Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1st x25 starting tomorrow

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Smartbomb, please take plenty of progress pics, as I want to build one of these next summer, once I get the 3 current builds done and off my plate, and some $$$ put back on. I have been interested for awhile, but other projects were on the gotta build it list. TIA,

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

2nd been awhile. i will take plenty of pix. oh and i will bug the shit out of the seasoned ones here for advice and most likely a shoulder to cry on. this will be fun.
    al gore is full of carbon enriched shit

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jackpot! industrial metals 4130 Flat Bar 1" X 1 1/4" X 12" $9.00
    Hmmm might be just what I need for some of my cantalever scope mounts. I want to be able to temper them to make them stiffer and les prone to bending.

Id like to find some 1/1/4 a 2" for some bolts and other projects. I want to do some rear trunions with threads for a AR buffer tube all in one piece

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

bg you seem to have a handle on milling. for small stuff like a bolt, would an xy table on a drill press work?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

bg you seem to have a handle on milling. for small stuff like a bolt, would an xy table on a drill press work?
    I wouldn't try it with steel, you might be able to get away with it on aluminum, you'll just wear out the bearing fast and it most likely get chatter.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

double post... duhhh.
    Last edited by Viper Dude; 11-25-2010 at 02:30 AM. Reason: double posted due to crummy keyboard

Feedback Score

Hello smartbomb,
    As Coils said the drillpress has miserable bearings and rigidity for milling. Most X-Y axis vises or tables are also very marginal for mill work.

That said... It is possible to do some modest grinding work using a decent drillpress. By grinding I mean using fiber abrasive discs held with an arbor in the drillpress chuck. They can slice and slot some small work OK.

Some small die grinder or Dremel burrs can be used in a drillpress to approximate milling. I have used this technique also for model airplane work on metal including steel. It can chatter big time if you get carried away taking large cuts.

There have been plans for adding an extra bearing/extension to a drill press so it can handle the side forces much better. I haven't tried that one as yet.

Otherwise milling in a drillpress is a rather persistent myth. I suggest shopping for a real millng machine or a friend who has one !!! A friend with a mill who would teach you how to use it is a great start. That's how I got started. Then I got my own small bench mill (a used Atlas) by trading a couple Mauser rifles.

VD

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

cool! i figured as much. friend of a friend has one and cousin i havent seen in years may also(he was the industrial arts director at my high school many yrs ago).

anyway, cooking a big bird and have about 30 headin my way. ya'll have a great thanksgiving.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    Smartbomb, please take plenty of progress pics, as I want to build one of these next summer, once I get the 3 current builds done and off my plate, and some $$$ put back on. I have been interested for awhile, but other projects were on the gotta build it list. TIA,

PLEASE do, im also thinking of doing a x25 build as well

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Speedy Metals Online Industrial Metal Supply
    2" {A} Sq 4140 Cold Finished $2.98/in
    1-1/4" {A} Sq 4140 Cold Finished $1.46/in

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.