Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: galil 5.56 mags on an AK (non saiga)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post

Have any of you guys tried to mod the Tapco Galil mags for your 5.56 AK's?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny 5.56 View Post
    Have any of you guys tried to mod the Tapco Galil mags for your 5.56 AK's?
    There are US-made 5.56 AK mags available. The Galil mags are wider and may only fit Galil's, Polytechs, Valmet and MAYBE Yugoslavian but there are some differences. The Romanian, Bulgarian and Norinco AK's usually have magwells too narrow for Galil magazines. The Yugo mags seem longer front to back. The other mags are narrower. If your rifle will take 7.62x39 magazines then maybe the Galil mags will work. The 223 Saiga has a 7.62x39 magwell. There are a few Polish 5.56 magazines around too but I don't know what they fit.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

a galil mag locks into my varmint 223 build but its a little tight length wise perfect IMOO . that reciver is based on a tapco flat with the mag well lengthend slightly. it was fitted to take bulgy 223 mags. I havent function tested it yet, but it looks like it should work I may get a few more.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

i think they'll work as is in a chinese 223

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by allesennogwat View Post
    There are US-made 5.56 AK mags available. The Galil mags are wider and may only fit Galil's, Polytechs, Valmet and MAYBE Yugoslavian but there are some differences. The Romanian, Bulgarian and Norinco AK's usually have magwells too narrow for Galil magazines. The Yugo mags seem longer front to back. The other mags are narrower. If your rifle will take 7.62x39 magazines then maybe the Galil mags will work. The 223 Saiga has a 7.62x39 magwell. There are a few Polish 5.56 magazines around too but I don't know what they fit.

Ok, just tried it and my SAR 3 won't take 7.62x39 mags. They're too long. The good news is that it takes and works with AK 74 mags! Those are only $10 each on some sites!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    a galil mag locks into my varmint 223 build but its a little tight length wise perfect IMOO . that reciver is based on a tapco flat with the mag well lengthend slightly. it was fitted to take bulgy 223 mags. I havent function tested it yet, but it looks like it should work I may get a few more.
    I'd love to know how they work and how many rounds each mag can hold and successfully feed.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I'd love to know how they work and how many rounds each mag can hold and successfully feed.
    my gun is completly custom and if they worked in mine it would have no bearing on any other AK in the world. the mag I used was a 10 or 11 rounder not that it really matters. generaly a 30 round mag holds 30 rounds thus its name.

The good news is that it takes and works with AK 74 mags! Those are only $10 each on some sites!
    your 5.56/223 needs to have mags made for it not 5.45x39. some guys claim to be able to change the followers in them and make them work some say they dont.

Are you having trouple finding the correct 223 mag for your gun or something??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    my gun is completly custom and if they worked in mine it would have no bearing on any other AK in the world. the mag I used was a 10 or 11 rounder not that it really matters. generaly a 30 round mag holds 30 rounds thus its name.

your 5.56/223 needs to have mags made for it not 5.45x39. some guys claim to be able to change the followers in them and make them work some say they dont.

Are you having trouple finding the correct 223 mag for your gun or something??

I asked about the round count in the mag, as I have a CAI mag that came with my 5.56 AK and is labeled .223, but if you load more than 20 rounds, it doesn't feed well at all.

The funny thing is that I used regular 5.45x39 Bulgarian mags with 20 rounds each and they feed without any issues. I didn't have to add 5.56 followers or do any kind of mods to them.

The mags intended for the SAR 3 are the steel Romanian or East German Weigers. They work really well. The problem is that both of these mags are really hard to find and pricey.

I moded some Bulgy 5.56 "Circle 10" mags and they're great. I have several, but they sure aren't inexpensive.

It's kind of fun trying to get non proprietary 5.56 mags to work in my SAR 3. Saving money is cool too.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I ran my galil 10 0r 11 round nag in my varmint build and it ran flawlesly. The mag well is set up to run bulgy 223 mags. every thing is pretty custom on the gun so your milage may vary.

I will definatly be getting some more of these for my future build wish Ihad tried them sooner.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny 5.56 View Post
    I asked about the round count in the mag, as I have a CAI mag that came with my 5.56 AK and is labeled .223, but if you load more than 20 rounds, it doesn't feed well at all.

The funny thing is that I used regular 5.45x39 Bulgarian mags with 20 rounds each and they feed without any issues. I didn't have to add 5.56 followers or do any kind of mods to them.

the CAI "223" mag that you have is a -74 mag that has no mod's to it. there are sevral out there. thay will work with .223 ammo with no more than 20 rnd's. the change that need to be made to the folower is no more than adding 3/16" to the back of the folower to raise up the back end of the case.
    here is a link to read up on to get the mags to work better. muttman

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f3/5-45-...23-ammo-54928/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.