Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1st x25 starting tomorrow

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

just mill a bols/carrrier out of square stock and weld on a guide rod. This will make it much simpler.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

1bg muttman

kiss is the way i look at everything. i work in the engineering field and it amazes me at how many seemingly competent engineers NEEDLESSLY over complicate designs. i have gotten into more pissing contest over this than one should.

now on to more important things. i have a chunk of square stock. what i do not know is whether i need exotic steel (ie 4130). what i have is regular run of the mill steel. my thoughts were, if i go this route, is to drill it cut it heat it quench it. if you really look at the eod bolt, it is a simple as it gets. 1bg you mention welding the guide rod like the eod bolt. i read somewhere on another board, several were slamming the welded process. i didnt feel that was an issue. there are purist who think it has to be the "perfect" way or no way. based on the numbers of ak's running around places that have nothing more than a camels hip bone for tools, i think i may be ok.
    al gore is full of carbon enriched shit

Feedback Score

reg. heat/quench on common steel will not work ovet time. just to be safe use 4140 normalized (no temper) slightly harder than 4130 with no heattreat, not needed with pistol ammo. common steel is too soft and will eather deform or ware out to fast.
    muttman

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Id go with a better steel also the price of it will be small change in the long run. you can heat treat it then if you desire.

As far a purists an the AK, I see it like this you can have perfect rivets, spot welds,demples, markings ect and it will still never be original and a fake is a fake now matter how you make it look. unless its a original full auto then its never going to be the same. I saw the other day were some air soft guys were going to great lenghts to make there guns look origional as well LOL. In the long run its about as important as a Beanie babay that has a certain color thread VS one that dont. I admire the work and skill it take to do a build like that but its still not a real AK so why get that carried away. I saw a VW bug awhile back with a fake rolls front end on it and it made me think of how a SA AK is really just a fake also.

if your not into having a welded part then just make the block taller and thread in a gas pistion. Im not real sure why you neven need the rod or pistion or gas tube at all. Id just eleminate all un needed parts. I plan on doing a guide rod type deal on mine I dont see the since in having a non functional gas block,tube an pistion loose the weight IMOO. Id keep only the needed parts if i was building from scratch.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I saw a VW bug awhile back with a fake rolls front end
    And to add to that, it's like saying "I have a Porsche" and then show me a VW Bug

I'd think the only thing the fake piston like EOD uses might help keep the bolt straight if the bolt is made kind of short in length. Just guessing at this, never tested it.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

i was wondering the same about th rod. unless it adds some weight i dont see the point either. the mpi69 22 trainer doesnt have one. bg i'm with you. a guide rod makes better sense. i am lookingat some 4140 steel frm a place tht sells remnants. its called onlinemetals. an 18" long bar of 1.5" dia round was $18. they didnt have any square in stock.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Also check this place, it's their eBay store. Look at the side bar for metal types.
    7075 Aluminum 6061 Aluminum items - Get great deals on Bar, Rod items on eBay Stores!
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

interesting stuff there. might be worth contacting them about other sizes.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

And here's their actual web site, I haven't looked through it yet.
    Industrial Metal Sales :: Home

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

jackpot! industrial metals 4130 Flat Bar 1" X 1 1/4" X 12" $9.00

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.