Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Looking to do an AK build in 9mm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

If all you want is stick mags, about the cheapest/easiest 9mm magwell to use is the UZI. $20 @ Centerfire for a stripped lower with mag catch. Can be used bare or buy/whittle a set of grips to make it look better. You will still have to cut to fit and weld in, possibly fabricate a feed ramp as well.

IMI Uzi Grip (Stripped) Part #UZI-GRIP STRIPPED

Mags can be found used in the $12 range to new @ $20.

As far as lathe work goes, several people here do lathe work on bbls, it will cost some bucks but look and function a lot better than hand grinding.
    thats a really good idea and one I had not thought of. Yea you really dont want to go grinding on a barrel and all that crap it would look like Sh!T.

If your going to do it do it right. read all the threads here in the last 5 years and then you will have a lot of knowledge. if you dont understand some thing then ask away there are no dumb questions when it comes to guns and safety. no one here will slam you for not knowing smething. they will slam you for wanting to do it half assed or un safe or ugly.

If an when you get ready for a barrel I and others can help for a resonable fee sometimes free if its some thing simple.

Feedback Score

Thanks everyone so far for the input, didn't get a chance to come on earlier took the kids to the park, I'm gonna go do some more research on both 9mm and 7.62x25, the ways they were done and what work was intailed, ect...

If there's 1 thing I want to do it's do it right ya know, no half arse crap spitting bullets were someone could get hurt, I appreciate everyone's advice.

The one thing I can do is weld, working as a plumber I've been doing welding classes for a little over 5 years, mostly stick welding but also mig, I'm not a pro but I can weld decently. As far as lathe work as biggun1 said if someone on here is farmiliar and equipped to do it that would be great, once I am totally prepared and have everything and know exactly what to do.

The reason I wanted to go with 9mm is because that's what the Russians used IIRC, but I'm thinking maybe do one in 7.62x25 and 9mm. 9mm is my top choice but I'm gonna do some more reading before I do anything else.

I have someone who is willing to sell me a Litchenberg Research Suomi magwell so I'm going to buy it now and also on there website they have a bushing for the 47 bolt that I'm gonna pick up.

For now I'm just trying to get all the parts while researching and learning what's needed, so at least if I know I have all the parts needed for the build while I'm researching it I know I'll be able to do it right ? Also Litchenberg is done making them, if I can grab one now I figured I better grab it...I may not get another chance.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Id get the mag well. you can always sell it. In reality the barrel is really the easy part.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    Id get the mag well. you can always sell it. In reality the barrel is really the easy part.

Yea I am definitly going to get the magwell, I like the AK's done with Suomi drums and mags used so that would be great if I can do it that way.

I am researching this non-reciprocating charging handle, I like that a lot, but so far that looks like what I'll need along with some steel tube.

Mainly I'm just trying to study exactly how they do each part of the build, using my AK as refrence to the pictures they show with what they did.

Another thing is with the Suomi barrel as some of you guys said, they had to extend the barrel to get 16", it looks like some used muzzle devices, does it matter what kind of muzzle break is used ?? For example an AK break can be made to work, or an AR break ??

It seems when the lathe work is done the muzzle break becomes part of the barrel somehow...??? Is it welded then smoothed out to close to the barrel dimensions ?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Almost anything will work as long as it is bored out larger than 9mm and is long enough. You permanently attach the muzzle extension, either by blind pinning it on then welding over the pin, or by welding the piece directly to the bbl. Once it is attached that way, it counts as part of the bbl for measurement purposes. BTW, ATF measures the bbl by dropping a rod down the bore against the closed boltface and marks it at the muzzle, then measures the rod to the mark.

While the Russkies do make some guns in 9mm Luger/parabellum/NATO, most of the "9mm" ammo the Russian guns are chambered for is their 9mm Makarov round, shorter than the 9mm Luger. Most of their subguns since before WWII have been in 7.62X25. Only recently have they started using the 9mm Luger as an issued round.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    Almost anything will work as long as it is bored out larger than 9mm and is long enough. You permanently attach the muzzle extension, either by blind pinning it on then welding over the pin, or by welding the piece directly to the bbl. Once it is attached that way, it counts as part of the bbl for measurement purposes. BTW, ATF measures the bbl by dropping a rod down the bore against the closed boltface and marks it at the muzzle, then measures the rod to the mark.

