Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: AK Build in .45ACP

Feedback Score

Default AK Build in .45ACP

Ok I have been doing a TON of research for an AK build in 9mm/x25 tok and have been trying to read everything available. From talking to other members and really looking at my options I've been trying to make the best decision as to which route to go...since I am a 1911 fanatic and love the .45acp more than 9mm I have decided to do a build in .45acp.

Also big thanks to KernelKrink who opened up the possibility to me by giving me the link's to Rhino 66's AK build in .45acp. I'm still finishing up the Saiga and building the Romy G so that will give me some time to do more research and collect the parts that I'll need for the .45acp build. I would also like to start reloading after these projects so although .45 is more money than 9mm and x25 tok I will make my savings by reloading it.

I am pretty much going to do it just like Rhino 66 did...with a few minor tweaks of my own such as a nonreciprocating charging handle and I'd like to use the Uzi front trunnion and be able to have a detachable barrel.

There's a few things I'm not equipped to do and wanted to know if someone here is able to do them:

1) Turn a .45acp 16" barrel to fit the Uzi trunnion if I provide all the parts needed ?? Also a gas block/front sight would be used, hopefully a Bulgy one if I can find one...

2) Does anyone know if there are AK flats available without the magwell and dimples in them ??? Worst case I can use one without the magwell cut out and hammer the dimples back out if I had to.

3) Is there anyone that would be able to bend the flat accordingly and if I provide the Uzi front trunnion and magwell be able to attach those as well ?? Or if there's someone in the PA area or even NY, NJ or Delaware that could help me with this I'd be more than willing to drive and pay for the help...I'm just not wquipped to do it all by myself.

I'm starting to account for all the parts I'll need, writting them down, but before I go and buy evertyhing I need to find some people who would be willing and able to help me with this. Rhino 66's thread is a HUGE help as he explains in detail and with pictures how exactly he made his work so if someone is capable of bending flats and TIG/MIG welding that would be enough to do most of this build I believe.

I also do not mind sending the stuff away for someone to work on if needed.

Thanks, Saigaist

Feedback Score

For anyone else interested in doing an AK Build in .45acp or for anyone who would like to see the work involved to see if they would be able to help me here are Rhino66's threads, showing pretty much step by step instructions on how to build the AK in .45acp:

AK.45 work (well, sort of...)

AK.45 bolt revisted (and showing off my new camera)

More work on .45ACP conversion.

AK.45 Conversion update (minor)

AK.45 Receiver work

AK.45 Receiver Work (Part Deux)

AK.45 Bolt/Carrier Update

Another AK.45 update

AK.45 Receiver assembly, barrel installation, and barrel blocks (PICS ADDED!!)

AK.45 is ALMOST finished...

AK.45 IS FUNCTIONAL!!!!! (sort of)....

AK.45 Ejection update

Again Thank you KernelKrink for gathering all these for me...it is a huge help.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Wow, that was a great build! Thanks for posting the links together.
    "Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum."
    Therefore, whoever wishes for peace, let him prepare for war.

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

See also:

The AK Files Forums - AK-45

a-kmanator has a much cleaner mag catch than mine, and a different carrier assembly. Also, his receiver looks to be standard length. The AKFiles link has pics of the carrier and receiver.

From the pics, it would appear that he did not hog out the trunnion lugs like I did.

The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino_66 View Post
    See also:

The AK Files Forums - AK-45

a-kmanator has a much cleaner mag catch than mine, and a different carrier assembly. Also, his receiver looks to be standard length. The AKFiles link has pics of the carrier and receiver.

From the pics, it would appear that he did not hog out the trunnion lugs like I did.

Thanks Rhino...your build is incredible, true craftsmenship ! Your threads actually pushed me to do an AK in .45acp instead of 9mm which is more of my style.

Are those receivers you got still available btw ?? I tried to go to the link that you posted back then but it said the link was broken I guess worst case scenario I could use a receiver with the dimples and just bang them back out with a hammer and clean them up ?

