is a 3rd lug and a crappyier trigger. My 410 SG is great compared to the 308 trigger that extends back to the rear of the reciver. the teter totter set up in the other Sagias isint that bad with a little work. Im not exagerating when i say my 308 sagia has a 1/4 of preetravel then a a ton to much snd stage and then the carrier gets stuck against the RSB and then i cut my hand open on the sart edges and then hungry wolves will track me down and I will only have a 5 shot mag with 6 wolves and gun with a shitty trigger and then I get ate. LOL The gun will hopefully be a finely tuned 1000 yard gopher liller by june. I may have it shooting 6mm-284 by then.

Hey your PM box is full, no big deal to me, but others might try.
    Just wanted to let you know I got to the PO today, sent it regular mail (hope they don't F-it up ), I sent it in one of those padded white envelope things.
    Let me know when (if) it gets there.
    thanks I asked in my barrel ad for guys to email me but my PM box got filled any way I need to go through it and save an edit some of the links and info and plans that so many have sent ect.

I wont be on the net as much due to starting a new job this week. good to work but sucks to have to.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.