While the Russkies do make some guns in 9mm Luger/parabellum/NATO, most of the "9mm" ammo the Russian guns are chambered for is their 9mm Makarov round, shorter than the 9mm Luger. Most of their subguns since before WWII have been in 7.62X25. Only recently have they started using the 9mm Luger as an issued round.

I would like to weld the muzzle break onto the barrel and use a scotch brite wheel to blend the weld with the barrel and make it look like one piece, at least that's how I picture it in my head LOL. Before I weld the break on I have to put the rear sight block and gb/fs combo on correct, or can I put the rear sight block on from the chamber side ??

Also I would like to use a gas block/front sight combo, as of right now it looks like I'll be using the Galil style one....I'd prefer the Krink gb/fs but can't find any to buy. Plus doing away with a seperate front sight will be 1 less thing I have to fit onto the barrel lol.

As for a rear sight I was thinking of going with a Dog-leg rear sight/rail combo, this way I can do without the side rail mount and also I wanted to use a Tantal safety for the left side switch they have.

Can I use a basic G2 FCG with the soumi magwell conversion ? This is the one part I'm not sure about yet, I understand how the barrel is installed with the sleeve welded to the barrel then pressed in, and how all the parts go onto the barrel. Now the FCG is installed like on a normal AK correct, I'm not sure of the modifications, if any are needed ?

Then if I understand it correctly you cut the receiver so the magwell will drop into it and weld the magwell all the way around right ? Also a bullet guide is needed. Then the bolt is welded to the carrier in the back locked position correct ?

edit: this is what I have gotten from reading the links from TRX and from everyone here that's helped me so far (i hope it seems like I'm getting this lol, I think I have a basic undertanding of what is needed) once I get the actual Suomi magwell and barrel and the AK receiver and parts kit I think it will help since I will actually be able to have it in my hands and see exactly how things go together, for now the pics of previous builds helps a lot and you guys explainging it is a big help too.

I should be getting everything this week as far as the parts kit, magwell, barrel and I am ordering 3 80% receivers from IIRC WACO, the ones posted in the classifieds ?

Feedback Score

BTW, ATF measures the bbl by dropping a rod down the bore against the closed boltface and marks it at the muzzle, then measures the rod to the mark.

Really, I never knew that, so if they go from the face of the closed bolt that actually gives you more length then the actual barrel is correct ?? In other words I could actually have the barrel itself w/break welded at like 15 1/4" and measuring from the closed bolt is would still be 16" right ? There not exact numbers just as an example to make sure I understand what your saying correctly is all.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

does this person have anymore of these Litchenberg Research Suomi magwells? Send me a pm with the info if you think they do.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

KISS keep it simple stupid is the best way to build these. you sart adding dodads like a non recipikating charge handel and other stuff and its going to be a pain for a first time builder. your going to have a hard enough time getting it to cycle an feed as it is. Im not trying to dampen your enthusiam but on a first build its best to go as simple as possable and learn from it.

I would not use a sunomi barrel Id get a cheap blank and have it turned to fit your parts. not welding on barrel extentions and bushings and still having to have it turned to fit the RSB, GB, Hand guard retainer etc. it will be a much nicer gun with a barrel made to fit it. check Gun broker and numrich for barrel blanks and take offs. also GM has inepensive barrel blanks. a chamber reamer can be rented BTW

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    KISS keep it simple stupid is the best way to build these. you sart adding dodads like a non recipikating charge handel and other stuff and its going to be a pain for a first time builder. your going to have a hard enough time getting it to cycle an feed as it is. Im not trying to dampen your enthusiam but on a first build its best to go as simple as possable and learn from it.

I would not use a sunomi barrel Id get a cheap blank and have it turned to fit your parts. not welding on barrel extentions and bushings and still having to have it turned to fit the RSB, GB, Hand guard retainer etc. it will be a much nicer gun with a barrel made to fit it. check Gun broker and numrich for barrel blanks and take offs. also GM has inepensive barrel blanks. a chamber reamer can be rented BTW
    Yea I understand, your right.

If I went with a barrel black right, since I don't have a lathe or enough experience with them to use one what do you think my best bet is ? To get the barrel, gas block, rear sight block, handguard retainer and muzzle break and send them out to someone with a lathe and have them turn the barrel down for all the parts and to fit the front trunnion too ??

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.