Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: AK Build in .45ACP

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Yea that blank would work we will need to chamber it and turn it and every thing else but its a good start. you could do a bull barrel or a heavier weight like around 3/4" or what ever a RPK barrel uses for a GB and hand guard retainer.

that barrel might be just the ticket for a 450 bushmaster also. brass is out for it now an Im sure there are reamers. Id have to research the twist.

wish they had a .358 barrel cheap. Im thinking about a 9mm-08 using my 358 win reamer on one of there 9mm barrels. Id have to get it converted to a removable pilot. it would be a fun gun to shoot cast bullets in.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by mrtank View Post

Mrtank thanks for the link ! That should do the job perfectly, now I just need to find me an RPK parts kit or at least the barrel assemblies.

I found a MAC-10 Grease Gun mag well also.

I think I'm going to try calling one of the flat builders and see if they can make me one without the dimples. Worst comes to worst I can use a dimpled flat and heat the dimples up and bang them back out I guess....that would work right ??

Yea that blank would work we will need to chamber it and turn it and every thing else but its a good start. you could do a bull barrel or a heavier weight like around 3/4" or what ever a RPK barrel uses for a GB and hand guard retainer.
    Hey biggun this barrel will work with a standard AKM front trunnion, the 23mm one right ?? It wouldn't have to be turned down too much right ??

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Have you considered a bent blank build? Plain sheetmetal flat with no holes or openings (or dimples) that have already been bent to final receiver shape. A glue on template for drilling the various holes is usually bonded on. Was popular back before flats and bending jigs got so popular.

You would have to lay out and drill your FCG holes and such, as well as cut in the magwell and trigger opening but you would be starting out with pretty much what you are trying to achieve with a flat, plus no bending jig required.

Marshhawk was the usual source but his website says out of stock currently. Anybody got a source in stock?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    Have you considered a bent blank build? Plain sheetmetal flat with no holes or openings (or dimples) that have already been bent to final receiver shape. A glue on template for drilling the various holes is usually bonded on. Was popular back before flats and bending jigs got so popular.

You would have to lay out and drill your FCG holes and such, as well as cut in the magwell and trigger opening but you would be starting out with pretty much what you are trying to achieve with a flat, plus no bending jig required.

Marshhawk was the usual source but his website says out of stock currently. Anybody got a source in stock?

That would be perfect ! Technically it's not 100% receiver either so I don't have to pay the transfer fee which is nice...does anyone know where to get one by chance ?

Feedback Score

Ok, for bent blanks check out this Products/Order

Could also weld one of the Apex cut milled receivers back together for a blow back build.

If you wanted to be different you could use a h&K front sight. could cut the bottom loop off and weld on a larger one for the thicker barrel. Then you could use a rear drum sight on the receiver and even use a g3 cocking cube with the non moving cocking handle/lever. HK91 G3 Cocking Tube and Trunion Assembly, RTG Gun Parts It would be pushing back on what used to be the piston on the carrier. Could also swap out the bolt head for a grade 8 bolt, Some lathe work could have it drilled for a firing pin and bolt face recess. Something like the Cz52 extractor could be fitted.

At some point it would be easier to make a tube gun than make it out of ak parts.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Coldsteel's blanks have the dimples.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

You dont need a RPK kit you only need a couple parts. . a flat can be made from sheet metal for about $5 from aircraft spruce. why will demples affect your build any way? what mag well are you using and how will they be a issue. dont take this the wrong way but I think you really need to slow down and plan out your build a little more before buying a bunch of parts. the demples on a flat can be smashed flat or reduced in depth fairly easy with a hammer Ive done it. see my g3 mag build thread. even on a hardend reciver they could be heated and eleminated with some work.

the barrel that was linked will work for what you want but it will need to be completly profiled and chamberd as well as have all the pin holes drilled. it will require a 45ACP chamber reamer.

