Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Looking to do an AK build in 9mm

Feedback Score

Default Looking to do an AK build in 9mm

I have been doing a lot of researching and thinking about this Romy G kit I just purchased yesterday. So far I have an AK47 modified to my own liking and a Saiga I am finishing up with. Also have a Polish Tantal which I only need a dog-leg rear sight for and then that's done, ohh and maybe an extended mag release, minor stuff though.

Now I have this nice Romy G kit that I'm getting next week....so what to do with it ???

I have been REALLY wanting to do an AK in 9mm so I think it's time !!

I know there's probably already a ton of threads about this so I was wondering if someone could point me in there direction.

A few questions as well, don't know if anyone knows answer's to them but Gunco seems like the best site for BIY stuff.

Where can I get a 9mm barrel and does anyone make one ready to be used on an AK ?

Should I make it a pistol or rifle ?? (was thinking SBR but right now the extra $200 is a no go...maybe down the line though)

Does anyone make an AK receiver for this kind of build, or even a mag well for smaller calibers ??

edit: Nodak currently has some receivers a customer didn't fully pay for and they say that the magwell's are smaller in width, normal length though, they say these would be good with a pistol caliber conversion and they are cheap also....anyone know if this is true ??

Any help is much appreciated, as always.

Saigaist

Feedback Score

TRX had a post with links to all the Treads about it here. Try to search for it. It may help.
    The offer from NodakSpud looks very good.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Try here:

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f244/cal...ce-page-51901/

If you have a lathe, you might look at one of those Green Mountain blanks for $30 and do a build in 7.62x25 Tokarev, which is cheaper than 9mm...

72-round PPSh drums are available for under $30. or you can use the stick mags.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    Try here:

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f244/cal...ce-page-51901/

If you have a lathe, you might look at one of those Green Mountain blanks for $30 and do a build in 7.62x25 Tokarev, which is cheaper than 9mm...

72-round PPSh drums are available for under $30. or you can use the stick mags.

I do not have a lathe...what would need to be done to them ??

A very good friend of mine, his dad has a huge lathe in his workshop, I could ask him to help me, he's a great guy, old Vet, does anything for a case of beer and some b/sing kind of guy ya know.

Only thing is he doesn't like AK's.....something to do with being shot at by them lol so if it's not too complicated I might be able to give it a try with his help....just looking at a lathe gives me a dizzy/headache honestly though LOL I am not farmiliar with them at all

Doing one in the Takerov caliber doesn't sound to bad either, using drums and long sticks on an AK like this is definitly a HUGE plus lol

Feedback Score

Can anyone help me with what barrel I should get ?? Also what 9mm magwell to use with an AK 9mm build and how to install it ?

I am trying to get a list of all the parts needed to do a 9mm AK build, so far this is what I have;

Ak receiver, which I can get from Nodak for about $50, or the ones posted in the Classifieds for $40.
    front and rear trunnion
    gas block- was thinking of using a gas block/front sight combo ???
    rear sight block
    gas tube
    bolt
    bolt carrier
    piston
    safety selector
    G2 FCG
    magwell
    barrel
    ak furniture
    rivet set

would that be everything ? Also I will have everything except the barrel, magwell, FCG and rivet set....and if i use the gb/fs cmobo i will have to get that. The rivet set, FCG and gb/fs will be no problem getting. It's the barrel and magwell that I'm thinking are gonna be tuff.

Any advice on where to get the barrel and magwell would be great

Feedback Score

In 9mm it will be a blowback so you may consider to replace the piston with a rod just to add weight. The bolt you either gonna make yourself or mod to accept 9mm, and weld it to the carrier. Oth 223 bolt will accept 9mm because they have the same diameter at the casebottom.
    I saw something somewhere about a firm making a bolt and carrier assembly for a Krink in 7,62x25 that will easily been fitted to your needs
    About the magwell there is a lot of options but they all need some fabrication. Sten type with stickmags, A Swedish Kpist 44 type magwell would accept both sticks and drums (same as on Suomi)
    Barrel could bee either K44 or Suomi since they are thick enough so you don't have to sleeve them.

Feedback Score

This could maybe give you some ideas; http://www.gunco.net/forums/f50/9mm-ak-32006/

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Sid_Vicious View Post
    In 9mm it will be a blowback so you may consider to replace the piston with a rod just to add weight. The bolt you either gonna make yourself or mod to accept 9mm, and weld it to the carrier. Oth 223 bolt will accept 9mm because they have the same diameter at the casebottom.
    I saw something somewhere about a firm making a bolt and carrier assembly for a Krink in 7,62x25 that will easily been fitted to your needs
    About the magwell there is a lot of options but they all need some fabrication. Sten type with stickmags, A Swedish Kpist 44 type magwell would accept both sticks and drums (same as on Suomi)
    Barrel could bee either K44 or Suomi since they are thick enough so you don't have to sleeve them.

Ohh ok so I wouldn't have to sleeve the KP44 or Suomi barrels, that's good. I see Licthenberg Research is out of buisness or stopped selling the magwell's.....that sucks. CenterFireSystems has a KP44 parts kit for sale but no mag well...odd. They also have a Suomi M31 kit for sale with magwell for $120...guess that's what I'll have to get.

Also I was checking out the list TRX made , of all the calibers people have done with the AK, the one in pirate 4x4 a guy did a 9mm AK, he made an awesome charging handle....he used the basic AK bolt carrier and piston but he cut half of the piston off, cut the head off the piece and rewelded it to the left over piston in the carrier and welded a smaller piece onto the head.

Then he took a piece of steel tubing, welded a charging handle on it and put it into the gas tube, cut the gas tube so he could pull it back and put a notch at the end to use as a bolt hold open. I think I am going to go with this idea except use a FAL style folding charging handle.

Feedback Score

Also, will a basic AK gas block, front sight and rear sight block fit on the Suomi barrel ??

So I can just press the Suomi barrel into the basic AK front trunnion ? From my understanding of what I have read so far the Suomi barrel has to be pushed further into the trunnion for the bullet to come out of the magazine and seat properly ?? Is that correct ?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

First check out the link that TRX posted and the links in it, then if you deside you still want to do it, go from there.
    As for barrel, get a blank, get a Suomi barrel or look for a 16" UZI barrel. The Suomi barrel is like 14" so you only need a short extension for these.
    Mag well? There use to be a guy that made them out of sheet metal, but I heard he stopped doing them.
    I don't know, here's the link, check it out and get in touch with him and see if they're still available.
    Lichtenberg Research and Design - The 2XTM
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.