Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: .308 psl/fpk

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by akfiend View Post
    also the psl trunnion is designed for a rimmed cartridge so if i used it would it cause any complications?
    It doesn't look like it. The bolt is what needs to be changed and the ejector rail in the receiver. The 8mm M76 bolt is the same length as the PSL bolt.

Feedback Score

I wouldn't use a non bulged trunnion on this. The amount of metal holding the barrel pin in on the standard trunnions really isn't that much and it could crack or something.

Feedback Score

ahhh ok thanks, so a m76 8mm bolt will accept a .308 cartridge without modification?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

just get a 308 take off barrel from a remington 700 or other bolt action and profile it fit your needs it will already be chambered. they can be found for around $40 if your patiant.

the barrel gets pretty thin if a 7.62x39 barrel is rechambered due to the stub reducing in size. it may not be heavy enough. I persoanly would not risk it. I have no evidence or facts that it wont hold up but the barrel is complety reduced th the OD of the RSB by were the chamber ends. a little extra material in that are will help accuracy as well.

there are several mag options for a 308. the trigger does not need to be moved back it will work in the existing location the hammer will need to be notched.

the continuing $64,000 question is how much pressure a two lug AK bolt and trunion will handel??

I still think a 300 savage is a safer bet but unfortunatly ammo is not nearly as cheap factory loaded.

if one wants to use a traditional mag catch and still have a little more finger clearance you can use a longer reciver and move the trunion ahead slightly it will require a slightly longer duat cover or moving the RSB back slightly. There are a lot of ways to skin a cat on this one.

im currrently doing a 243 build on a AMD that will be loaded lighter than factory but will still give great performance. Im going with g3 and CETME mags but it will reguire mods but it will retain good finger clearance.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Col. Hatcher ran tests on the 30-06 Springfield barrel for strength.....by turning down the diameter of the barrel where the chamber ends. The barrel was down to 1/8 inch thick before a chunk of the barrel blew out. The AK barrel is a bit thicker than that where the chamber ends.

Feedback Score

The Yugo AK barrel is thicker than an AKM barrel, even at the rear sight block. The factory barrels aren't chrome lined so reaming is easy. The 308 Galil bolt is standard length. The 308 Yugo M77 moves the barrel forward and uses a longer bolt but the Galil moves the magazine back and uses a standard length bolt. I wouldn't use an AKM trunnion for 308.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

You can also consider converting a Saiga .308 into a
    FPK style build. No bulged trunnion on this one.

With 20 rd Surefire mag and no bipod

Charter member-Busted Box Club est. 2006

"I will adhere to the Patriot Act, the one signed in 1776"
    - Marc Anderson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

$1900 for that Yugo .308 seems a bit much unless you're collecting and want to add that to the collection. Funny that the bids got up to 1700 and didn't meet reserve... why have a reserve to begin with if you're going to do that... just dumb.

Yet again I have to agree on the Saiga .308 conversion. I saw a long-barreled one at the range and it looked quite promising. My .308 conversion was fun but it is a TON of work and you simply can't do as good as getting a Saiga .308, now that mags are abundantly available.

In truth I've thought about rebarreling my .308 build to something else and buying a Saiga .308 just so I won't have to start from scratch for another caliber conversion

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

In truth I've thought about rebarreling my .308 build to something else and buying a Saiga .308 just so I won't have to start from scratch for another caliber conversion
    243 would be fun and kick less and super super flat shooting with the light 55 grain bullets. barrels are dirt cheap for take offs.

Im rebarreling my 308 saiga to a 260 or a 6mm-284. it will be a 6mm-284 if I can get the mags to work and the round clears the lugs ok.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'm trying to think what else I would want to put into it as I don't want to have a new caliber "just because". 6.5 Grendel perhaps but lately not so much so as I only have a 100 yard range to shoot at. Maybe a .44?? build

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.