Gunco Forums banner

.45 bushmaster (thumper) ak

3K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
The .45 BM as I look over the specks of the round should be a good round for the ak. Low presure, will fit a 5.56 mag(with a new folower). The only down side sofar is a reamer and headspace guage's. What do you think.

#4 ·
I STARTED A THREAD A WHILE BACK ON THE 450. IT WOULD BE A GOOD ROUND. iM SURE A REAMER CAN BE HAD FOR AROUND $125 SELL IT WHEN YOUR DONE.

BRASS IS SHOWING UP IN SOME PLACES. MIDWAY SHOWS IT (I THINK).

iM JUST GOING TO DO A 458 WIN AND HAVE THE REAL THING. A AK DOSENT NEED TO BE CONFINED TO A AR LENGTH MAG. I HAVE THE REAMER JUST NEED TO BLANK AND THE TIME.

#5 ·
biggun,
I like the round, 19-20" in b-gell, low presure(33k) and if the need to plink then reload with 230gn bulet or for hunting, muzzel loder bulets. yes midway does have ammo. green mtn listed barrel blanks but sells them with a differnt vender. brass might be made from 248 winn brass but the .45 bm uses a small primer, on target issues.
the ar lenth mag is not the deal breaker for me could make a new flower for a 5.56 ak mag. muttman

#6 ·
Id say go for it. one thing to watch out for is how close the chamber gets tot he barrel pin. its got to be close. Id start with a virgin trunion if possable like the ones R guns has and then go from there. Im not against the round its just a 458 win will do every thing better and cheaper if 308 brass is used. the round can be down loaded to any pressure you want.

if the round was cheap to shoot Id be all over it but its still way to damm pricey for a round that dosent give the perfomance of the 358 or even the 35 remongton if its loaded up.

the up side is you can use normal reciver, mags (with mods) and every thing else in the kit if you like a really thin barrel other wise Id be looking for bigger ID RSB GB hand guard retainer FSB ETC. it certainly would make a cool gun

#8 ·
Id say go for it. one thing to watch out for is how close the chamber gets tot he barrel pin. its got to be close.
When I was planning my Beowulf build I wondered what to do about that problem. Then I scored a virgin trunnion which made things simpler.

Anyway, a Yugo trunnion doesn't have rivets behind the barrel, so you can rivet the barreled trunnion into the receiver. I was thinking about putting the barrel and trunnion together, shaping the pin to the diameter of the barrel, then running the chambering reamer in through the trunnion. Most reamers are plenty long enough to reach.

Downsides:

1) you'd have to reach about two inches from the back of the trunnion to the pin. Shaping it would take a steady hand.

2) the pin really ought to be about the same hardness as the barrel

3) the discontinuity between the pin and the barrel would act as a chip breaker. It might do odd things with a highly tapered cartridge like a 7.62x39, but it shouldn't make much difference to a nearly-straight cartridge.

#7 ·
Yes it will be a good 'intermediate' round. Bigger capacity than the .45 Winmag and the .44 ?? Gunco Special since it is based on the .284 cartridge. Components are a bit pricey but at least they are making stuff for it.

#10 ·
the problem is not case capacity its the pressure you should limit it to. there are some gains from extra case capacity but the pressure is the limiting factor IMOO A saiga 308 would be a good start but that aint cheap. if the bush master could run at 55,000 PSI then you would really have some thing. Im hoping the round catches on and brass and reamers become more common and cheaper. a Yugo trunion could have the bulges milled off so to fit a standard reciver some what and make things easier.

#13 ·
HMMMM I would not mind having a second Saiga to turn in to a parts kit to make a decent gun out of. $400 is getting pretty close to my budget. what I dont get is they cost no more to make than any other saiga but they tack on a extra $150+ just because it shoots .308. They would sell a ton of them if they were priced accordingly.

I bet there is not more than three dollars differant in production costs. every one would have one if they were $350 new like they should be. either that of sthrow some decent furniture on them as well as a decent trigger so they can be used as is.

#14 ·
If I was going to do a 458 or so size build on a saiga Id give it some balls and use a 308 length case but with a more case capacity. the 458x2 barnes AKA the 458x2 american would be perfect for this it uses a cut down 458 mag case or any other mag case to make a round that fits in a 308 length mag. I was working on a 1.5" version when the bushmaster came out. Im thinking one of those 7.62x54r variants would be perfecct for a conversion as the bolt face should be closer. it also head spaces on the belt instad of the case mouth so that means you wont have to case trim and mic every reload like the 450 bush, socom, beoulf, 444???? gunco suprise express LOL

there is also a 458x1.5 barnes that has been done as well and is pretty damm cloase to what i was working on.

#17 ·
Id just buy it for $130 or so get one with a removable pilot. Im sure you could sell it for around close to what you pay for it. You kmight be able to even do it cheaper than renting.

if i wasent so swamped with other projects Id buy one and just do a chamber for you for a small fee. Im sure there would be some intrest in chambered barrels if you had the reamer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.