Gunco Forums banner

Starting 7.62x25 Gas Op Build-Advice Appreciated

7K views 51 replies 12 participants last post by  jreifsch80 
#1 ·
OK, I'm getting ready to start the buying parts phase on a x25 gas operated carbine. So far, here is my plan:

Apex AK74 kit for main components. (what I don't need, I can stockpile or sell) $265.00

Royal Tiger PPS43 kit for the magwell and 4 mags. $69.00

RTG for HK sight conversion kit. $45.00

Green Mountain for a .311 barrel blank that I will have another lister finish for me. $33.00

I have read tons of information on the 7.62x25 caliber conversion, but there is a fair amount of conflicting information. I plan to try and follow 2XTM's write up over at Weapons Guild on building a gas op set-up. His is absolutely georgeous, and runs perfect. Only problem is that his is designed around a nice machined aluminum magwell, and PPSH41 mags. If I had access to one of those magwells, it sure would make life easier. Oh well.

Any rate, that is my current thoughts on a parts list. Before I start burning up the plastic, I wanted to run it by the experts, so I don't buy something wrong. Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#28 ·
Definitely need to borrow 8mm headspace gauge(s)! Non numbers matching kit hasn't arrived yet, but has shipped. I'm in that helpless position of waiting on all kinds of stuff to come in. Where can I get the cheap handguards?? That's a good idea!

#30 ·
OK, I have all of my parts short of the barrel, which hopefully is on it's way to the machinist. I removed the magwell from the PPSH43 by drilling out the spotwelds and separating with a cold chisel. Cleaned up nice. I was originally going to build off my own home made flat, and cut a smaller magwell opening, but I don't think that will work. Hard to explain, but to get the 43's magwell into the AK receiver I think it will need the full length magwell, opened up at the forward end to the same width as the rear section. This will allow the 43 magwell to move forward enough to meet the AK74 trunnion. Now I "think" that I need to machine a little out of the mag opening on the rear of the front trunnion to get the 43's magwell far enough forward to be able to have the round entering the chanmer before it's totally out of the mag. Does this sound reasonable or correct?? Thanks for any input.

#31 ·
Finally starting the actual build. I'm in the process of milling out the trunnion to get the correct fit between the magwell, mag, and barrel. Here's what she looked like before milling the trunnion to fit:

Attachments

#33 ·
Smart, I take it that you mean your handguards are for sale?

#35 ·
SURE!!!!! Thanks! Will PM contact info.

#36 ·
More progress pics:

Attachments

#37 ·
To anyone who has done a gas op 7.62x25 based AKM, how close were you able to get the magazine to the end of the barrel? Were you able to mill enough out of the bottom of the trunnion to get the mag forward enough to where the tip of the round was entering the barrel before the case rim was out of the magazine?

#40 ·
WOW SW44, that way farther than I have mine I may have to take some more off, but I'm waiting on the barrel. As soon as I get that I can do some further work.

"J" I like the way the magwell fits into the AK receiver at the moment. It allows for easy welding/mounting. I may take off a little more like SW44 aand tack weld the bullet guide into place. I'm still just aft of the rivet at the moment. We'll see when I get the barrel section from Bob.

#41 ·
Good to see someone else using clecos to hold their parts in place! I have a TOK build in progress myself(my first build actually), using an AMD-65 kit and a receiver I bent out of 301 1/2 hard stainless. Hopefully my barrel shows up in the next week or two!

#42 ·
Gotta love Clecos!!!!! Used them on all of my builds. Somewhere in the 15 range so far. They work great. I've built 2 from stainless as well. On the side I'm working on another stainless receiver for one of my Yugo M70 underfolders. Trimmed it all up today. Good luck with yours Girth.

#44 ·
I wish Dutigaf!!!! Still waiting for my barrel.

#45 ·
OK, got my barrel, so now I am back on it. Hope to make some progress this week/weekend.

#46 ·
Update

Finally got back on this build. finished milling out the bottom of the trunnion to fit the magwell. Also swiss cheesed the bolt carrier to lighten it up as much as possible. Here is a mock up pic, as well as the bolt carrier:

Attachments

#48 ·
very cool chris i can't wait to start mine. instead of a gas block front sight combo i'm going to modify the front sight to mount the gas tube to it like a bizon since mine will be blowback. i need to order a pps43 kit for the mag well and i think i might modify the 43's bolt and weld it to a carrier. when will you be rady to take it for a test run?

#49 ·
J, I have a spare PPS43 kit with magwell, if you're interested. Make you a great deal on it.

Thanks Rapid, I appreciate it. It's coming along. Hopefully I can have it ready to test by this coming weekend. Here's another pic of the progress so far:

Attachments

#51 ·
Blackfetus, yeah I'm going to SBR it. I have an AMD 65 based pistol trunnion that I am going to use until I get the tax stamp. Then switch out with the one test fit in the pic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.