Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting 7.62x25 Gas Op Build-Advice Appreciated

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Default Starting 7.62x25 Gas Op Build-Advice Appreciated

OK, I'm getting ready to start the buying parts phase on a x25 gas operated carbine. So far, here is my plan:

Apex AK74 kit for main components. (what I don't need, I can stockpile or sell) $265.00

Royal Tiger PPS43 kit for the magwell and 4 mags. $69.00

RTG for HK sight conversion kit. $45.00

Green Mountain for a .311 barrel blank that I will have another lister finish for me. $33.00

I have read tons of information on the 7.62x25 caliber conversion, but there is a fair amount of conflicting information. I plan to try and follow 2XTM's write up over at Weapons Guild on building a gas op set-up. His is absolutely georgeous, and runs perfect. Only problem is that his is designed around a nice machined aluminum magwell, and PPSH41 mags. If I had access to one of those magwells, it sure would make life easier. Oh well.

Any rate, that is my current thoughts on a parts list. Before I start burning up the plastic, I wanted to run it by the experts, so I don't buy something wrong. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

doubletapme is a master builder and will answer almost any question you have...

his custom magwells are works of art but you dont have to be as fancy as he is..

im not gonna be for sure, just because my skills are not on par with his.

the 41 mags are the best for centerfeeding but you have to alter the cage and such if you dont have a litchenberg magwell.

im actually using a 43 stick mag on mine just so that it interchanges with my TOK AR builds...

you can use either a pps43 magwell or some spacer plates. just take s a little imagination and extra time.

stay after it...
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Id go with a .308 blank If it were mine..that is what I have been chambering the barrels I do in.

A .311 may work just fine however I havent done one yet. i do know a .308 bore does work and is the norm. ( depending on what you read) most bullets are .309.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

All the TOK 7.62x25 bullets I've pulled (Bulgarian and Polish) are .307

OK for my .309 CZ-52 but not optimal.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score

Hello 2nd A,
    A gas-operated 7.62x25mm could also include a modified SKS !!!

VD

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

An idea I had was to move the trunnion back so slightly modified 43 mags could rock and lock like ak mags I was just thinking about it now and saw your thread now it makes me want to make mine a gas op too. I was thinking if you move the trunnion back say.... An inch (not actual measurment just for example) the I was thinking I could then cut the same amount off the back of the bolt and carrier which would reduce weight (good for gas op) but I'm sure some more swiss cheese cuts would still be needed. But maybe a guy could shorten the trigger gaurd and push the trunnion back to be able to shorten the bolt and carrier as much as possible that would take some good weight off though a little bit of metal might need to be welded on the carrier to extend the carrier guide slots forward but that wouldn't be all that hard. Those are some ideas I've had as I was thinking of making my x25 as short and little as possible with a skorpion pistol grip and basicly making a skorpion on steroids haha

You might want to look into using some sort of gas booster muzzle device as well but like mentioned before double tap was able to get his to run fine so a booster isn't needed if the carrier is lightened enough.

Just some ideas so far

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

You also have to remember that DoubleTapMe said he opened the gas port a little more then needed, he said he wanted to make sure it got more gas then it needed.

You'll bee fine with the PPS43 mag well, AZHonkey made a 9mm and I think a x25 using this setup.
    Will it looks as nice as 2XTM's mag well, most likely not. Will it be less work then making a mag well like his, definitely yes.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Thanks for the input guys.

1biggun, I'm still looking for a suitable barrel, but I have been told that the original barrel diameter on the PPS43 was .311, so a .311 blank should work. Not sure about the accuracy of that size, but my intent is as a CQB weapon, long distance accuracy is not a huge issue.

ViperDude, what do you mean about a modified SKS? Do you mean an SKS barrel?? First off, is there enough chamber area to cut off and still have enough room to rechamber and still fit into an AK74 trunnion? Second, are the SKS barrels chrome lined? If so, then that is a no-go as it will wreck the chamber reamer.

"J", I plan to go full length, but I "will" be using my own home made flat so I can cut out a proper sized magwell opening. I don't know sh*t about the PPS43, or how the mags lock into place. How does that mag catch system work?

Thanks Coils for the vote of confidence. I know I can do it, I'm just not sure how easy it will be. I want to arm myself with as much info as possible, and have a good plan to follow.

Feedback Score

Hello 2ndA,
    By SKS I meant the whole thing converted to 7.62x25mm. I'd use a chamber adapter Loctited in place, a clone extractor, magwell adapter, and a lightened recoil spring. The magwell adapter would directly replace the SKS trap door thing. The clone extractor adapts the smaller x25 round to the bolt face and ejector. Some opening up of the forward magwell receiver area may be needed near the chamber.

note: The SKS barrels I've seen were all chromed.

VD
    Last edited by Viper Dude; 12-31-2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: add info

Feedback Score

hey 2nd I too am gathering parts for x25 build looks like we are on same track I had the pps43 stuff but decided to go 41 route and fab my magblock,
    when you stick both mags between trunion it just make since, you can buy mags for $10
    ever thing Ive read says you want round going into chamber while still engaged in mag to be reliable. make sense to me, Im still working on my mag block but I have an Idea what I want to do
    PPsH-41 36rd Stick Mag - $9.95 : Military Gun Supply, Parts Kits, Surplus GunsPPsH-41 36rd Stick Mag - $9.95 :

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.