Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: .308 psl/fpk

Feedback Score

Default .308 psl/fpk

Wouldn't it be cool to build a psl/fpk in .308 caliber?
    I was thinking use a custom receiver flat the same dimensions as a psl but not bulged for the front trunnion as to accept a standard akm trunion. it would be a blend of ak and psl parts.

custom parts: reciever, barrel.

akm parts: front trunion, bolt ''elongated and opened up to .308.'', pistol grip, fcg, stock, foregrip, rear sight block, handguard retainer, gas block, front sight block.

psl parts: bolt carrier, rear trunion, gas tube, gas piston.

Feedback Score

They did make a 308 psl, though it is pretty hard to come buy and mags are rather rare also. Dragunov dot net - Romanian Sniper Rifle Range Reports - SSG-97 in .308
    There is the yugos in 308. one is the newer m77. ZASTAVA ARMS Kragujevac | Assault Rifle M77B1
    Rare Mitchell Arms AK-47 308 Nato Yugo Preban : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

The psl rear trunnion is thinner than the standard akm trunnion to fit in the thicker receiver, though it isn't that much different than the akm trunnion. Good pic in this thread. The AK Files Forums - Need pics of PSL rear trunnion

Could do a lengthened bolt carrier like pookie did in his 6.5 Swede psl. http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/6.5x55/6_5x55.htm

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

If you get one of the psl kits on the market I would be willing to buy the 7.62x54r psl bolt from you. I have a psl bolt carrier myself I was going to use for an 8mm project but now that I have an m76 I was thinking of doing a 54r build

Feedback Score

The 308 PSL that was imported has plastic magazines that don't work properly and the magazines break, which is a separate issue from them not working properly. Galil magazines can be modified to work, which is about the only solution to them.

To make a 308 PSL you need a receiver with a 308 ejector. You could make a receiver using a Cold Steel Solutions receiver blank and make your own lower rails from 16 square stock 4130 steel. The 8mm Yugo M76 bolt is a perfect fit for the PSL. The 308 Yugo M77 is a standard length AK and takes a special bolt similar to the 308 Valmet bolt. For a 308 PSL, use the 8mm M76 bolt. The barrel would be a custom job but could be done.

Feedback Score

could a regular bulged yugo trunion be used with the coldsteel blank and a 8mm bolt?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by akfiend View Post
    could a regular bulged yugo trunion be used with the coldsteel blank and a 8mm bolt?
    There may or may not be issues with the bullet guide. I think the inside width of the trunnion, between locking recesses, needs to be opened up to allow feeding the 308 cartridge. Also I'm not sure the rest of the PSL parts will mate with the Yugo trunnion. The Yugo trunnion is long on top and the PSL trunnion more like a Romanian RPK trunnion. You'll need the rest of the PSL parts anyway so might as well use a PSL trunnion.

The other 308 AK is to use a Yugo M70 and a Galil bolt. Ream the barrel for 308 and move the trigger guard back one rivet hole and notch the hammer to clear the magazine.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Check out the Saiga .308 caliber AK. It can be modified to accept M-14 magazines.

Also consider modifying a bulged Yugo front trunnion to accept the M-14 magazines. It isn't that hard to do. I have done so, and I am looking forward to building a .308 using Yugo M70 parts as well. I have a CSS M70 blank in the process already. I just need the energy to finish the project. I am already calling it my "Bear Gun".

BTW, such a modification will allow you to use a standard length bolt like the Saiga does.
    Last edited by Shadow Walker; 06-27-2010 at 05:24 PM.

Feedback Score

by the time i rent a chamber reamer i could have probly bought a barrel, what barrel would be good? i know apex gun parts has FAL barrels for 60$ but the location of the gas port could be an issue.

Feedback Score

also the psl trunnion is designed for a rimmed cartridge so if i used it would it cause any complications?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.