I have made a list of the parts I believe I will need for this build, they are as follows;

Receiver flat (without the magwell and if possible without the dimples)

AK front trunnion

Uzi front trunnion (only if I do the detachable barrel like a real Uzi)

Arsenal rear trunnion

MAC-10 .45ACP Grease Gun Mag well

16" .45ACP barrel turned for either the Uzi trunion with a barrel nut or for an AK trunnion and also to accept an AK gas block/front sight

Bulgarian gas block/front sight

AK rear sight block (maybe a Krink style one if I can shorten the receiver and use a Krink dust cover w/Krink rear sight)

G2 FCG

AK pistol grip

Tapco Galil style handguards

Russian Triangle folding stock or the polymer one

A pair of MAC-10 pistol grips modified for the mag well

AK47 bolt/carrier assembly

Rivet set

2 FCG pins

FAL Inch pattern folding charging handle

modified AK gas piston (to work with the nonreciprocating charging handle)

nonreciprocating charging handle tube

If anyone can think of anything else I would need or know anyone that can do the barrel and receiver work please let me know, thanks.

I'm starting to think that having the barrel detachable like a Uzi might be a little to much....you would have to remove the handguards, gas tube and alll to actually remove the barrel, and also modify the rear sight block for the barrel nut to fit. It wouldn't be as easy as a real Uzi....but it would still be cool. Also if anything happened to the barrel, like after a few years it got shot out of sumthin it could be easily replaced...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

You really dont need a flat with demples you just need to flat made from 4140. I have a few that i made. You are going to have a tough time with out a mill and lathe or friends who have one.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

There have been a couple of threads on Uzitalk.com about modifying Suomi drums to hold .45 ACP. I've held a .45 cartridge up against a spare drum and the length looks okay.

FYI...

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    You really dont need a flat with demples you just need to flat made from 4140. I have a few that i made. You are going to have a tough time with out a mill and lathe or friends who have one.

Yea I know my buddies dad has a lathe so if I really needed I could ask him for some help but he's recently reitred and I'm not sure he has enough experience with this kind of work to do what's needed, and I know I don't have enough experience either...

What I was thinking is if I got a receiver flat without the magwell and pushed the dimples back in then I'd be ok...and I can push the dimples back in myself pretty much right.

The main thing right now or the first thing I need to do is find someone around me that would be able to help me bend the flat, rivet the front trunnion in and install the MAC-10 magwell then all I would have to do is find someone who could turn down a 16" .45 barrel for an AK trunnion and to accept AK barrel assemblies, minus the front sight block.

Or if there's a gunsmith/welder that could do the MAC-10 .45 magwell for me, I could just bend the flat, remove the dimples and install the front trunnion.

Anyone know of someone that does custom receiver work ??

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

just get a piece of 4140 from air craft spruce lay a normal flat over it and copy the hole layout it will cost about $5 . That how I do my 308 type conversion recivers.

you dont need demples even on a normal AK.
    you certainly wont need them on a build that will have a mag well welded in.

I'm not sure he has enough experience with this kind of work to do what's needed, and I know I don't have enough experience either...
    Only one way to learn if he will let you use it get some round stock and start practicing there are pleanty of books and vids out there. barrel work is not that hard is just a matter of getting the tool bit at the right angle and being able to read a MIC and know how much to take off. If your going to keep building like its sounds and want to do custom stuff you really should buy a flat bender and some basic tools. screw builds work fine also and I do a lot of them especialy on protype experimnetal buiilds were I might want to get it a part to adjust a bullet guid or change some thing.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I agree with 1biggun. Use a sheet of 4130 0.040" thick steel sheet. Slather on the blue lay out die and use a standard ak flat as the template. Scratch out the outline and use center punches to mark the holes. A bit of band saw work and a grinder and .. Voila!... a custom ak flat. Do it once to get the job done and you will decide to do it again to correct the "errors" you made the first time. In the end you are a better metal worker.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.