Gunco Forums banner

bolts carriers and trunnions

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  classicmachine 
#1 ·
probably been asked and answered but...

will a 74 bolt work with a 47 carrier and trunnion? or... do they all need to be from the same family tree?

i seem to recall reading somewhere that they were interchangeable, but be damned if i can remember where.

#3 ·
Yes they are smaller. As I recall, there are no -74 bolts that use the AKM style thick stem. The Romanian SARs use the AKM stem, but I don't recall they have a 5.45 model, only 7.62 and 5.56.

#4 ·
74 BOLT HAS A SMALL STEM, THE LUGS ARE A LITTLE LONGER AS WELL.

IM PRETTY SURE THAT IT WILL WORK WITH A 47 TRUNION IF THE BARREL IS SPACED AHEAD. I PLAN ON USING 74 BOLTS ON YUGO M70 TRUNIONS FOR MY 243 AND 308 BUILDS. I THINK THAT WILL YEILD THE STONGEST POSSABLE TWO LUG SET UP.
I HAVE SLEAVED A CARRIER TO TAKE A 74 BOLT TO GET A SUPER TIGHT CLEARANCE BUT CARRIERS ARE STILL REASONABLY PRICED.

#6 ·
I don't think I have tried a 74 bolt in a '47 trunion... I've done it the other way around, an AKM bolt in a '74 trunion, but I modified the bolt ramp to make it fit. Now you have me curious... :)

#8 · (Edited)
it wouldnt be too hard to adjust, just remove the akm bullet guide and either rework it by moving the rotation ramp forward as needed with a file or just replacing it with a 74 bullet guide. (edit: which route is taken would be determined by caliber as a 7.62x25 build with a 74 bolt might work better with a akm guide modded for a 74 bolt)

im sure an akm carrier could, in theory, be modified to work with a 74 bolt but that would be very hard to justify when bulgy 74 carriers can be bought for 25 bucks or so

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.