Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Looking to do an AK build in 9mm

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The AK bbl is larger at the rear and steps down to smaller diameters as it goes forward, so all the bases have to be pressed on from the front. Yes, the small depression in the boltface is part of the bbl length measurement, but it will likely be little more than 1/8".

The FCG is not modified, just standard AK.

Yes, you cut out for the magwell and weld in.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

If I went with a barrel black right, since I don't have a lathe or enough experience with them to use one what do you think my best bet is ? To get the barrel, gas block, rear sight block, handguard retainer and muzzle break and send them out to someone with a lathe and have them turn the barrel down for all the parts and to fit the front trunnion too ??
    Yeap buy the time you buy a sunomi barrel that is the right size then buy a sleave that fits it and then find a way to get it attached ( I dont recomend welding on barrels) then buy some dodad to make it longer and legal and still have to turn it down to fit all the other stuff you can likely for a few more bucks get a barrel made and be able to add muzzel attachemnts to it as it will be long enough to start. Now if you had a all the stuff to do it including the barrel then it migt be differant. Sunomi kits used to be $25 and that is why so manmy guys bought them for parts. i have a few still my self. the other way to go is build this as a pistol and then you dont need it to be 16".

Honestly you might want to consider building your kit as a traditional 7.62x39 to get the feel of what is involved in all of this. doing a 9mm blow back as a first build is going to be tough with no machinery. Im not saying you cant do it but your looking at a lot of obsticals. have you seen the bolt /carrier assemblys already made for blow backs?? it might be worth it for you. they replace the original bolt and carrier.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    Yeap buy the time you buy a sunomi barrel that is the right size then buy a sleave that fits it and then find a way to get it attached ( I dont recomend welding on barrels) then buy some dodad to make it longer and legal and still have to turn it down to fit all the other stuff you can likely for a few more bucks get a barrel made and be able to add muzzel attachemnts to it as it will be long enough to start. Now if you had a all the stuff to do it including the barrel then it migt be differant. Sunomi kits used to be $25 and that is why so manmy guys bought them for parts. i have a few still my self. the other way to go is build this as a pistol and then you dont need it to be 16".

Honestly you might want to consider building your kit as a traditional 7.62x39 to get the feel of what is involved in all of this. doing a 9mm blow back as a first build is going to be tough with no machinery. Im not saying you cant do it but your looking at a lot of obsticals. have you seen the bolt /carrier assemblys already made for blow backs?? it might be worth it for you. they replace the original bolt and carrier.

No someone mentioned the bolt/carrier assemblies already made for blowbacks but I have not found them, do you know who makes them ??

What if I have someone make me a barrel and do all the turning down and threading the front, pretty much make it an AK barrel just in 9mm instead of 7.62x39 ??

Like if I asked you to make me an AK barrel for 9mm, all turned down, threaded and ready to be installed, would that get expensive, how much would that cost ? It seems if I want to do a 9mm AK then I am going to need someone to make me a barrel like you said, I just don't have the tools to do it.

Once I have the barrel and if I can buy a bolt/carrier already assembled for a blowback then what I will have to do is weld the magwell, insert the barrel and the FCG and some minor adjustments of course.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Saigaist View Post
    No someone mentioned the bolt/carrier assemblies already made for blowbacks but I have not found them, do you know who makes them ??

What if I have someone make me a barrel and do all the turning down and threading the front, pretty much make it an AK barrel just in 9mm instead of 7.62x39 ??

Like if I asked you to make me an AK barrel for 9mm, all turned down, threaded and ready to be installed, would that get expensive, how much would that cost ? It seems if I want to do a 9mm AK then I am going to need someone to make me a barrel like you said, I just don't have the tools to do it.

Once I have the barrel and if I can buy a bolt/carrier already assembled for a blowback then what I will have to do is weld the magwell, insert the barrel and the FCG and some minor adjustments of course.
    [url]www.erieordancedepot.com
    Last edited by droog; 07-19-2010 at 05:10 PM. Reason: misspelling

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Didn't someone recently put up a post about slow service from EOD and they canceled the order?
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

no idea

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yes I thought that was Pantera but I could be wrong.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I looked for it real quick but didn't see it, I thought I was losing it for a moment but HCP reassured me of the little sanity I have left.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Thanks for the link droog, for $210 I may try and make it myself first though.

Also does anyone know if the lower handguard in this picture is available to buy ANYWHERE ?? Or what's it's called exactly...is it a thumbhole lower handguard ?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.