None of the flat builders are going to retool there extreamy expensive set ups just for you. simply take a piece of the correct size sheet metal and lay a flat over it and transfwe all the holes and then drill them out and bend it.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    You dont need a RPK kit you only need a couple parts. . a flat can be made from sheet metal for about $5 from aircraft spruce. why will demples affect your build any way? what mag well are you using and how will they be a issue. dont take this the wrong way but I think you really need to slow down and plan out your build a little more before buying a bunch of parts. the demples on a flat can be smashed flat or reduced in depth fairly easy with a hammer Ive done it. see my g3 mag build thread. even on a hardend reciver they could be heated and eleminated with some work.

the barrel that was linked will work for what you want but it will need to be completly profiled and chamberd as well as have all the pin holes drilled. it will require a 45ACP chamber reamer.

None of the flat builders are going to retool there extreamy expensive set ups just for you. simply take a piece of the correct size sheet metal and lay a flat over it and transfwe all the holes and then drill them out and bend it.

I know I only need a couple RPK parts but a gas block-$50, rear sight block-$40 and front sight block-$40 that's $130...if I can get a half-ass parts kit with no furniture and stuff like that then it might be worth it...depending on the price. I still need a dust cover, bolt/carrier, ect...which if I bought the RPK parts kit I would need all those parts for the build one way or another so my as well buy them all together.

I've been searching around for even just RPK barrel assemblies...I am thinking of doing what Rhino and some others suggested and just cutting basic AK47 or AKM ones and using those. I am thinking of just buying a Romy G parts kit for $99 from CFS that way I'll have everything I need for the .45 build.

The only thing I would need to buy is the RPK gas block...or just one that has a bigger diameter then a basic AKM one...such as the Saiga .308.

Also Biggun I won't need to pin anything to the barrel...as Rhino said he soldered them on instead, or I could weld them, either way. IIRC the pins would make the barrel too thin and could cause major problems, also depending on the o.d of the barrel and the i.d of the barrel assemblies.

Also I don't expect anyone to re-tool for 1 receiver....but if they make them in house then they start from a flat piece of metal in the first place...they may be willing to just bend it, drill the holes and leave out the dimples and mag well for me....it's worth a shot to ask. Especially since I don't have a bending jig and really prefer not to buy one...I could make a Grasshopper one if I really needed to though. Or I could just flatten the dimples back out with a torch and a hammer if I really needed to, it's no problem either way.

I haven't bought a single thing yet...all I'm doing is searching around seeing what's available, how much it is and where to get it.

I'm keeping a list of parts that I will need once I start buying and once I figure out exactly what I am using and what I can/can't use. For instance I know I will definitly need that .45acp barrel blank, the MAC-10 GG mag well, a bigger diameter gas block and a receiver. Those are definites.

Also all the basic AK parts like dust cover, FCG, pistol grip, ect..parts that do not need to be changed out to work with a .45 build.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

THE POINT OF GOING WITH A BIGGER GAS BLOCK IS SO YOU CAN PIN THE PARTS. YOU DONT WANT TO WELD ANY THING TO A BARREL WITH POSSABLY THE EXCEPTION OF A PERMINITE MUZZEL DEVICE ESPECIALY A THIN BARREL. i KEEP HEARING MORE AND MORE GUYS WANTING TO WELD ON BARRELS THIS IS A DANGERIOUS IDEA. SOLDER IS A DIFFERANT THING HOWEVER. AS STATED NONE OF THE FLAT BUILDER ARE GOING TO BE ABLE TO CHANGE THERE SET UPS THERE DONE ON LARGE STAMPING MACHINES. TAPCO HAS BEEN UNWILLING TO CORRECT THERE KNOWN ISSUES FOR 6 YEARS. hOWEVER THERE WAS A GUY BUILDING SOME RECIVERES ON THE Ak FORUM THAT MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP YOU HE IS A CLASS3 FFL AND CAN MAKE YOU PRETTY MUCH ANY THING. i DONT RECALL HIS NAME BUT HE WAS WILLING TO BEND UP SOME OF MY CUSTOM FLATS AND STAMP THEM SO THEY COULD BE TRANSFERED IN AS 100% RECIVERS. SEARCH OVER THERE. iM STILL NOT SURE WHY THE DEMPLES ARE A PROBLEM.

iF YOU DO HAPPEN TO STUMPLE A CROSS A CHEAP RPK KIT IT WOULD BE FOOLISH TO PART IT OUT ID BUILD IT OR RESELL IT TO BUY WHAT YOU WANT.

