Thread: Tromix 375 Marlin, 444 Marlin, .458 SOCOM (pics)

Feedback Score

Default Tromix 375 Marlin, 444 Marlin, .458 SOCOM (pics)

I thought I would share some pics of AK conversions I have done in the past. The SOCOM's were done back in 2002 or so.

Tony Rumore
    Tromix

Cobbled up #1 prototype .458 SOCOM.

Prototype #2 .458 SOCOM

.444 Marlin

.375/444 Marlin

Feedback Score

Tony,
    nice work. just a small "Q" if you please. what mag and folower (.223/ x39, biy folower) did you use on the .480 socom? I have given a thought or to two on making/converting an ak over to .45 bushmaster or .458 socom but the mag issue keeps getting in the way.
    thanks muttman

Feedback Score

I just used a standard .223 Bulgarian waffle mag as shown in the pics. I don't recall, but I may have had to lower the very front edge a bit to allow the big-ass bullets to clear as they were stripped out.

Both receivers were milled Firing Line units.

Regarding the .450 Bushmaster, that may prove more difficult to do, since the smaller diameter cartridge body is going to want to stack-and-a-half in a .223 AK magazine. That will side-load the mag body, swell it, and the rounds may bind up after inserting more than a few.

I have plans to build a 50AE AK, but just haven't made time to get it done.

Tony

Feedback Score

Tony,
    Thanks. I assumed that the .45 bush. Using the ar mag would still work with an ak mag, but all is not lost if the .458 will fit in a .223 ak mag with no mod's. Now all I need is a barrel.
    Muttman

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Tony great to see you here. I emailed about 5 years ago about details on the SOCOM. I hope you stick around. I find it weird to see you as a Rookie here when you have done more than most with these. I have followed your work on other sites.

In your opinon what pressures and bolt thrust will the AK handel??? have you ever had one loaded up to the point were the head space ever changed??

I actualy went out and bought a 410 to convert into a 444 thinking it had not been done and was linked to your sight when I propsed it as you had already been there done that. I still plan on one as well a a .41 version. I plan on using rimless case by cutting down 30-06. Im hoping to avoid having to use a shrouded barrel any thought on going away from the shrouded barrel?? Im planing on a 308 style mag instead of a 410 Saiga mag.

Again thanks for posting the picks Id love to hear some performance details of the 375/444 and were did you get dies?? I might go that route instead of a 41/444

there is a link here to a 50 AE BTW done by Willie check it out he did a great job on it.

Feedback Score

I am not sure what kind of bolt thrust a standard AK bolt can take, since I have never broken one, but I have tested AR bolts to the breaking point. I built Tromix AR's from 1998 - 2005 in 17 Mach IV, 17 Tactical, 17 Rem, 20 Tactical, 204 Ruger, 223, 6x45, 6PPC, 30/221, 338x39, 357 Automag, 44 Automag, 44 Rem Mag, 440 Corbon Mag, .458 SOCOM, .475 Tremor, and 50AE. I have also done caliber conversions on the Mini-14 .458 SOCOM, Sig 556 .458 SOCOM, AK's in .458 SOCOM, and M1 carbines in both 10mm Magnum and .502 Thunder Sabre. What really elevates the rearward bolt thrust is necking down a cartridge. The more shoulder you have, the more back thrust you are going to get. At one time I had a weak batch of AR bolts and opened four of them up to fit the 50AE case head. I then chambered two uppers in .440 CorBon mag and two in 50AE using those bolts. The two 50AE uppers ran about 400 rounds before the lugs sheared off the bolts. The .440 CB Mag uppers sheared the bolts at round count #1 and #3.

So.....if you take something like a .308 Saiga, you should have no trouble running it in .338 Federal, .358 Winchester, etc, but it may not handle being necked down to 17 caliber or something. Then again, it's all just speculation until you actually pull the trigger on it.

Considering that, if the Saiga .410 bolt can handle the .375/.444, then it should have no trouble with the .41/444. I bought the RCBS .375/.444 dies off a dealer that had them up on E-bay.

Anyone considering a caliber conversion on ANY magazine fed gun, should sort out the magazine FIRST, then work on the rest of the gun.

Tony Rumore
    Tromix

P.S. I have a .458 Win Mag Browning BAR Sporter conversion in work now. Should be done shortly.

Feedback Score

Thanks for the kudos 1BG. Actually the conversion is in 500 S&W. There are several posts out there on the web. Just search "Saiga 500 S&W conversion". I'm at work now but am packed to go deer/hog hunting directly from work today. I try to take a pic of the "500 & Me" with the Blackberry at lunch and post it this afternoon. Deer season opens tomorrow! Tony you do fantastic work.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.