Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Looking to do an AK build in 9mm

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    First check out the link that TRX posted and the links in it, then if you deside you still want to do it, go from there.
    As for barrel, get a blank, get a Suomi barrel or look for a 16" UZI barrel. The Suomi barrel is like 14" so you only need a short extension for these.
    Mag well? There use to be a guy that made them out of sheet metal, but I heard he stopped doing them.
    I don't know, here's the link, check it out and get in touch with him and see if they're still available.
    Lichtenberg Research and Design - The 2XTM

I was looking at some of the links he posted, there's one from pirate 4x4 which really interests me, he was the one with the nonreciprocating charging handle in the gas tube. I am going to try and do just as that guy did with a few exceptions, bring the barrel further into the receiver (he cut a few inches off the front of the receiver.) also use a dog-leg rear sight with rail possibly.

I need to see now if the AK gas block, front sight and rear sight block will fit onto a Suomi barrel.

Next step I think is to get a Suomi barrel, a suomi magwell and a .223 complete bolt.

Still have to figure out what exactly needs to be done to the Suomi barrel to get it to go into the AK trunnion and get it to seat properly.

Thanks for the link but he did stop making them kinda sucks too now I'm going to have to buy a Suomi parts kit to get teh magwell. I posted on here and on PAFOA for anyone that has a Suomi magwell they'd like to sell....hopefully I get one but other than that I'll have to get a parts kit.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

for a blowback 9mm i would lean more towards tweaking the existing 7.62 bolt to work. like welding a ring in the bolt face then grinding or milling the ring where the lower rails and ejector go on the bolt. with a .223 bolt, the bolt stem is going to be smaller diameter than a 7.62 stem and the part of the 7.62 carrier that the bolt stem goes through. i doubt using a suomi barrel would be as simple as pressing it into the trunnion and installing the barrel parts, you should probably plan on buying your buddy's dad his favorite case of beer and have him help you re-profile the suomi barrels outer dimensions on his lathe.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Before you start buying parts, you need to understand the various kits you are looking at. The Suomi M31 bbl is a large diameter bbl, nothing from the AK will fit over it as is, you have to profile it in a lathe to match an AKM bbl diameter in the various spots things pin on. The M31 also doesn't have a magwell like you are envisioning, it's more of a giant notch in the receiver with a plate front and rear to accept the drum magazine. The kits are usually cut through the magwell and one or both of the plates are not useable. Other than the bbl, which must be considered a blank in this case, no parts would be very useful for an AKM build. The KP44 bbl is completely different and much smaller in diameter, it would need a sleeve over it to work and is very short. The "magwell" on this consists of a plate at the front of the lower receiver, a huge gap where the drum fits, and the sides of the bent receiver at the front of the gap. Inside this is a bent sheetmetal feed ramp that also supports the mag. The magwell on either Suomi is not something that can be cut out and attached to another receiver.

The .223 has the same case head as the .380, which is smaller than 9mm. Unless your particular .223 bolt is a little big, it will not work without opening it up. The 7.62 bolt is too large but some people weld or braze in a ring to make it smaller. The 5.45 AK74 bolt, OTOH, is the correct size for the 9mm case head as is. Small stem though, so you also need an AK74 carrier or sleeve the AK47 sized one.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    Before you start buying parts, you need to understand the various kits you are looking at. The Suomi M31 bbl is a large diameter bbl, nothing from the AK will fit over it as is, you have to profile it in a lathe to match an AKM bbl diameter in the various spots things pin on. The M31 also doesn't have a magwell like you are envisioning, it's more of a giant notch in the receiver with a plate front and rear to accept the drum magazine. The kits are usually cut through the magwell and one or both of the plates are not useable. Other than the bbl, which must be considered a blank in this case, no parts would be very useful for an AKM build. The KP44 bbl is completely different and much smaller in diameter, it would need a sleeve over it to work and is very short. The "magwell" on this consists of a plate at the front of the lower receiver, a huge gap where the drum fits, and the sides of the bent receiver at the front of the gap. Inside this is a bent sheetmetal feed ramp that also supports the mag. The magwell on either Suomi is not something that can be cut out and attached to another receiver.

