Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: .357 Maximum Rimless

Feedback Score

could sombody explane how to cut a chamber? I can get a reamer anney size that is needed (.xxx") but Im not sure hoe to cut the lead ( free bore ) and check head spacing using the case mouth. muttman

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    the only load in my win book on my desk shows a 35 rem loaded with a 200 gr sp using 39 Grs of 748 making 2130 at only 33,000 CUP that is really light IMOO. but its slinging a 200 grain bullet almost as fast a 125 gr 7.62x39 load.
    That's what grabbed my attention when I first saw it. The .35 Remington is one of those cartridges which seems to get a lot of oomph for not much pressure.

I'd never even heard of the .35 Remington until I found out both Molot and Izhmash made civilian-market AKs chambered in it. Some Russkies spent some time in the loading manuals...

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by muttman View Post
    but Im not sure hoe to cut the lead ( free bore ) and check head spacing using the case mouth.
    That's probably worth a dedicated thread over in the reloading section. Start one and I'll contribute what I know so far.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the reamer cuts the bullet free bore and every thing else generaly at one time. you can buy reamers that dont cut the neck an throat and then use seperate reamers to fit the chamber to certain ammo. how ever it generaly a matter of turnng a barrel really slow with lots of lube and feeding a reamer in.

head space is set by reaming in the correct amount untill the bolt closes properly.

many times a barrel is only partialy reamed ( short chamberd ) and then the barrel is installed in the action and then the reamer is spun by hand ( hand reamed) untill the bolt able to just close on a go guage. This is a very simplified explination.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

That's what grabbed my attention when I first saw it. The .35 Remington is one of those cartridges which seems to get a lot of oomph for not much pressure.

I'd never even heard of the .35 Remington until I found out both Molot and Izhmash made civilian-market AKs chambered in it. Some Russkies spent some time in the loading manuals...
    I suspect it was more due to that fact that many countries dont allow fire arms in a military calibu than what the load books show. Is the 35 remington you saw built on a 3 lug trunion or a two? with there ability to make the 308 saiga and the standard AK for almost the cost to build I doubt that the pressure was a concern.

I dont dislike the 35 rem I just think the 358 is a better more modern less expensive to reload round that will also greatly out perform the 35 rem if loaded to higher pressures in a stonger action. If I had a 35 remington reamer id likely build one. I have a 358 reamer and I hand load so ill just do a 358 and load it to around 44,000 PSI or so.

loaded to the same pressures and bullets I doubt there is much of a real world differance in the two especialy at lower pressures with the lighter side of the bullets. I like to be able to use 7.62x51 brass in a lot of my stuff when possable and it can be used for both but the 358 is a one pass froming if done with a tapered expander ( so I have been told). Im all for a 35 rem and if i had brass or another gun or a reamer Id build one in a heart beat. Im thinking a .358 14" pistol would be a good short range deer killer and might be this years hunting gun.

Feedback Score

bg,
    I hear ya on the the .358, but I have a bud that has a ,35 rem. so this might be a better way for me to go at this point. he will/said he would be bringing me a empty case to eye ball. the good news for me is he does not reload so I think I might have a small supply of brass to work from. muttman

change II,
    after looking over 35 rem brass cost it would be mo better money spent and a ready supply of .308 brass to form .358 brass with.
    Last edited by muttman; 08-10-2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: added too

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

YEA IF IT CAN BE MADE FROM SURPLUSS 7.62 NATO BRASS ITS HARD NOT TO CONSIDER IT IN A AUTO LOADER WERE DUMPING A 30 ROUND MAG IS NORMAL.

THE REMINGTON CAN BE MADE FROM 308 BRASS BUT ITS MUCH MORE WORK.

UNLESS YOUR RICH HANDLOADING IS A MUST FOR MOST OF THE HIGH POWER CONVERSION EXCEPT POSSABLY A 308, 8MM, X54R,. i CANT EVEN AFFORD TO SHOOT THE CHEAPEST 243 ANY MORE FOR FUN.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.