Gunco Forums banner

Magal proposal

8K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  TRX 
#1 ·
The Magal was a short-lived Israeli variant. It used a modified Micro-Galil receiver wrapped in a plastic shell, with a short barrel chambered in .30 Carbine. It was sort of like a Krinkov, except intended for police and security forces.

Apparently the Israelis weren't satisfied with the design, and dropped it after a brief run. A handful of parts kits made it over here, but like the Krinkov, the Magal would be an NFA SBR in its original configuration.

Of course, the key part of building a Magal is the plastic stock assembly. I found two vendors that have them, one for $99, one for $135. The second claimed to have thousands of them in stock.

You could build a Magal as a pistol build, and you could do it in 7.62x25. Or you could build it as a full length rifle, and maybe SBR it later.

Naturally, as soon as I had my wondrous idea, a quick tour of the search engines showed it had been done before.

Blackthorne's web site shows a Romanian AK with a Magal stock. They cut away part of the magwell to clear the magazine (5.45 or 5.56), and it looks like they cut away the side for a regular AK selector instead of the Micro Uzi left-side lever. I would have thought fitting a straight Romanian receiver in a shell made for a slant-cut Galil would have been a problem, but apparently the Israelis left enough room.

Pictures: Blackthorne conversion with WASR guts, stock .30 Carbine Magal, one with regular Galil guts, Magal pistol

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Feh. The "Blackthorne" ones are $99 vs $135 for the other.

I've been aware of the Magal for quite some time, but never considered anything Magal-like since I didn't think the stocks were available. The more I look at it, the more I like it. The Voices tell me one of those would look good on my Beowulf build...

#13 ·
HMMMMMMM the pistol looks OK but the rifle versions sort of look over done . Im not real big on stuff that dosent do any thing an the stock set sort of gives me that gun in plastic cover look . kind of reminds me lof some of thoise rugger 10-22 stock sets that make the gun look like somehting else to scare Zombies or somehting .

I guess the fact that your trying to cloe a reare gun is the most interesting part . do any of these guns still exist any were in original form? Are these stocks original or copys ?

I guess for $99 its not a super bad deal but you cn buy a pistol grip an a cut down fore end for about $10 an it does the same thing.

I would think it was cool if was a integreal part of the recvier an actualy not just a cover . I dont hate it its just not my thing I guess.
the 30 carbine is not my favorite either I have a couble m1<s there sort of worth for what I do but I t would be a fine self defense set up I guess. If ammo was cheap like 7.62x25 was Id really be interested in it . I think it a ok round for a blow back it out does the X25 as I recall . The biolt is going to need to be heaver on a blow back than a X25 ?????????

hmm maybe if you could some how attach rails to the stock/cover an secure a fornt trunion into it an a FCG it would be reaaly neat then .

#16 ·
With my Form 1 hopefully going through in the next two or three months I figured it was time to buy a barrel blank. Green Mountain has free shipping this month, and they're my go-to source for barrels, so I moseyed over there. Hmm, 17x1" 9mm blank, $34.95. But... 1:10 twist looked a bit fast.

So... off into internet-land for a few hours. It turns out 9x19 twist rates are all over the place. I found a document from Schumann barrels saying they had determined a slower twist than the usual 1:16 was advantageous, so they were making their new barrels at 1:24.

Well, dang. But GM does have a stainless 25" barrel for $99.95 with a 1:20 twist. Three times what I planned to pay. <sigh> Can't win for losing sometimes.

I picked up a Galil folding stock from Apex for $109, though. I've found a couple of pictures of Magals apparently built on standard Galil receivers, with the standard folding stock, instead of the Micro-Galil receiver, so it shouldn't look too strange.

#19 ·
I'm a dumb ass, I picked up an AR 9mm upper from JSE in December, it has a 1:10 barrel on it, but I haven't used it yet so I can't give an opinion on accuracy.

And I went to GM and looked at their UZI barrels, they all look like they are 1:10, but not all of them have the twist listed.

#20 ·
Looks like you're right; 9mm carbine twists run from 1:10 to 1:20, but the majority are 1:10, and that's what Colt uses. I think I'll just buy the 1:10 barrel and see how it works.

I got the "has some wear" Galil stock out of its box and examined it. The black finish is mostly worn off, and there are a couple of small dings, and the cast aluminum buttplate is worn from being grounded on hard surfaces. Nothing a fresh coat of paint won't cure. And the latch mechanism is nice and tight.

#22 ·
It's HEEERE!

Mailed: Dec 03, 2013
Received: August 25, 2014

SBR, caliber 9mm, barrel 8"

"Thunderbirds Are Go!" Well, when I get some freakin' *TIME*... I did get a nice 9mm barrel blank from Green Mountain last month, when they had free shipping.

#23 ·
Steel bar for making the front trunnion is here. I need to make one for my 2XTM build too. I can't see hacking up an AK trunnion I could use for something else...

Two Jack Squat PPsh-41 puzzle-piece magwells arrived, in case I gork a receiver completely during the reweld process.

I still need to pick up some odd bits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.