The .223 has the same case head as the .380, which is smaller than 9mm. Unless your particular .223 bolt is a little big, it will not work without opening it up. The 7.62 bolt is too large but some people weld or braze in a ring to make it smaller. The 5.45 AK74 bolt, OTOH, is the correct size for the 9mm case head as is. Small stem though, so you also need an AK74 carrier or sleeve the AK47 sized one.

Ok well the lathe is out of the question....buddies dad is away for at least a month...more like 3 months though. So I will have to use either a bench grinder with abrasive wheel or a dremel to make the Suomi barrel smaller in those areas. That shouldn't be too bad though with a bench grinder.

So the Suomi magwell even if fully intact is a no go to use then ?? I don't know if it matters but I would prefer to use the magazines instead of the drum...if I had to choose between the 2, they fit the same magwell though correct, the drum and mag ?

Can you offer any advice as to what to do about the magwell ? Should I just use a diffrent magwell altogather ?

Thanks for the help thus far everyone.

Feedback Score

This is the Suomi M31 kit I was going to buy, has magwell and barrel

Do you think it's possible to salvage that magwell ??

Only other problem is the kit cost's $120 as opposed to the KP44 kit for $75 but the KP44 kit's magwell is cut right thru...

edit: How about using a PPSH-43 magwell ??? Found a cheap parts kit for sale. PPSH-43 is 7.62x25 Takerov ammo isn't it....damn.
    Can tehy be converted to 9mm by any chance ?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Before you start buying parts, you need to understand the various kits you are looking at.

what he said.

Id also recomend doing a 7.62x25 the boltmods are the same aas is most of the build for a blow back it can also be done as a gas operated build.

If you do decide to go with a x25 i can help with the barrel I have I have the reamer and the lathe. I have done a bunch.

Id really study what you want to do before buying any thing. the rommy kit is a good start however it never hurts to have a extra kit. there is considrably more work and slill needed to do a 9mm or any calibur conversion. there is however pre made blow back bolts as well a mag wells for the conversion and the bolts might be the ticket for some one who dont have a lot of fancy equipment.

Id really consider the x25 as it way cheaper to shoot than 9mm.

Im looking at getting a 9mm reamer in the future and may be doing a few ak barrels. to pay for the reamer.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the mag wells can be salvaged but its a bit of work and buying those kits just for the barrel and magwell is a bit of a waste. a the x25 is considerably longer so the mags are not a great choice for 9mm luger.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Yeah you need to go through those threads and spend a couple days reading them.

A Suomi mag well can be used if it isn't cut up to bad, but it's a lot of work to get it to fit the AK receiver. A guy that goes by doubletapme (spelling?) was the first to do it, I'm sure his thread is in there somewhere, that's how the name 2XTM came to be for that Litchenburg setup.

Unless you get a barrel blank most of the subgun barrels will need to be sleeved to fit the AK trunnion. And either turned down or the AK stuff that goes on the barrel opened up or both to get them to fit.

The 5.45 bolt is the right size, but costly, the 762 bolt can be made to work.
    Also most pistol caliber AKs are blow back, some have been made with a gas operated system but then the piston is usually shorten and the carrier lighten.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

AKParts.com

Suomi cut receiver.

BTW: No f-ing way your going to turn a barrel with a grinder or dremil'
    These builds take skilled machine work & " bet your life on it" quality welding .
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

If all you want is stick mags, about the cheapest/easiest 9mm magwell to use is the UZI. $20 @ Centerfire for a stripped lower with mag catch. Can be used bare or buy/whittle a set of grips to make it look better. You will still have to cut to fit and weld in, possibly fabricate a feed ramp as well.

IMI Uzi Grip (Stripped) Part #UZI-GRIP STRIPPED

Mags can be found used in the $12 range to new @ $20.

As far as lathe work goes, several people here do lathe work on bbls, it will cost some bucks but look and function a lot better than hand grinding.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.