Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: sleve for boldt carier

Feedback Score

Default sleve for boldt carier

I have a spair -47 rommy B/C and need a 5.56 boldt head I was thinking of using a sleve for the smaller stem of a -74 in a -47 B/C the only thin that that I have a problem with is mounting the sleve (how to) are they pined in or tack welded in ? what would be recomended, or would tig welding a ring in then cut for a 5.56 work. yes I know the weeken the boldt head thing but I was looking at a photo of a 5.56 FAL that had the mod (welded ring) to the boldt face.
    thanks muttman
    BTW a galil boldt head cost is not in the check book.
    Last edited by muttman; 07-27-2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: add more

Feedback Score

Just a quick idea (without homework or great depth of thought)... What about sleeving the bolt instead?

Feedback Score

Or even sleeving the bolt and moddin it for a spring loaded firing pin? Friggin thinikin too much here...

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I think I've used this sleeve for just that. If memory serves it was the right size for the .223. One I drilled through the carrier and tig welded the hole like a muzzle break. Another was welded on the ends then smoothed with a bullet stone. The split for the ejector was cut afterwords.

from Double tap me

Bolt sleeve
    This bolt sleeve adapts the smaller AK74 to the larger AK47 bolt carrier. This allows you to use the more plentiful and cheaper AK47 carrier. Welded the bolt, sleeve and carrier together then use a mill or Drimel with a part off wheel to re-cut the extractor cut. These sleeves are turned and bored from 4130 tubing.
    Bolt sleeves to adapt the smaller AK74 bolt to the larger AK47 carrier
    Price is $10.00 each. USPS flat rate shipping is $4.05. Save on shipping when ordering with other items or a Mag Well.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Id sleave the bolt and as mentiond you can make it into a addapter for a spring loaded pin as well. a sleave could be threaded on or pinned on or even welded on if your doing a pin conversion I find a way to make it removable. this is also a good opertunity to take away some of the slop in the fit of these two parts.

I have done one bolt conversion but unfortunatly I dont have pictures and no onger have the gun. I didnt do a pin conversion on it.

I have a idea for a screw on one as well as a slight extension so I can move the trunion forward and still have the hammer hit. I hope to get to is soon it will be part of a 308 type conversion.

Feedback Score

Hello muttman,
    One other method for adapting the 5.56mm NATO round to the Romi carrier is to use the .30 cal Romi bolt modified as a clone device. This is done by slightly reshaping the .30 cal extractor AND modifying the extractor mounting slot to allow the clone extractor to not only catch the 5.56 NATO round but also push it across the larger bolt face upon extraction into the .30 ejector tab. See ??

No welding is needed. This is a Dremel or milling operation. Hard primers help deal with the larger firing pin of the .30 bolt.

VD

Feedback Score

Most 7.62x39 bolt carriers won't fit through the top opening of a 5.56 magazine. The Bulgarian ones are milled narrower. The 5.45 AK-74 bolt carrier will work. There is a rare tapered bottom Romanian bolt carrier that is similar to Chinese bolt carriers. The standard flat bottom 7.62x39 bolt carrier will usually have to be narrowed.

Feedback Score

allese,
    like this ( photo), (photo). funney this you bring this up my rommy "G" B/C pass right thrue a 5.56 mag. when my camra recharges its batterys Ill post a photo of what my -47 B/C looks like with a SAR3 mag. muttman
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Most 7.62x39 bolt carriers won't fit through the top opening of a 5.56 magazine. The Bulgarian ones are milled narrower. The 5.45 AK-74 bolt carrier will work. There is a rare tapered bottom Romanian bolt carrier that is similar to Chinese bolt carriers. The standard flat bottom 7.62x39 bolt carrier will usually have to be narrowed.
    many of the amd 65 carriers will clear barely. I just narrowed a standard rommy on most of my conversions

Feedback Score

As far as I can tell my 5.56 build (no live test yet) will work with my rommy B/C. The other one I have I need to try. Muttman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.