Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: chamber plug

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

The original Weatherby wildcats had considerable freebore, so I don't understand why it's an issue. These are AK rifles, not hunting or benchrest firearms.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

im tryin to do the cheapest and easiest for me
    30 dollars to rent a reamer and its susposed to be for doing one chamber. I have no idea if they can tell how much its been used but if it comes back dull you will get charged. they also charge for shipping both ways so your looking at more Money.
    so say you have $40 to or more to rent a reamer yoy will not own and then you will have another $10 plus shipping for a the barrel so call it $17. so you now have close to
    $60 into doing a barrel with a crap bore and a barrel pin hole that wont head space correctly on your trunion not to mention it will need to be completly reprofiled to fit any other flavor of AK except a Yugo kit. Now on top of that you have to some how bore out the old chamber percisly with some sort of a piolted reamer that Im doubt you have. A drill bit is not going to work right for this and keep in mind the bottom of the hole will need to be flat so you can get your insert to seat against it or some other percise meathod to allow you to transistion from insert to old barrel. to further complicate issues the frre bore is going to be extream and its not going to shot worth a damm. As far as trying to time the rifleing from a threaded insert made from one worn out barrel to match the rifeling of a differant worn out barrel and be smoost and match forget it. It would be extreamly difficult to get it aligned perfectly the first try when pressing it from three inches away and there is zero chance that the rifling will match perfectly in groove and land heights and depths.

I see this as being very very far from easy and is not really going to be cheap either.

If you have acess to a lathe I recomend finding a take off barrel for cheap like the springfield drill rifles had when you can get them or better yet any 30 cal remington or other bolt action take off for around $35 on up profiling it on your dads buddys lathe ( something your going to need to redo on the yugo barrel anyway) and then ordering a reamer for rent or sending it to me or some one else and having it Properly chambered for you. I likely can do it for about what reanting a reamer costs. then insead of a worn out excesive free bore incorrect conture barrel with a make shift insert you would have a fresh bore, correct bore, virgin , properly chambered barrel that will be much much more accurate and safer.

I like yor imagination and ideas and Im not discourging you from thinking out side of the box infact I like it. I just think your trying to make something from nothing and kits are not cheap any more, so why every one wants to stick a bad barrel on them is odd for me.

I have several chamber inserts in x25 to 54r and they do not shoot that great so i speak from some experiance.

now if you really want to salvage a 10 dollar barrel and make it shoot better here is a idea that might work bore the barrel completly out and then install a liner made form another 10 dollar barrel that is around 8-10 inches long. then you would have correct chamber and free bore. you will still need a piloted bit or reamer and they do make them for relineing barrels and then a way to bore the chamber are as well to take your insert/liner. it still is a ton of work and will stil require a reamer and other special tooling but at least it might shoot straight.
    Last edited by 1biggun; 01-22-2011 at 03:39 PM.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The original Weatherby wildcats had considerable freebore, so I don't understand why it's an issue. These are AK rifles, not hunting or benchrest firearms.
    I doubt they had close to 3/4 of inch. I forget why he did that somthing to do with keeping pressures down. more likely to allow hand loaders more freedom to load differnt bullets. It should be noted that they dont build them that way now. Dont forget the x39 round already has a tone of free bore as it is, adding even more with a transisition in the middle is not going to help things. i relize this is not a target gun build but you still want to be able to hit something or you might as well not build it as a rifle.

I can see trying to save a barrel on some super rare or special gun were the value of it would be destroyed if it didnt have the original markings but for build like this it just dont make sence to me at least. if it was a survival situation possably.

Im pretty sure i could do the work and make the insert and all that but I just dont think a sloopy bore witha TON of freebore is going to make a very good barrel. I suspose I could do one for giggles on one just to see how bad or good it would be. finding a reamer or to cut away the old chamber would be tough. Im still thinking about that one. Im sure one can be made possably from a end mill reground or some thing. I was thinking a 300 WSM reamer ran in part way might work and then a insert could be made to fit that. I dont have a 300WSM reamer however.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I think for 7.62x25 it probably won't matter too much anyway, at least for use on 50-100 yard ranges which is where I would ever consider using it... ?
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score

Another possibility would be a cheap mosin barrel and a chamber insert from sports mans guide.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Another possibility would be a cheap mosin barrel and a chamber insert from sports mans guide.
    they work but again very poor accuracy and its going to cost you for the addapter as well as the barrel. GM sells blanks for $35 and as mentioned a reamer can be rented ot purchased.

you get even more free bore with the x54. and the bore is also .311 although they vary. If you can find good cheap nosin barrels buy them there food for lots of other projects like regular AK barrrels

the x25 round can be pretty accurate especially if reloaded. My H&R handi rifle insert is pleanty accurate out to 75 yards or more. No it wont shoot 1" with facotry surplus but I is not horrable. the mosin,s with the insert is not good at all.

also keep in mind that those inserts dont glue in they are a loose fit

Feedback Score

Convinced my little brother to get a ppsh41 parts kit for his birthday, ever since he started playing call of duty he's had a fascination with them so looks like I'll abandon my tokarev ak idea for now to build my brothers birthday present.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.