Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Saiga 410 to 500 S&W conversion

Feedback Score

Default Saiga 410 to 500 S&W conversion

Some of yall that know me have read about my project 2+ yrs ago. I promised one individual that more info would be posted. For lack of a better excuse (I'm not hunting, working or doing "honey dos" cuz it raining here) took some pics and will do a little more esplaning....

Pic1. Shows barrel (same config as the 410 barrel) and new mag locking block for 223 Norinco magazine. Follower is dished like a 450 Bush or 50 Beowulf.

Pic2. new mag locking block from bottom

Pic3. Mag w/round inserted in receiver

Pic4. Round in chamber

Pic5. Metered gasblock my own design

Pic6. Meter valve with orifices timed and numbered
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

more.......

Pic6. Tungsten carbide piston with carbon grooves. This weapon uses a floating piston like the saiga shotguns.

Pic7. "Gas block" left side with angled setscrew for lock down. Note spring loaded plunger for timing gas plug.

Pic8. "Gas block" right side with angled setscrew for lock down.

Pic9. Bottom view of gas block showing access hole for the actual gas port.

Pic10. The total weapon with welded on muzzle break.

Pic11. Foam insert glued to stock for "CHEEK WELD". Actually needed for picking up quick red dot quickly. No weld, no red dot, no shot, NO SHIT!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

Barrel is from Green Mountain 15" pistol barrel that is why the muzzle brake is welded to give me 16+ inches of legal length. I shoot this same round in a 500 S&W 4" revolver. Chronoed 385gr at 2000fps using 42gr LILGUN in the rifle. I know the gun is butt ugly and have heard all the "make it look like an AK" but its my soap and my rope..... The rifle is a 5 shot tool my pistol is a 5 shot tool. No feeding issues with 5rds. It works so I don't screw with it. I did all the machining, welding and fitting. Use any or all my data at your own risk.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

That is pretty cool Willie. Would love to see it in action. Like the gas system too.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Hey glad to see more info on that build perticulary the breach end of the barrel with the shroud. what kind of accuracy did you get out of it????

Its one of my favorite builds that I have seen on the net, and I dont think its ugly at all. I like things built with a purpose and it obviously has one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Funny, just a few hours ago I was discussing possibilities of .460 S&W Magnum using a Saiga .410, would also accept .45 Colt & .454 Casull

I was wondering if the lugs were strong enough to handle the pressure- if they can handle .500 S&W, .460 S&W is slightly less energy

Very nice work, I really like it! Especially the gas system...
    I was talking myself out of it, but you may have resurrected the sickness...

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my keyboard...

It that one of the 20rd Tantal magazines? Or did you shorten something else?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Too cool! Thanks for the pictures

Better than a beer-can AK, fo sho!
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score

1BG
    I need to make another scope mount that is closer. The scout type mount sucks big time for anything but good lighting conditions. The rifle was built for HOG HUNTIN and hogs tend to like the night shift. Accuracy is adequate for hunting @ about 4 moa. I don't know if it's me or the GM barrel.
    TRX
    The magazine is a modded 5RD Norinco 223. Where can I find TANTAL 20rd mags? I would love some. Modded the follower with a ball peen hammer and a chunk of aluminum for dished config like a Bushmaster or Beowulf.
    Lunyfringe
    As far as 460 S&W/454 Cas/ 45 LC I won't say it can't be done but I'd pick the 454 if possible cuz that LONG straight 460 case is going to play hell with feeding. Did modify some of my brass with a small chamfer just ahead of the rim so the the rims don't hang up on the next round in the mag. Like Tony Rumore said in his post, finding a mag that works is the biggest hurdle. As far as lug strength I suggest you tread with caution. The test done for action strength was on my rifle and your lugs may or may not be the same. I did my own testing with Die penetrate and bolt set back measurements. I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL PROOF TESTER.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Okay, looks like I put my foot in my mouth. The 20 rounder I was thinking of was apparently 7.62x39. This site: A Guide to 5.45mm Kalashnikov Magazine Types shows a 20 round 5.45 mag, but apparently it was just a prototype.

Somewhere I saw a page on how to cut down a 30-round mag to 10-round, though. The author said the only trick was to remember to leave some tabs of metal to bend for the floor plate to lock to. Next time your're ordering parts you might want to pick up a cheap Galil mag and do some sheet metal work.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.