Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Magal proposal

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    Do it! You know you want to!
    Ah. I'd forgotten about this thread, and found it again when I was looking for Magal stuff.

The Voices won.

I'm going to do the build as a blowback 9mm on a welded receiver. It will be much easier than .30 Carbine, and 9mm is much cheaper to shoot, plus I already load for it. And it will be <i>much</i> simpler and cheaper than .30 Carbine, which would require starting with a milled Galil receiver and making the cuts for the "Micro" shape used in the Magal...

revocable living trust: CHECK
    Form 1: CHECK (mailed 12/10/2013)
    Magal stock: CHECK
    three Galil cut receivers from Apex: CHECK
    Galil top cover: CHECK

The Magal's .30 Carbine magazine was slightly curved. I'm planning on using PPSh41 magazines, which look fairly close to the Magal magazine.

I'll have to build the gas block, bolt, mag latch, and some other bits; it shouldn't be that hard.

Since the receiver already has the cuts for the Galil safety, I'm planning to build my own Galil-style safety bits. A few people have gone that route, probably for the same reason I plan to - real Galil safety bits are disproportionately expensive.

The hard part will be the folding stock. There are several Galil stocks, and of course the Magal uses the rarest, most expensive one, where the folder bracketry is milled right into the back of the receiver. I may wind up faking it. Fortunately the stock itself won't be any problem; I've found pictures of Magals with every type of Galil stock. Same for the top covers, too; and some had Mepro optics and no rear sights.

The Magal's bayonet lug is a separate part, on the top of the barrel instead of underneath. It looks to be an ordinary SAR lug ($30 from Apex), except upside down. I haven't been able to find a picture of the Magal bayonet. If any bayonets were actually made, they would have had to be unique to the Magal, since the lug to muzzle spacing is much shorter than an ordinary Galil. I haven't found anything useful about the flashlight the Magal used, but I'll just fake that with an appropriate Maglite or something.

I'm not planning on starting the build until the Form 1 comes back, and those are reportedly backed up for more than a year. But as funding permits, I'll continue to acquire bits and toss them into the Magal box. Clear plastic sweater boxes from the dollar store are great for storing inactive projects...
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score

I'll be watching this one.
    HART SYSTEMS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evr_tP9cJWY
    Pull up your pants, turn off that damn rap and speak clear English, if you want to talk to me.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

HMMMMMMM the pistol looks OK but the rifle versions sort of look over done . Im not real big on stuff that dosent do any thing an the stock set sort of gives me that gun in plastic cover look . kind of reminds me lof some of thoise rugger 10-22 stock sets that make the gun look like somehting else to scare Zombies or somehting .

I guess the fact that your trying to cloe a reare gun is the most interesting part . do any of these guns still exist any were in original form? Are these stocks original or copys ?

I guess for $99 its not a super bad deal but you cn buy a pistol grip an a cut down fore end for about $10 an it does the same thing.

I would think it was cool if was a integreal part of the recvier an actualy not just a cover . I dont hate it its just not my thing I guess.
    the 30 carbine is not my favorite either I have a couble m1<s there sort of worth for what I do but I t would be a fine self defense set up I guess. If ammo was cheap like 7.62x25 was Id really be interested in it . I think it a ok round for a blow back it out does the X25 as I recall . The biolt is going to need to be heaver on a blow back than a X25 ?????????

hmm maybe if you could some how attach rails to the stock/cover an secure a fornt trunion into it an a FCG it would be reaaly neat then .

Feedback Score

I'm having no luck finding pics of one of these with a AK mounted inside.
    Just on the blackthorne site I see one, but the pic is small.
    HART SYSTEMS
    Pull up your pants, turn off that damn rap and speak clear English, if you want to talk to me.

Feedback Score

Ah damn it TRX, I just hate you for showing me this.
    I have been thinking about a 45 acp version of my Vityaz stuffed in one of these Magal stocks all night.

HART SYSTEMS

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

With my Form 1 hopefully going through in the next two or three months I figured it was time to buy a barrel blank. Green Mountain has free shipping this month, and they're my go-to source for barrels, so I moseyed over there. Hmm, 17x1" 9mm blank, $34.95. But... 1:10 twist looked a bit fast.

So... off into internet-land for a few hours. It turns out 9x19 twist rates are all over the place. I found a document from Schumann barrels saying they had determined a slower twist than the usual 1:16 was advantageous, so they were making their new barrels at 1:24.

Well, dang. But GM does have a stainless 25" barrel for $99.95 with a 1:20 twist. Three times what I planned to pay. <sigh> Can't win for losing sometimes.

I picked up a Galil folding stock from Apex for $109, though. I've found a couple of pictures of Magals apparently built on standard Galil receivers, with the standard folding stock, instead of the Micro-Galil receiver, so it shouldn't look too strange.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

But... 1:10 twist looked a bit fast
    Since you said that I looked at a few carbines and a lot of them are using 1:10, a couple are even at 1:9, so you might want to grab what you want of those.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Hmm, I think I ought to look at what the Colt AR 9mm carbines are using.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I'm a dumb ass, I picked up an AR 9mm upper from JSE in December, it has a 1:10 barrel on it, but I haven't used it yet so I can't give an opinion on accuracy.

And I went to GM and looked at their UZI barrels, they all look like they are 1:10, but not all of them have the twist listed.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Looks like you're right; 9mm carbine twists run from 1:10 to 1:20, but the majority are 1:10, and that's what Colt uses. I think I'll just buy the 1:10 barrel and see how it works.

I got the "has some wear" Galil stock out of its box and examined it. The black finish is mostly worn off, and there are a couple of small dings, and the cast aluminum buttplate is worn from being grounded on hard surfaces. Nothing a fresh coat of paint won't cure. And the latch mechanism is nice and tight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.