THERE ARE ALSO SOME AFTER MARKET GAS BLOCKS AS WELL.

ALSO YOU ARE BUILDING A BLOW BACK i ASSUME SO THE gb DOSENT REALLY DO ANY THING BUT HOLD THE GAS TUBE. IF YOU WANT TO GET FANCY THERE ARE A LOT OF WAYS TO HOLD THE TUBE ON PLACE THAT DONT REQUIRE A FACTROY BLOCK.

iT GOOD THAT YOU YPUR MAKING A LIST.

Feedback Score

THE POINT OF GOING WITH A BIGGER GAS BLOCK IS SO YOU CAN PIN THE PARTS. YOU DONT WANT TO WELD ANY THING TO A BARREL WITH POSSABLY THE EXCEPTION OF A PERMINITE MUZZEL DEVICE ESPECIALY A THIN BARREL. i KEEP HEARING MORE AND MORE GUYS WANTING TO WELD ON BARRELS THIS IS A DANGERIOUS IDEA. SOLDER IS A DIFFERANT THING HOWEVER.
    The reason for the bigger barrel assemblies is because the standard AKM ones won't fit without dangerously turning the barrel thin and pinning would be impossible. From what I understand from waht Rhino said is even with the RPK assemblies it's still cutting it close pinning them.

AS STATED NONE OF THE FLAT BUILDER ARE GOING TO BE ABLE TO CHANGE THERE SET UPS THERE DONE ON LARGE STAMPING MACHINES. TAPCO HAS BEEN UNWILLING TO CORRECT THERE KNOWN ISSUES FOR 6 YEARS. hOWEVER THERE WAS A GUY BUILDING SOME RECIVERES ON THE Ak FORUM THAT MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP YOU HE IS A CLASS3 FFL AND CAN MAKE YOU PRETTY MUCH ANY THING. i DONT RECALL HIS NAME BUT HE WAS WILLING TO BEND UP SOME OF MY CUSTOM FLATS AND STAMP THEM SO THEY COULD BE TRANSFERED IN AS 100% RECIVERS. SEARCH OVER THERE. iM STILL NOT SURE WHY THE DEMPLES ARE A PROBLEM.
    That is true for companies like Tapco and AK Builder but Cold Steel Solutions from what I hear custom makes each receiver per the customers request...depending what they can/can't do of course. Either way though I know I can use a receiver with dimples...I'll just have to heat them and flatten them so I know I definitly have a receiver for this build, and a barrel and mag well.

iF YOU DO HAPPEN TO STUMPLE A CROSS A CHEAP RPK KIT IT WOULD BE FOOLISH TO PART IT OUT ID BUILD IT OR RESELL IT TO BUY WHAT YOU WANT.

THERE ARE ALSO SOME AFTER MARKET GAS BLOCKS AS WELL.
    I was thinking more along the lines of a half assed parts kit, like the barrel assemblies and a few other parts, something like that. Definitly not a worth buying a complete kit and parting it out. I am thinking though of getting a Yugo RPK parts kit w/barrel and making it an Under Folder...instead of getting the Polish UF kit, I like the RPK style and it's something I don't have and would be nice to add to the collection as opposed to another basic AK.

ALSO YOU ARE BUILDING A BLOW BACK i ASSUME SO THE gb DOSENT REALLY DO ANY THING BUT HOLD THE GAS TUBE. IF YOU WANT TO GET FANCY THERE ARE A LOT OF WAYS TO HOLD THE TUBE ON PLACE THAT DONT REQUIRE A FACTROY BLOCK.

iT GOOD THAT YOU YPUR MAKING A LIST.
    You are correct, it will be blow back.

I have actually been thinking about that, I was thinking about using a G3 triple hole gas block. That way I'll have the front sight, place for the gas tube and I can jsut cut the ring for the barrel and reweld a larger one.

Also I could use an AKM rear sight block and cut the ring off for the barrel and reweld a larger one on as well.

I jsut have to check and see if the G3 and AK gas tubes are close in demensions so I can still use an AK gas tube.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.