Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: .22-250?

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default .22-250?

I was looking through a loading manual the other day, and then at the Green Mountain sale on .223 barrels for $30.

Hmm... I've mostly been a big-bore fan, but the .22-250 looks like a sweeeet cartridge. Many of the loads I found exceeded the velocity of the .220 Swift with the same bullets.

Downside: the 4000+ fps loads were all around 60,000 PSI. Some were listed at 3100 fps and 39,000 PSI, which is quite respectable. SAAMI max appears to be 65,000 PSI. Yawp! 7.61x51 SAAMI max is 62,000 PSI... I couldn't find any pressure specs for commercial ammo, but I don't think I'd be comfortable shooting anything that hot with an AK action.

For handloads, looking through a couple of different books showed that the .22-250 is quite flexible as far as loading components, and still delivers good velocity even at substantially lower pressures.

Hmm... you know, if you short-chambered the barrel by .030" or so and adjusted the dies appropriately for your reloads, you could ensure that the bolt would not close over a commercial .22-250 cartridge. I guess you could call it a "semi-wildcat."

Hmm... sure would be a lot cheaper than the 6.5mm barrel I want for the Hadar build... the difference in length would require the use of a .308 mag, at which point the .300 Savage starts looking good again.

Choices, choices...

Feedback Score

To get past the "barrel burner" stigma of the round you could leave 4" or so of the barrel at the trunnion hole diameter and when the throat shows wear, shorten the barrel by .5" and rechamber. You'd have to shorten the piston too though...

Maybe go with a .308 case, neck sized to .224, so it is a wildcat with awesome brass availability, instead of just pretty good. Maybe even shorten it a bit if you want.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

LOL. some were here I have proposed doing a doing loaded 22-250. SAMMI is a whoping 65,000 PSI on that round so factory ammo is definatly out IMOO. And I just recived a
    1-14 twist fully chambered marlin bolt action barrel in the mail on monday for a 22-250 varmint build.

My plan of attack is to rebate to the rim slghtly so it works with a standard bolt and and then it wont chamber in a AK, it would still chamber in a standard 22-250 but so what the worst that happens is a extraction issue. I have several ideas for a rebating tool that would only take seconds to use in a drill press or a lathe. pushing the neck forward would work gut that would take fire forming. you could ream it shallow aas long as it wasent to much not a bad idea. Ill have to think about that one for awhile.
    there is nickle plated brass also that hepls keep things sorted out. the 22-250 is especialy dangerious to do as the chamber pressure is above many magnums so a mix up could be really bad. It would be like a proof round. there are some advantages to larger case volume and slow powder if you running a long barrel.

now here is the bad news those GM barrels are pretty short 17" as I recall so you not going to get a lot of speed out of them and to make matters worse is the twist is 1.7 vs the 1-14 seen on 99% of the 22-250's. the 1-17 twist would be great for heavy 95grain bullets shot at high speed but Id only expect 800 rounds or so before the throat is gone especialy on a cheap blank like these. I wanted to do a fast twist bolt action and every thing I have read and heard says the barrel will not hold up. HOWEVER if loaded light like we are suggesting it might not be so bad if it was kept at 223 speeds. Not sure what the advntage would be if they were shot that slow might as well just build a 223.

the project is doable Im looking one of those barrels on a 22-250 on a Ruger action with a savage style barrel nut so it can be changed (scraped ) easly.

Maybe go with a .308 case, neck sized to .224, so it is a wildcat with awesome brass availability, instead of just pretty good. Maybe even shorten it a bit if you want.
    Its been done there is the 223 middlestead the 22-08 and the 22Cheetah uses 308 benchreast bras. I have a 22 cheetah reamer and I will be doing a barrel for my 308 sagia at some point.

I really wish those barrels were longer id get a few of them. I am getting one to do a standard 223 build on. the 1-7 twist with 80 grain bullets will work great unfortunatly ill be losing velocity due to the short barrel. they have a full length turned on centers blank for aroun $80 however.

Id deffinatly leave the shank long to allow for future set back. a shorter tube and pistion is easy to do.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Ifcost is a concern then just do a 243 with a take off barrel it will give good performance loaded light and still be easy to do. the 300 savage is one of the best conversions IMOO lost of gains over the x39 can be made form 308 brass factory loads are much lighter than 308 and should be pretty safe. ( dont quote me)

Im going to leave my free bore long and use untrimmed 308 brass ran through 300 sav dies to make things easy and also give me a little more neck to hold the bullet. factroy 300 savage will still fire in it however.

I got the reamer if you go the 300 SAV there have been a few take off barrel on GB as well.

Feedback Score

If one of you decides to make the 22-250 leap I have a reamer and gages.

Feedback Score

Running lower pressure 1BG rebated rim idea rocks. TRX and I have discussed rim rebating before and I no longer have access to Hardinge (that was @ a past employer). For speed a primer pocket driver could be made with a center cap for the tailstock end that rides over the neck and against the shoulder. Would beat chucking on a tapered case.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Running lower pressure 1BG rebated rim idea rocks. TRX and I have discussed rim rebating before and I no longer have access to Hardinge (that was @ a past employer). For speed a primer pocket driver could be made with a center cap for the tailstock end that rides over the neck and against the shoulder. Would beat chucking on a tapered case.
    Maybe make a collet that would grip really close to the rim, so it grabs the case web area. You could thread in a stop in it to put the case mouth [correct terminology?] against.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

From my experiences with making rimless 9mm Largo brass from rimmed .38 brass: Set your collet stop to grip the case as close to the extractor as you can, where you're over the base web. I kept fighting with brass that wanted to crawl out of the collet anyway. Years later, I realized running the live center out of the tailstock to hold the brass in place would have solved that.

Some people get all bent out of shape over the time involved. It took maybe an hour to do 50 cases; BFD. Way faster than cutting down and forming .30-06 into 7.65 Mauser, I can tell you...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I was thinking of a keyless chuck with a mandrell to suport the case coming out of the center and a spring loaded tail stock set up that had a pin to fit in the primer pocket. simply losen the chuck push the spring loaded tail stock pin back and insert the case tighthen the chuck and turn the head with a custom ground cutter that would cut the case head down and the grove at the same time. it should not take more than 15 seconds each if it works like Im thinking. a set up could be designed to work in a drill press as well.

Willie can you eleberate on a set up to drive from the primer pocket end.

looking at the load books I can see several loads that would give better than 223 performance an still have reasonably safe pressures.

the fastest max load with a 50 grain bullet 223 load in my lyman book is 3480 @ 49,200 cup

VS

there are starting loads for the 22-250 that go 35,690 at only 39,400 CUP that same powder can get 3912 FPS with a maxed out compressed load making 52,000 cup (to hot IMOO) but some were in the middle is a load that would likely do 37,000 FPs at around 45,000 CUP. that would be a improvement of over 200 FPS.

Im looking into loads with a fast twist barrel that gives gains over the 223 with heavy bullets. I can do everything I want with a 223 out to well over 400 yards Im looking for a littel more for long range (800+ yards) with heavy bullets.
    Im looking at doing a chamber with a longer bulllet lead to allow me to seat the bullets out further. the 308 lengthmags allow that easly.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

a heavy 17" barrel shooting 70 grain bullets as fast as the pressure would allow would make a great mid range gun. the barrel will not allow the speeds I have listed but you know what? the gun would stilll be a great 400 yard gun and would be very accurate. IF THE BARREL IS ANY GOOD.

FLUTE IT AND DUMP SOME OF THE WEIGHT AND IT WOULD MAKE A COOL CARRYABLE COYOTE GUN.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.