Gunco Forums banner

galil 5.56 mags on an AK (non saiga)

6K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  muttman 
#1 ·
has sombody used a galil 5.56 mag in a 5.56 AK? if so what kind of mod's did it require to run. thanks muttman

#2 ·
I don't know about mods, but over on the Saiga forum they say the poly Galil mags can be easily made to work in any of the stamped AK style rifles, I don't think the steel ones are easy to do or don't work.

#3 ·
it depends on the rifle some 5.56 use the thin rommy type mags and wont interchange with the bulgy type. Id like to get my hands on some Galil mags and see if they fit my varmint build that is set up for Bulgy mags. who has the best deal on Galil mags I have a ST 2000 weiger clone kit from CFS that I was thinking of using a differant mag Id like to get a couple to see what there about.

#4 ·
Yep I have.

Really the only thing you need to do is sand off the "rib" on the front of the magazine near the front magazine locking tab. You can sand it off with a file or dremel and it will then be able to move into the trunion enough to lock the back locking tab. Just hand fit it and you'll see what I mean.

Yes the modified mags still work in a Galil.

Also be aware springs may need replacement:

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f43/weak-galil-magainze-springs-solution-found-35145/

#8 ·
I have used Galil 12rd mags in my Yugo M90. They need to be modded. I posted this over on the AKforum in the mag area complete with pics a couple. Of weeks ago. Galil metal mags are about the same width as standard 7.62x39 mags so they won't fit in AK74 mag wells without work. Just need a little weld and ejector cut to fit the M90-M95 223 HTH willie
Midways price sure is tempting but I sure would like some 50 rounders for novelty sake.

#9 ·
HMMMM Ill have to try some of the steel ones and see what there about. ill be building a weiger clone as well as a converting a barreless rommy kit over to 223 for a new Varmint build. Id like to have some steel mags that I can tweak if needed. Im not reall happy with the plastic Bulgy mags from Kvar as there is a lot of variance in them.

#10 ·
I bought a bunch of Galil magazines for my 223 Saiga. The plastic ones are all the same but there seems to be two versions of steel magazines. I like the steel ones but about 50% of the ones I had didn't work unless I pushed up on them. The others fit up tight in the receiver. I know the Galil was redesigned around 1984-1986 to take the M16 magazine adapter and the plastic magazines are for the newer Galil's. I think the magazines that sit lower in the receiver or have a loose up and down fit must be for the older Galil design.

#13 ·
a galil mag locks into my varmint 223 build but its a little tight length wise perfect IMOO . that reciver is based on a tapco flat with the mag well lengthend slightly. it was fitted to take bulgy 223 mags. I havent function tested it yet, but it looks like it should work I may get a few more.

#17 ·
I'd love to know how they work and how many rounds each mag can hold and successfully feed.
my gun is completly custom and if they worked in mine it would have no bearing on any other AK in the world. the mag I used was a 10 or 11 rounder not that it really matters. generaly a 30 round mag holds 30 rounds thus its name.

The good news is that it takes and works with AK 74 mags! Those are only $10 each on some sites!
your 5.56/223 needs to have mags made for it not 5.45x39. some guys claim to be able to change the followers in them and make them work some say they dont.

Are you having trouple finding the correct 223 mag for your gun or something??

#18 ·
my gun is completly custom and if they worked in mine it would have no bearing on any other AK in the world. the mag I used was a 10 or 11 rounder not that it really matters. generaly a 30 round mag holds 30 rounds thus its name.

your 5.56/223 needs to have mags made for it not 5.45x39. some guys claim to be able to change the followers in them and make them work some say they dont.

Are you having trouple finding the correct 223 mag for your gun or something??

I asked about the round count in the mag, as I have a CAI mag that came with my 5.56 AK and is labeled .223, but if you load more than 20 rounds, it doesn't feed well at all.

The funny thing is that I used regular 5.45x39 Bulgarian mags with 20 rounds each and they feed without any issues. I didn't have to add 5.56 followers or do any kind of mods to them.

The mags intended for the SAR 3 are the steel Romanian or East German Weigers. They work really well. The problem is that both of these mags are really hard to find and pricey.

I moded some Bulgy 5.56 "Circle 10" mags and they're great. I have several, but they sure aren't inexpensive.

It's kind of fun trying to get non proprietary 5.56 mags to work in my SAR 3. Saving money is cool too. ;)

#19 ·
I ran my galil 10 0r 11 round nag in my varmint build and it ran flawlesly. The mag well is set up to run bulgy 223 mags. every thing is pretty custom on the gun so your milage may vary.

I will definatly be getting some more of these for my future build wish Ihad tried them sooner.

#23 ·
You guys can mod your AK74 mags all you like.

Geometry will defeat you every time.

The cartridge shape of the .223 does not play well with the mag curvature of the 5.45x39 magazine. You can add fancy followers, or mod the existing one, but you're still not going to have a 100% reliable magazine.

Unlike 10 years ago, when the AK74 magazine option was all a .223 AK owner had, we have several options available today that are designed for the .223 AK and will provide reliable service.

#24 ·
You guys can mod your AK74 mags all you like.

Geometry will defeat you every time.

The cartridge shape of the .223 does not play well with the mag curvature of the 5.45x39 magazine. You can add fancy followers, or mod the existing one, but you're still not going to have a 100% reliable magazine.

Unlike 10 years ago, when the AK74 magazine option was all a .223 AK owner had, we have several options available today that are designed for the .223 AK and will provide reliable service.
nalioth,
I agree with you 100% on "correct mags for a .223", but the cheep $9.00 mags out their can be made to work for some one (like me) that would rather make it than spend on it, that is my point. muttman

#26 ·
johnny 556,
there is a post over at saiga-12 forms in the tech form. you will need to look for it, look for dezane (sp). it that gets deeper in to it, pc crash with no back up so no link. basicly you build up the raised pad the the case sets on with a taper From the Back to the Front, with the front of the folower having no build up, i.e. a wedge. you can use epxoy that is kneeded (sp) by hand not the runny mix with a stick type sold at homedepot.
muttman

#28 ·
I picked up 5 Orlite galil/golani? 35 round .223 magazines a few years back, for my saiga 223. It was like 1 for $11 or 5 for $40. something like that. pretty cheap. Anyways, I had to shave down the sides so they'd fit in the magwell, and also install a bullet guide on the trunnion. Just cut a piece of cast iron pipe to fit, ground groung ground shaved and then tapped and installed it. Worked great for me for a while, only problem was with the bullet guide i couldnt use any other magazines, such as ones made specifically for saiga 223. maybe just my guide was to big or in the way. i picked up a bunch of surefire 30 round mags for it since then and havent used the galil mags or the bullet guide. but it did work, and the mags were pretty cheap.

#29 ·
You can't run both factory mags and milsurp mags in a Saiga.

The factory mags come with a bullet guide built into them.

If you install a bullet guide in the gun, this built-in bullet guide on the factory magazine causes it to not fit (both bullet guides are trying to occupy the same space).

Some folks grind off the built-in bullet guide from their factory mags, but most folks just toss theirs in the drawer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.