Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: galil 5.56 mags on an AK (non saiga)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by muttman View Post
    the CAI "223" mag that you have is a -74 mag that has no mod's to it. there are sevral out there. thay will work with .223 ammo with no more than 20 rnd's. the change that need to be made to the folower is no more than adding 3/16" to the back of the folower to raise up the back end of the case.
    here is a link to read up on to get the mags to work better. muttman

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f3/5-45-...23-ammo-54928/

What must be done in order to add 3/16" to the back of the folower to raise up the back end of the case?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'm just guessing muttman used an epoxy of some sort to build it up. Personally I would just get some Galil mags and use them as they are currently cheap and plentiful.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

You guys can mod your AK74 mags all you like.

Geometry will defeat you every time.

The cartridge shape of the .223 does not play well with the mag curvature of the 5.45x39 magazine. You can add fancy followers, or mod the existing one, but you're still not going to have a 100% reliable magazine.

Unlike 10 years ago, when the AK74 magazine option was all a .223 AK owner had, we have several options available today that are designed for the .223 AK and will provide reliable service.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by nalioth View Post

The cartridge shape of the .223 does not play well with the mag curvature of the 5.45x39 magazine. You can add fancy followers, or mod the existing one, but you're still not going to have a 100% reliable magazine.

Unlike 10 years ago, when the AK74 magazine option was all a .223 AK owner had, we have several options available today that are designed for the .223 AK and will provide reliable service.
    nalioth,
    I agree with you 100% on "correct mags for a .223", but the cheep $9.00 mags out their can be made to work for some one (like me) that would rather make it than spend on it, that is my point. muttman

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nalioth View Post

nalioth,
    I agree with you 100% on "correct mags for a .223", but the cheep $9.00 mags out their can be made to work for some one (like me) that would rather make it than spend on it, that is my point. muttman
    . . if your definition of "works" means "feeds sometimes", "cartridges bind in mag body" "double feeds", "doesn't work with X rounds loaded" etc, then I wish you Godspeed.

Feedback Score

johnny 556,
    there is a post over at saiga-12 forms in the tech form. you will need to look for it, look for dezane (sp). it that gets deeper in to it, pc crash with no back up so no link. basicly you build up the raised pad the the case sets on with a taper From the Back to the Front, with the front of the folower having no build up, i.e. a wedge. you can use epxoy that is kneeded (sp) by hand not the runny mix with a stick type sold at homedepot.
    muttman

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

johnny 556,
    there is a post over at saiga-12 forms in the tech form. you will need to look for it, look for dezane (sp). it that gets deeper in to it,
    Dinzag is the author of the post of which you speak.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

I picked up 5 Orlite galil/golani? 35 round .223 magazines a few years back, for my saiga 223. It was like 1 for $11 or 5 for $40. something like that. pretty cheap. Anyways, I had to shave down the sides so they'd fit in the magwell, and also install a bullet guide on the trunnion. Just cut a piece of cast iron pipe to fit, ground groung ground shaved and then tapped and installed it. Worked great for me for a while, only problem was with the bullet guide i couldnt use any other magazines, such as ones made specifically for saiga 223. maybe just my guide was to big or in the way. i picked up a bunch of surefire 30 round mags for it since then and havent used the galil mags or the bullet guide. but it did work, and the mags were pretty cheap.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Posthumous View Post
    I picked up 5 Orlite galil/golani? 35 round .223 magazines a few years back, for my saiga 223. It was like 1 for $11 or 5 for $40. something like that. pretty cheap. Anyways, I had to shave down the sides so they'd fit in the magwell, and also install a bullet guide on the trunnion. Just cut a piece of cast iron pipe to fit, ground groung ground shaved and then tapped and installed it. Worked great for me for a while, only problem was with the bullet guide i couldnt use any other magazines, such as ones made specifically for saiga 223. maybe just my guide was to big or in the way. i picked up a bunch of surefire 30 round mags for it since then and havent used the galil mags or the bullet guide. but it did work, and the mags were pretty cheap.
    You can't run both factory mags and milsurp mags in a Saiga.

The factory mags come with a bullet guide built into them.

If you install a bullet guide in the gun, this built-in bullet guide on the factory magazine causes it to not fit (both bullet guides are trying to occupy the same space).

Some folks grind off the built-in bullet guide from their factory mags, but most folks just toss theirs in the drawer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Posthumous View Post
    Interested in selling some of the Galil mags?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.