Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: AMD 243 WITH G3 MAG BUILD ON STD REC

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default AMD 243 WITH G3 MAG BUILD ON STD REC

I was planing a super fancy build for my son but I have decided to get a more traditional build done first that will be more standard to get all the bugs worked out of the mag system and other issues. I am doing a 243Win on a AMD 65 barreles kit. I want to use as many standard parts as possable to work out what will and wont work. I'm using a bent Tapco that I had laying around its a early flat with out the top rails bent.
    Trigger clearance is a issue on these conversion and i dont like the squished in trigger guard look that some guns have like the 308 GALIL or some other conversion I have done or seen. It would be easy to just weld on tome AK lugs like standard mag and use a normal mag latch but I would loose around 1/2" of trigger clearance. Here is what I've come up with i threw this together in a about a hour. using normal tools.

I dedempled the reciver with a custom dedempling tool or whats known as a C clamp. If I was starting from scratch Id flatten them out before hand. I opend up the mag with a specaly set up mag well, rail cutting, trigger adjustning device or a digrinder with a cut off wheel. trimmed back to the second hole for the trigger guard and bent the center out to allow me to use it to wled the mag well housing to it. I considered using it bent inward as a center support but its pretty close to the hammer.

The mag well is 4143 .060 bent on a break and trimmed to fit. the one shown is just for mock up and will not be used. Ill make a few additions to make it so it will rivet spot weld in front and rear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I modifed the mag to clear a unmodifed trunion but the trunion could be ground slightly and mag could be used unmodifed. this will be for a screw build but it wil also allow room for rivets, with the modifed mags. I used a steel mag as I can weld on it if I screw it up. Steel mags are slightly tighter as well so I know aluminum will work down the road. mags are about a dollar for aluminum if you shop around, so modifying them is not a very big deal and they will still fit in a G3 if I had one. these were done with a die grinder but the final ones will be milled so they look much cleaner. this build is abpout working out the bugs.

notice that there is no way that the areas ground away can never make contact with the rounds and the slot I cut will allow room for a rivet or a screw and the rounds wont hit then either. the edge of the mag is the same height as a original. If this was a Saiga with no bullet guide the edge of the mag could be raised and serve as a guide. the edge of the mag does loose some strength but its reinforced by the trunion when in the gun. It could be reinforced by welding a piece of metal across it. but I dont think its nessacary. the rear of the mag may need to be lowered slightly I wont know untill the carrer is in.

Note the differance in a 300 savage VS the 308. I think it will be fine but a spacer could be installed in the rear of the mag.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I got the mag in the and noticed a few things. I may have to move the mag back some and or trim the feed lips back slightly to allow the round to relase before it gets to far in the barrel. Im going to try it all the way against the trunion for now. the rails get pretty tight against the mad and I had to trim the mag stabaliser rails completly off and thin the rails slightly. Ill be making the ejector side from scratch with metal i bought in 4130 and bent in a brake. the ejector needs to be moved back to allow a loaded round to eject. Ill make the ejector run quite a ways back so i can trim it back untill its correct. based on my previous conversions Im figuring about 1/2". The recess in the mag for the catch is ablut dead even with the bottom of the reciver. I plan on using the original lock recess so this is a good thing. the bolt appears to catch the round OK in this position. but Ill make my final mag well a little longer to allow me to raise it if i need to before final asembly.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

no it wont be a pistol the stub looking thing is a tool I use to true the reciver in the vice boring it also works as a way to detrmine if a round will feed that slides in and out easly. it looks cool as a 308 4" pistol however. but would be pretty much useless.

I turned a barrel out of a new remington 700 20" 243 barrel I profiled it to match a AMD 65 but it will be 18" long Im going to run the short 65 tube. I left a little extra material in front of the stub to allow for a future set back if the throat erodes or i decide to go to a a 6mm-284 chamber I want to try. I gave it a 11 degree crown. 18" will give decent MV but keep the weight down. Im not sure were this gun will end up. I might add a Saiga trigger and use it in California with a Sagia stock for some hog hunting when I go out there. i turned the muzzel but did not thread it yet Im trying to determine the california laws. I know flash hiders are not allowed but I dont know about breaks or threads or nuts.

the barrel is one US 922 part if I go with a pistol grip.

I am looking for a Sagia trigger guard or a AK guard that is broken at the latch cheap or free I had some but I gave them all away LOL. I also could use a few Sagia trigger with the transfer bar set up that uses the extra hole, not the 308 style. Any body got any in there junk drawers?? I can make the guard but Im trying to do this with factory parts to show it can be done with only minor mods. I want to run the guard off the mag well housing straight back. A Saiga or broken AK guard would be perfect. I can make a simple strap if needed .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

That all I got done today but here are a few more pics.

I hope to get this into a fireable state to run some hot loads by string to make sure it will hold up to the planed 48,000 PSI or less loads. Ill take percise head space readings before I install the trunion with screws and then pull the trunion and recheck them after a improvised proof load. I think around 68,000 PSI Should do the trick. If it dont blow at that it should be good at 48,000 forever.

THIS IS MY PLAN DONT COPY ME I AM NOT A ENGINER AND I SUCK AT MATH. COPYING ME COULD GET YOU KILLED.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I need to open the bolt face to around .472-.480 I can do it in a lathe but Id rather do it on a mill so I can also true it to the bore and the pin hole ect down the road. a 12mm end mill would work but more money I dont have so Ill have to wait a bit. I also hace been enterting the idea of rebating the brass and not modifing the bolt. this would prevent factory loads from fitting and reduce the risk of a over load. I have a idea of tool to cut rims quickley. the down side is possable bolt over rideing the round. I havent decided yet. I will load ever round for this gun and my kid will be shooting it so I may rebate the brass initaly I can always open the bolt down the road.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I am looking for a Sagia trigger guard or a AK guard that is broken at the latch cheap or free I had some but I gave them all away LOL. I also could use a few Sagia trigger with the transfer bar set up that uses the extra hole, not the 308 style. Any body got any in there junk drawers??
    I got some or most of those parts, let me dig around and I'll let you know sometime Monday.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I got some or most of those parts, let me dig around and I'll let you know sometime Monday.
    That would be great Im thinking this might end up as a California legal hunter for when I visit out there this year. a tranasfer bar? trigger set up would be great for this possably just a 7.62x39 normal build.

I dont plan on putting a lot of work into this gun just want it to dial in the mag stuff the reciver is a little rough but its not the worst I have seen. it will make a nice test gun.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Looks like an interesting project. thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing more pics and reading more about this as you finish it up.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Nice work! That looks similar to my Southbend 9" lathe I'm trying to learn how to use.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.